• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trying to understand the loss of our Dwarf Lop..

bradw

New Kit
We bought Buddy and Miffy (Brother and sister) at 8 weeks in December 2007.
They lived quite happily together outside (when the weather was in high single figures and above) and inside when the temperature dropped to low single figures.
They've been inside all winter and had only been sleeping outside as of this wednesday (3rd).

Monday (1st) the rabbits went to the vets for some Xeno (Skin mites). Both rabbits seemed fine.

Thursday (4th); Buddy seemed out of the ordinary but we weren't too alarmed.
On Friday (5th) early evening we went into the garden to get them into the hutch for bedtime and Buddy was just sitting with his face on the floor looking miserable not really moving. He was also cold to the touch. So we bought him inside straight away and tried our best to warm him up with blankets and we turned the heating on.
We couldnt tell if he had been eating/drinking as normal as he shares the hutch/indoor cage and Miffy is a greedy monkey.

That night (Friday 5th) I got a call from my wife that said I needed to come home asap and take Buddy to the out of hours emergency Vet. She had spoken to the PDSA/Vets now vet and described Buddy's state and the vet said to bring him in sharpish.
We wondered if maybe he'd had a reaction to the Xeno.. so off we went.

The vet examined him and did the following:

• Gave him Saline Subcutaneously (500ml)
  • Injected him with 25mg of Zantac
  • Injected 10mg of Metocl'ide
  • she diagnosed gastric impaction.
  • Injected some Metacam (0.07)
  • Took his temp which was 93' - but wasnt fully inserted according to the vets notes.

For home treatment; the Vet gaves us some liquid Zantac, to dose at 2ml every six hours, and some Supreme rabbit recovery (liquid food) to give him little and often.
she told us to try and warm him up with a wrapped hot water bottle, and to see our regular vet first thing in the AM.

Saturday AM I took Bud to the vet.
This vet prescribed Fiboplex to get Buddy's bowels moving, dosed at 2ml every 6 hours, in addition to sticking with the regime as specified on the friday night.
The vet arranged to give us a follow on call on Sunday morning to see how Buddy was doing.

Saturday night he seemed to be perking up and was moving about, nibbling and drinking very small amounts. We were pleased with his progress and confident he was getting better (slowly). He did seem cool to the touch still, even though we had kept up with hotwater bottles. We were concerned, but not panicky.

Sunday am (today) our daughter went down to see him at 0845 and excitedly shouted upstairs that "buddy's done some poos!".
We felt relieved and dozed off..

The phone rang at 0940 and my wife got up and went downstairs to answer. She then went to check on Buddy whilst talking to the vet; she discovered Buddy stretched out and still. :shock:
There was quite a large amount of runny sludgy faeces on the towels in the cage and his backside was covered. :cry::cry::cry:

We were devastated to find Buddy had passed away some time within that hour...

What I'd like to ask;
  • Is it possible that the vet knew he wouldnt last, and the call was just a platitude on his part? ie: he didnt want to tell us about the impending bad news?
  • Was the dosing of the Fiboplex way too much; and did our bunny literally poo himself to death once it took effect? :nonod:
  • If our bunny was in agony with the IleusWHY didnt the vet prescribe some pain relief for home administration!!!? :evil:

As you can proably tell we are all awash with grief.

We visited the vet after the phonecall/discovery and he confirmed no heart beat. :cry:
We then drove across to a local Pet Cremation centre, where we were expertly greeted and dealt with.
We left Buddy with them; to pick up his ashes tomorrow..
I haven't cried like that in 25 years..
I hadn't realised how much I'd become attached to that little bundle of fluff and joy.

After doing some frantic surfing tonight looking for answers; the reality of his ileus really hit me. He died alone and in pain. we feel so guilty.. :cry::cry:

We never thought about asking for a necropsy (I didn't know that you could ask for one! The vet never suggested it).. now we will never know what really happened to our dear little man..

Here's a lovely picture to cheer this post up:
Our buddy boy:

R.I.P little dude.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Heartbreaking :cry:. It sounds like you did everything in your power to help handsome Buddy, he was a gorgeous bunny :love:. Im sorry i cant answer your questions, but i am thinking of you.

Oh gosh i am so sorry, he was so adorable!

How long had he been indoors for prior to them going back outside this week? I know its been sunny days but its awfully cold at night, also if he was feeling under the weather the cold may have made it harder for him to keep his temperature, especially if he didnt have a winter coat. I dont think by any means this is what was wrong with him, but maybe he struggled to get through it because of the drop in temperature?

