• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

U/D Vibes please :( Poor Tao : ( back from vets...

~Splottifer~

Warren Scout
Taosprob.jpg

Please can someone advise me,

I just gave Tao and splot a carrot top and as she sat up to get it I noticed what I thought was a wound on her left shoulder

I managed to get hold of her (she doesn't like being handled) and on closer inspection I thought she'd ripped the skin off it somehow as I thought I could see exposed muscle over about a 1" x 2" patch (most of its hidden by surrounding fur

As I was about to rush out of the door leaving mum to phone the vet I looked again and think maybe I over reacted a bit as it seems there IS skin there, is bunnies skin really thin? I think I can see her elbow bone through it though :cry:

the thing that puzzles me is there is no bllod except round the very edge it looks a bit like blood, redness but there is no blood or fur anywhere in the room or on her or Splott.

So now I'm wondering has one of them been over-grooming today.

Tao is acting 100% normal. eating hopping around bright eyed and bushy tailed.

at the moment I have her in carry case with Splott still loose.

can't take photo as battery charging but will do as soon as have some charge, until then artists impression above.

should I be rushing to the vet or can it wait til first thing tomorrow? (i know its hard to see from a drawing/description)

also Tao didnt act like it hurt when I was looking at it, was able to touch around it and she was not flinching or anything.

Sorry for saga, am panicking a bit :'(

Last edited:
I would get it checked tonight to be on the safe side - it could be an injury that you haven't noticed before or it could be the overgrooming.
Just incase she needs antibiotics for it then it's best to get the vet now. If it is overgrooming then it's only going to get worse :(
Let us know how Tao gets on - xxxx

Is Tao spayed?
If not she may have been having a phantom pregnancy and pulled out her fur too vigourously and injured herself in the process :cry:
If the skin is actually broken then I would seek advice from a Vet tonight. Vet may just tell you to bathe the affected area in cooled boiled water and then take Tao into the surgery tomorrow. But if the wound really is exposing muscle/bone then Tao needs to be seen by a Vet tonight

Good luck and I hope all goes well

Janex

wound2.jpg

wound1.jpg

thanks for the advice so far.

I am 99.9% certain that this is a raw patch rather than a "wound" as Tao is completely unconcerned about it and is behaving normally, there is no blood and the area looks as though it is damp from licking rather than seepage, my best metaphor is that it looks like raw chicken (with the skin on) I think it looks bad because it extends onto a joint where the skin is stretched tighter and Tao is a little under weight (according to my vet) so probably not much fat under skin.. My plan at the moment is to put both rabbits in adjacent dog crates and only have newspaper/ towel and food/ water/ hay/ in Tao's so the area stays clean. Is it ok to clean the area with a saline solution made from boiled water and a pinch of salt?

If I thought she was in distress I would take her to the vet this second (in fact would have left a while ago without posting on here) but if you agree with me that it should be ok over night (will obviously keep a close eye on her) I'd prefer not to disturb the vet and get myself the reputation of a hypochondriac owner (I worry vets might not look at your rabbits as thoroughly if you're in every five seconds with a concern as they dismiss you a bit as a worry-wort?!) not to mention that the harsh reality of life is that I have very little money and the expense of a middle of the night call out is something I'd like to avoid IF it is unnecessary. :(

P.S. I'm now concerned that one of them has ingested all that fur :shock: as I can't find it anywhere in the room (another reason I suspect this is grooming related rather than an injury)

how do I try and prevent whoever it is from becoming blocked with it?:cry:

and I was having such a good day.....

Poor buns :cry: :cry: :cry:

p.p.s. Jane, Tao is Spayed so I dont think its a nest building thing - plus as I said no sign of the fur.:?

Last edited:
I'd be concerned about the red scratch looking thing round the edge (apologies for poor explanation but that's the best I can come up with :oops: )

How are her poops this morning? Normal? Fur filled? I have taken a few poos to my Vets before now :oops: :oops: and the Vet gave them a pretty good examination so this fellow worry-wort did not feel stupid.

I think that is ringworm which is highly contageous, when I rescued Frodo he had it and it looked just like that, your bunny will need veterinary treatment for it though.

I feel so bad :( Tao is in the vets now about to have a general anasthetic so they can clean up her shoulder and inspect the wound. Vet says the skin has torn (hence no fur/skin lying around) he said taking her in last night would make no difference as they would have just booked her in for surgery in the morning anyway but I still feel really bad :cry: he says the wound looks quite old but I had her in the vets for vhd vaci, worming and general check up thursday afternoon and SURELY myself or the vet would have noticed it when we were handling her. I also had her up for a stroke and her next dose of panacur mid-day yesterday and I'm sure I would have felt it, even though it is hidden under all that fur :?

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Vibes for Tao please and her bad bunny mum :evil: :cry:

Hope Tao is OK, I'm sure this is something you would have noticed quickly if it had been there. Keep us informed on progress.

I hope she will be ok. Don't beat yourself up over it (easier said than done, I know). If the vet didn't notice and you have been handling her and didn't notice then it was probably very small and got larger quickly, which is when you found it. Hope she heals up soon :)

Thanks for all the support guys.

Tao is back from the vets. They did a general anasthetic and shaved off surrounding fur and cleaned the wound. The vet now says it is an abrasion not a slash/tear in the skin. I ave fuciderm cream to put on it twice daily.

here are some pics of her with her pretty new haircut :shock:

PoorTao.jpg

Poor girl it looks so sore, looks much worse really now the surrounding fur is gone and I can see the full extent :(

Vet said it looks like a burn or a scrape, but there is nothing hot in my room and I cant see anywhere she could have scraped it :?

I'm still wondering if the thing that has "scraped" it is: a bunnies tongue?

I just caught Tao licking and tugging at it :( she still doesnt act like it hurts :? surely it must do though.

Tao seems remarkably unphased by it all, thought she would stop eating and be all stressed *thank goodness she isnt, touch wood etc*

WHAT CAN I DO? :cry: :cry: :cry: I have no idea what caused this so I don't know how to prevent it from happening again

I'm currently seem to be keeping the vet in utilities and receptionists. £66 for this last episode :( will end up living in the uni carpark under a tarpaulin next year at this rate :shock:

How long ago was his VHD Vaccination?

That wound looks like a chemical burn/reaction

The VHD vaccine is very nasty if it gets ON the skin. I wonder if the Vet 'missed' with some of the Vaccine and it ran down Tao's shoulder

Does he have any small scab/abrasion/lump at the exact site of Vaccination (in the scruff of the neck)

:?

Janex

I agree with Jane - it does look like a burn from a chemical :( I would apply a thin smear of the fuciderm (make sure you don't overdo it as it has steriod in) - if she insists on licking it you may have to use a thicker smear of vaseline over the fuciderm to stop her getting at it.
Trouble with buns is, once they start on the licking they annoy it even more and then carry on licking it:roll: Hence our Sir Speedy having to wear socks:lol:

Back