• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D Hopefully Sorted Now

InspectorMorse

Wise Old Thumper
Same problem as happened with my Jack's-Jane Account in 2020. The problem was never resolved so Tamsin agreed to me setting up another Account. Now the only device I can access RU from is my Laptop where I had not logged out from last night.

I have not changed any settings myself, but when I tried to change my password via my Laptop I got a message saying the password entered is incorrect. But I am 100% certain it is not and I entered it correctly.

Has my Password been changed ?

It is the only explanation I can think of

TIA

Last edited:
I somehow got logged out earlier and had to wait a few minutes before I could get back on with my usual password.

So, my Password has definitely been changed, but NOT by me

I have tried yet again to Log In via my Ipad but after just one attempt, which failed I got as message saying I had used all 5 chances to Log In and to wait 15 minutes before trying again. I did this, infact waiting over an hour, but on my first attempt the 'you have used all of your 5 chances' message again ???

I have just tried to Log In from my Chromebook, nope. Incorrect password apparently.

So as I said, I can only deduce that my Password has been changed and 100% NOT by me

Last time all this happened things got even worse as soon as I requested an automatically generated temporary password. That led to me getting Logged out on all devices, never to be able to return.

Now, if I were a Conspiracy Theorist.................;)

Very strange, I'm no help though. Do you remember when I had a similar problem Jane, not sure if it was the same thing, but Tamsin had to do something her end, and gave me a temporary password. I had an iPad at the time, and was using that. Hope you get it sorted !

The password reset option can be a bit temperamental. I can change your password from the admin cp, but I would need to let you know in advance what I'm changing it to because otherwise you won't be able to log on to read my PM. Let me know if you want to give that a go.

Are you using your existing password to access RU on your laptop?

Tamsin and I are the only ones with the access to change a password, and neither of us would tamper with it unless there were log in issues.

Besides which, if you're still logging on using your old/existing password, that suggests it hasn't been changed. If it had, you wouldn't be able to log on at all from any device with the old password, iyswim.

Which then suggests that there's some issue your end. And this is what we struggled with resolving last time.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Just another thought but how long has it been since you changed your password?

I don't know if it's different for me being admin but the forum forces me to change my password every 180 days for security.

But that still doesn't explain how you can log on via the laptop...

Me again! Have you cleared your cookies and cache to see if that helps? A reboot is always worth a try too. Sounds daft but 99% of my phone issues are solved by a reboot lol.

Yes, you wouldn't be able to log in from where you are logging into now if your password had been changed by someone other than you. You'd be thrown out on all devices.

Last edited:
KarenM to answer all your questions

Yesterday I logged out of RU on my Ipad and my Chromebook, but NOT my Laptop

This morning all attempts to Log in via Ipad or Chrome Book failed. Now I cannot even have one attempt at logging in before getting the 'you have used your 5 attempts' message appear.

I thought I would try to change my Password from my Laptop, which as I said, I had not logged out on. When I tried to do so I kept getting 'Incorrect Password' when I filled it in prior to filling in a new password. So I cant change my password as according to RU the one I am using (and I am 100% certain is correct) is incorrect.

Last time we went through the you allocating a temporary Password to try to Log in and that resulted in me getting logged out from all devices. Tamsin was unable to resolve the problem, I believe she even contacted VBulletin Technical Support, so she allowed me to set up a second Account. I have never been able to Log in to my JJ Account again.

The last time I changed my Password was about 6 weeks ago. I have logged in and out on all devices numerous times since with no problem. The problem occured after logging out on my Ipad and ChromeBook last night. I forgot to do so from my laptop.

There is clearly a problem with RU recognising my Password. If I log out on my Laptop I am sure I wont get back in again

If I try using a Password you allocate me, using my Laptop I think I will automatically get Logged out on my Laptop. That is what happened last time anyway

I am willing to try, but doing so is likely to be farewell to IM .....................

Yes, any change to your password gets you logged out of all devices. That's why there is no way your password can have changed from whatever it was when you last changed it, or you wouldn't be in RU at all on the device you are on now.

Exactly what Sarah said.

Your password hasn't changed otherwise you wouldn't be able to post from your laptop now.

Tamsin looked into all options our end last time & there was no way she could find to resolve it. But it also seems really odd that you've had the same issue now on two different accounts as nobody is that unlucky, surely.

If it was a forum issue, I would either expect to see more members with the same problem or at least for it to affect other people, not just you.

There's not really any point in me resetting your password because, like I already said, it's being accepted & used fine from your laptop. If possible, I would hold off trying to log in from your ipad and chromebook for a good few hours as I don't know if the forum clock is confusing the failed password timeout thingy. Probably not but anything needs to be considered at this point.

Sorry that wasn't much help & I know Graciee, binkycodie & others suggested lots of things last time to resolve this but we still didn't get to the bottom of it. I specifically asked Tamsin last time about Petsmum's previous login issues but all she needed to was reset her password for her at the time.

Yes, any change to your password gets you logged out of all devices. That's why there is no way your password can have changed from whatever it was when you last changed it, or you wouldn't be in RU at all on the device you are on now.

But why is my password not being recognised from the only device I can access RU from, ie my Laptop. Surely if it is unchanged then I should be able to use the 'Change Password' facility but I cant because I keep getting 'Incorrect Password' message ??

But why is my password not being recognised from the only device I can access RU from, ie my Laptop. Surely if it is unchanged then I should be able to use the 'Change Password' facility but I cant because I keep getting 'Incorrect Password' message ??

I'm assuming you've got the password saved on your device, so it is automatically logging you in, if you don't have to put anything in. So, when you go to change your password it prompts you to put in your existing password to change it. If you are manually inputting what you think your password is, it can't actually be correct. Your password is whatever is going into the auto log in. This should be saved on your laptop somewhere.

I'm assuming you've got the password saved on your device, so it is automatically logging you in, if you don't have to put anything in. So, when you go to change your password it prompts you to put in your existing password to change it. If you are manually inputting what you think your password is, it can't actually be correct. Your password is whatever is going into the auto log in. This should be saved on your laptop somewhere.
That's my thinking too.

It doesn't seem to be an issue with the forum remembering the existing password (otherwise it wouldn't allow you to log in). It's only when you try to input it manually.

I've just searched the vbulletin forum, on the off chance that someone else has experienced the same since last time this happened to you but found nothing there either.

I think I have sorted the problem out now by resetting my IPad and my Chromebook. If not I will just leave it and if I come onto RU it’ll be via my Laptop.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that's sorted it x

Back