• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two Webinars For You to Listen To- Urinary Tract Disorders and GI Tract Disorders

Not very successfully with a normal filter (and its a faff)

The best thing to do is to buy the cheapest bottled water with LOW calcium content.

We used Tescos own which is very very low in calcium and very cheap - the stuff that comes out of the taps in Cambridge is practically rocks!!!

Ah okay thank you; will look into it. :wave:

Thank you for posting about these ones Jane, I found the urinary tract one really interesting for Kenco and Muesli.

I did find myself a little bit frustrated listening to it though as I feel that my own vet hasnt really explained in enough detail all the factors that are going on with Kenco and Muesli, and what they are recommending for treatment and monitoring. i.e. they dont do anything unless I press them, or at least thats how it feels.

Because of this about 4-5 months ago I asked for a second opinion on Muesli (the worst of the two at the time) and they said they would contact Richard Saunders. I've not heard anything more except that he asked them to repeat their tests. So I got a urine sample for them (though this wasnt a repeat but was actually the first time they'd tested his urine) and they did more bloods. All we were told following that was that his calcium levels werent at a level that needed meds and that's that.

Even though he still drinks and wees lots and lots, occasionally gets urine scald, sloppy poos, and also has a problem with his left hip, they have never offered any kind of actual treatment/pain relief/further testing/monitoring. They never told us to give him a low-calcium diet, in fact we were told when we asked that this would make no difference.

Even if we just felt a bit more informed that would make a difference in how to manage him. Any improvement that has been made has been a bit of trial and error in how to 'manage' him, and his own self-management, and fluke.

Also what they havent really talked about in that webinar is weight management vs pellet feeding. Both Muesli and Kenco lost weight when they were at their most poorly with urinary issues, but in her webinar she says that its better to feed an eggcupful a day with hay and fresh veggies, but she doesnt say anything about how to maintain weight or increase weight without also upsetting cecals or reducing hay/fibre intake, if that makes sense?

I found the bit about alfalfa in pellets interesting, as I was worried if that was an issue, so it was good to be reassured about it in pellet form.

ETA: apologies - that was quite a rant :oops: I just feel bewildered sometimes by not fully understanding the science behind it all - and unless you know that I feel its hard to push for something else.

Back