• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Two dead in 48 hrs... ETA again: Maybe not??

VHD is also not a notifiable disease anymore so unless someone went into your vets with a bun with VHD they wouldn't know about it, it's the ultimate silent killer. Im really sorry about your buns xx

Vhd

Just back in from looking at Peanut... It's VHD. i didn't notice any symptoms before but his nose is bleeding (PM), legs are straight out, and head is pointed upwards (trying to get breath)... I hadn't seen the body yesterday as I was away all day, but my brother said there was nothing unusual, similar to dustbunny.. no bleeding when he found him.

Positive it's my carelessness.. Volunteer at the animal shelter on Sundays.. just started last week. incubation is 3 days, death approx 2 days after- everything matches. Dustbunny was smaller and lighter, so would have succumbed first... Rinsed my wellies off before i went in to the rabbits but clearly should have done more.. probably had faeces from a) wild contaminated rabbit, or b) stray dog that had eaten a contaminated rabbit or it's faeces. Nothing I can do now.. I didn't know anything like that could possibly happen but just a warning from any of you who do volunteer at a similar place..

Very sorry for your loss its hard when you lose a bun i have lost 2 due to a virus but it was a virus i could not vaccinate against,I think this will be a reminder that vhd is still out there and should be vaccinated against and not just myxi.:(:(:(:(

I am terribly sorry for your losses. Deffinately warn the place you were voulenteering at to help avoid any kind of outbreak!!

Back