• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Two week old bunny not waking up!

mykacarter

New Kit
My rabbit, Blizzard, had seven babies two weeks ago. She’s lost one baby, but now I think she might be losing another one. I went to check on them and all of the babies are moving, eyes wide open except one. A little white bunny will not open it’s eyes, doesn’t move when I pick him up, and makes a weird almost like a grinding or snotty noise sometimes. I will rub him vigorously and he won’t move, maybe a leg move here and there. He opened his mouth when I put my finger on it, but he’s practically limp. If I roll him over he’ll move his legs a little bit, but other than that he’s unresponsive. I don’t know if this is normal. The bunnies don’t feel cold, they’re in an insulated area and it’s 60° outside. I’m new to the whole rabbit baby life and I need help!! Is this normally or should I be concerned!?

My rabbit, Blizzard, had seven babies two weeks ago. She’s lost one baby, but now I think she might be losing another one. I went to check on them and all of the babies are moving, eyes wide open except one. A little white bunny will not open it’s eyes, doesn’t move when I pick him up, and makes a weird almost like a grinding or snotty noise sometimes. I will rub him vigorously and he won’t move, maybe a leg move here and there. He opened his mouth when I put my finger on it, but he’s practically limp. If I roll him over he’ll move his legs a little bit, but other than that he’s unresponsive. I don’t know if this is normal. The bunnies don’t feel cold, they’re in an insulated area and it’s 60° outside. I’m new to the whole rabbit baby life and I need help!! Is this normally or should I be concerned!?

You are right to be concerned it is not normal. Is the kit feeding ? Has he/she opened his/her eyes prior to becoming ill.Sadly it sounds as though he/ she may be passing away. Is there signs of discharge from the nose, aspiration pneumonia is a possibility.

All the babies were active and had their eyes open, I haven’t really checked all of them individually because momma is kinda protective, but they all appeared to be very much awake and healthy, even the one that passed. I didn’t see no discharge of any sorts, I listened to his heart beat and it sounded alright, he’s breathing, but he’s just not moving or opening his eyes. It’s currently 1:14am where I live so I can’t take him to the vet right now. I don’t know if he’s being fed, he’s laying with the rest of them but I don’t stay in there to watch if they’re being fed, they don’t feel abnormally skinny when I’ve held two of them. They seem to be growing at a good rate and they hope around a lot, but this owl has just started acting like this.

All the babies were active and had their eyes open, I haven’t really checked all of them individually because momma is kinda protective, but they all appeared to be very much awake and healthy, even the one that passed. I didn’t see no discharge of any sorts, I listened to his heart beat and it sounded alright, he’s breathing, but he’s just not moving or opening his eyes. It’s currently 1:14am where I live so I can’t take him to the vet right now. I don’t know if he’s being fed, he’s laying with the rest of them but I don’t stay in there to watch if they’re being fed, they don’t feel abnormally skinny when I’ve held two of them. They seem to be growing at a good rate and they hope around a lot, but this owl has just started acting like this.

I think moving the Kit to a Vet may do more harm than good to be honest. I know you said kit is not chilled, but personally I would try some warming up strategies. I put chilled kits into my bra, its not a good idea to place the kit on a heat pad if he/she cannot move.

If Mum would allow you I would try holding kit to a nipple to see if kit suckles. Someone else may need to hold Mum as you hold Kit to her.

Is there any signs of fecal staining around Kit’s anus ? Is Kits stomach hard ?

Back