• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unable to chew and no appetite

RLO

Young Bun
Any tips or questions for the vet?

Will add details in the comments as the site keeps logging me out.

A night of emergency vet, syringe feeding, emeprid and Metacam. Off to our vet for 9.45am appointment.

It’s as if he can’t open his mouth to nibble or chew properly.

He was quiet yesterday afternoon and didn’t come out of his run for free (supervised) lawn time. He had his annual vaccination and check up only last Friday. He did get a bit damp on Wednesday- both bunnies will sit too close to the edge of the run, which is covered so no need to get wet! He’s a German lop and we have had ear issues. Mites a couple of years ago. We check his ears weekly and clean out ear wax plus he was on canaural back in the summer.

Could be a dental problem, a recurrence of an ear problem or, if he truly cannot open his mouth, a dislocated or fractured jaw.

Hope the Vet can help him and that he will soon be feeling better

Heading home from the vet - no obvious dental or other physical problems (apart from head tilt and maybe small tooth spur but thought unlikely to be the cause) and temperature ok. We mentioned e cuniculi but main concern is his gut stasis. Left him at the vets for iv pain relief, gut stimulants and feeding. Will get an update later today - they don’t have overnight care at this surgery. 🤞

Last edited:
For completeness, assuming they've not been ruled out by previous examination, I would be asking about:
- Maybe check blood sugar - indicates level of gut stasis or possible blockage
- Head X-ray - to check jaw alignment, etc, and teeth & tooth roots (they can't be seen properly in a conscious rabbit anyway), plus any other abnormalities (not sure if ear mass etc would show up)

X-ray may not be needed and requires sedation, so I would ask but hold off doing it unless it sounded like it would be useful.

Pain relief will be needed when you get home, especially if you don't know the cause of the issue. It makes a huge difference as to whether a rabbit will eat or not. Plus you will need ongoing gut meds to give at home for at least a few days. I assume he's pooing and that a blockage has been ruled out? You will need to keep up with syringe feeding until he's eating properly by himself, and passing poo as normal (quantity, size, shape, colour, etc).

For completeness, assuming they've not been ruled out by previous examination, I would be asking about:
- Maybe check blood sugar - indicates level of gut stasis or possible blockage
- Head X-ray - to check jaw alignment, etc, and teeth & tooth roots (they can't be seen properly in a conscious rabbit anyway), plus any other abnormalities (not sure if ear mass etc would show up)

X-ray may not be needed and requires sedation, so I would ask but hold off doing it unless it sounded like it would be useful.

Pain relief will be needed when you get home, especially if you don't know the cause of the issue. It makes a huge difference as to whether a rabbit will eat or not. Plus you will need ongoing gut meds to give at home for at least a few days. I assume he's pooing and that a blockage has been ruled out? You will need to keep up with syringe feeding until he's eating properly by himself, and passing poo as normal (quantity, size, shape, colour, etc).

As well as the above fluid therapy can make a huge difference when treating gut stasis. Your Vet can teach you how to administer IV or Subcutaneous fluids when he comes home, to have as well as medication.

Tried to post an update and it kicked me out so I will be brief - vets all day then we transferred him to hospital for tonight. Everything crossed for better news.

Blood glucose test is on the list of actions. No obvious cause and too poorly to sedate for X-rays. 🙏

We had some time with him and will be on call but no news is good news tonight and had better catch up on sleep now, 24 hours since emergency vet .

Sending you and your bunny positive vibes. I hope hou get good news in the morning.

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk

He’s stable but still not voluntarily eating or pooping so keeping him in today and likely tonight. Blood glucose ok at 10.2��

For info (figures from Frances Harcourt Brown, Blood glucose in mmol/l):

4-8 normal
8-14 possible gut stasis, may be stress induced
15 watch and repeat in 1 hour
15+ - 20 Needs treatment
20+ probable surgical case

Sadly he was found unresponsive a short time ago and the vets were unable to revive him. Off to collect him this afternoon. Thank you all for your concern and support. ��

Back