• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tui's spay is booked - She's OK :)

So pleased that so far, everything seems to have gone positively and Tui is ok. Topping up the vibes for a peaceful and warm welcome back home for her.

What a relief for you now it is over. Hope she has a peaceful night. Sending healing wishes x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

So pleased to here this, hope everything continues to go well :D xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

They're back home and everything seems OK :D Tui is still quite sleepy, but has had a few hops around. She's weeing and pooing fine, but isn't very interested in food yet apart from a few nibbles of fresh grass. Vet nurse said she had eaten some kale, but I think she just needs to rest a bit. We are taking it in turns to monitor her during the night (OH is asleep now).

She has had some Metacam and I can give her more over the next few days. She has 2 post-op checks, on Friday and then the following Friday.

Thank you everyone for your fantastic support. I very much appreciate it and it does make such a difference :)

Bless her, the wee poppet. Nibbling is good. Did they syringe feed her in the vets? Your OH being asleep already made me giggle - wakey wakey Mr Omi :lol:

Bless her, the wee poppet. Nibbling is good. Did they syringe feed her in the vets? Your OH being asleep already made me giggle - wakey wakey Mr Omi :lol:

I'm not sure whether she was syringe fed in the vets. I know I should have asked :oops: I haven't been charged for any, so I assume not. I did ask if she'd eaten and was told she'd had some kale. At the moment she just seems like someone who has had a GA. She doesn't appear to be in pain. She seems comfortable, but just tired. The vet nurse said to maybe give her a syringe feed tonight, but I'm not sure I will. She's had several normal-looking poos and has been weeing OK.

It's actually not so bizarre that OH is asleep :lol: He has been sleeping during the evening and going out all night doing Nightingale surveys for the BTO for a few weeks now and so he's staying here instead to monitor Tui tonight. I'll go to bed when he gets up, probably around 1am :)

I'm not sure whether she was syringe fed in the vets. I know I should have asked :oops: I haven't been charged for any, so I assume not. I did ask if she'd eaten and was told she'd had some kale. At the moment she just seems like someone who has had a GA. She doesn't appear to be in pain. She seems comfortable, but just tired. The vet nurse said to maybe give her a syringe feed tonight, but I'm not sure I will. She's had several normal-looking poos and has been weeing OK.

It's actually not so bizarre that OH is asleep :lol: He has been sleeping during the evening and going out all night doing Nightingale surveys for the BTO for a few weeks now and so he's staying here instead to monitor Tui tonight. I'll go to bed when he gets up, probably around 1am :)

ahh, i see. I hope she has a comfy night

Aww I'm not surprised she's tired, she's had quite a day of it! I hope she has a good night and starts nibbling more. I'm sure your OH will be itching to get back to his nightingales after tonight's patrol duties!

With regards to the syringe feeding, both vets I use routinely give a syringe feed when they come round from a GA, although as far as I can remember I haven't been charged extra for it. I think it's just gone under general nursing care. Not sure if it's a universal practice but I'm inclined to think it's likely they did give her at least one feed before she was discharged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She has really only had a little kale and a small amount of hay overnight. She's refused herbs and any forage or tree leaves and only nibbled a little cut grass. She's resting much more than normal, but is doing normal things like grooming and is also hopping about a bit. She doesn't appear to be in pain and looks comfortable.

I'm going to find some Dandelion leaves now. If she doesn't eat a bit more soon, I'll have to start syringe feeding I think. Without picking her up, I offered her some recovery food from the syringe during the night but she pushed it away.

ETA She's just had a Dandelion leaf, a whole kale leaf and some more hay, so I'm feeling a bit more reassured.

Last edited:
She has really only had a little kale and a small amount of hay overnight. She's refused herbs and any forage or tree leaves and only nibbled a little cut grass. She's resting much more than normal, but is doing normal things like grooming and is also hopping about a bit. She doesn't appear to be in pain and looks comfortable.

I'm going to find some Dandelion leaves now. If she doesn't eat a bit more soon, I'll have to start syringe feeding I think. Without picking her up, I offered her some recovery food from the syringe during the night but she pushed it away.

ETA She's just had a Dandelion leaf, a whole kale leaf and some more hay, so I'm feeling a bit more reassured.

It's less than 24 hours since she had her op' so it really is not unusual that she is still only picking at food. As long as she continues to eat a little and produce poo I would not be too concerned. My Vet suggests giving Ranitidine (Zantac) to a Rabbit who is on Metacam and also not eating too well. Ranitidine has the dual benefit of protecting the stomach from ulceration ( a possible side effect of NSAIDs) and also being a prokinetic, stimulating the motility of the lower GI tract. Not sure if your Vet may want to consider this should Tui not get back to normal eating today.

I have a feeling she will do so though and of course I am still sending her lots of vibes xx

C'mon Tui girl - get eating more please. Whilst its kind of expected it is a worry when our really greedy bunnies show a lack lustre response to food

Like scrappys vets mine (my old one in Skipton & current one in Harrogate) always syringe feed post op.Skipton never offered an itemised bill but they do in Crab Lane & it was never shown there. I hope she get more enthusiastic about some freshly foraged treats as the day progresses

She sounds fairly normal - at least she has eaten a Dandelion Leaf and maybe some long grass if you have some. So she will possibly eat more by this afternoon.

Thank you all for thinking of us and Tui says thanks for the encouragement :love:

She's starting to eat more now, but still only hay and kale with any enthusiasm. She looks more normal now too :) Poos still being produced and only slightly smaller and slightly darker.

Tethra has been very attentive and has been giving her bountiful head licks. Fortunately they have been gentle licks and have not led to any humping :) He actually allowed me to stroke him for quite a while yesterday evening. I don't know how I feel about being appreciated only when he's been severely stressed :lol:

Back