I cant say, but he sounds like he was extremly loved, If you have had your bunnies in before i would recommend bringing in Miffy as she will pine for her partner, and could probably do with the company.

I am very sorry for your loss. I too lost my dwarf lop, looks similar to yours but honey and white (signature picture). They are adorable things. xxx

Thanks.
We did wonder, they've been in since Xmas (but they have been let out daily and bought back in when the sun goes down.)
I didn't want to guilt trip the wife as it was her decision to put them out.
I guess we live and learn. :(

Thats one cute bunny Missy.. sorry for your loss too.

Thanks.
We did wonder, they've been in since Xmas (but they have been let out daily and bought back in when the sun goes down.)
I didn't want to guilt trip the wife as it was her decision to put them out.
I guess we live and learn. :(

Thats one cute bunny Missy.. sorry for your loss too.

if they went outside daily then it shouldnt be that, if a bun was in say for 4 months over the cold snap and then went otu straight away it could cause problems but that wasnt done here so dont worry.

Also a Pets at home bunny he was! :lol:

Brad, first and foremost let me say how terribly sorry I am for your loss of your little man Buddy. I lost my dwarf lop four months ago followed by his partner five weeks later after having them for nearly nine years. As another male I know we are not supposed to show our emotion over the loss of a rabbit, but I don't think there has been a day in the past four months that I haven't had at the least a lump in my throat when I think of them.

I noticed you referred to ileus so I assume you have read the document entitled "G.I. Stasis - The Silent Killer". It is so aptly named. Stasis is usually not detected until it is in advanced form because the buns hide illness. At this point it is a real battle to get a bun through. You have come to the right place here to learn about this silent killer as you will see many threads relating to issues of stasis and at times the extraordinary efforts members have gone to to assist their bun's recovery.

Don't blame yourself for the loss of Buddy. You did everything and more than could be expected for a first time dealing with this awful condition. For an emergency vet the treatment protocol (without comment on the dosage) seem absolutely correct for the diagnosis. The follow up from your regular vet also seems appropriate and suggests a higher level of care than some others exhibit.

Perhaps bringing Miffy inside and spoiling her with extra attention would be a good step. Don't forget she will be feeling a lot of grief also with the loss of her brother and soul-mate.

Sweet dreams Buddy, you were well loved.

they do look very alike!

Would love to see some photos of miffy, you could add them to the photos section of the forum :)

I agree, lots of fuss for miffy. they just dont understand like we do, all she knows is her friend is gone :( x

Our doe Miffy is already looking off colour.. she was frantically searching the house and garden last night looking for buddy..

We showed Miffy his body to say 'goodbye' before we went to the vets in the morning..but she just ran off being her usual skitty self.. :cry:

We're thinking of maybe a rescue bun or even a new baby for her to mother (hopefully).. do you think it would be a good idea?
Is it the done thing to put a youngster in with an adult?
Or would we be better off with a rescue mature male?

She's a very selfish eater so if we did get a new baby we'd have to feed them seperately..

Our doe Miffy is already looking off colour.. she was frantically searching the house and garden last night looking for buddy..

We showed Miffy his body to say 'goodbye' before we went to the vets in the morning..but she just ran off being her usual skitty self.. :cry:

We're thinking of maybe a rescue bun or even a new baby for her to mother (hopefully).. do you think it would be a good idea?
Is it the done thing to put a youngster in with an adult?
Or would we be better off with a rescue mature male?

She's a very selfish eater so if we did get a new baby we'd have to feed them seperately..

Any age or breed bunny would be okay, youre better off with a male, but make sure he is neutured. Then you would bond them on neutral terratory.

Either way i would go for a rescue bun, rescues are so full right now.plus a rescue would probably bond them for you, so it would be much easier for you.

where are you based? we could recommend some rescues! x

we're in Nottingham by J25 of the M1.

how do you go about bonding them?

basically you put both bunnies (both neutured) in a neutral place, i.e set up a pen somewhere in the house, neutral smells etc to see if they get on. bonding can take a few days and they sometimes chase and pull fur and its completly normal!

heres a list of rescue centres in what i think is your area?
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp#Nottinghamshire

:)

I am so sorry for your tragic loss. :cry:

The Vet's appear to have given all the correct treatment, but as 'Lobo' said, Ileus really can be a silent killer :cry:

Binky Free Buddy xx

Brad are thoughts are with you and your family.
He looks a lovely rabbit,i m sure you did everything you could.
Just think about the good life you gave him and the good times
you had with him.All the best.

We just went to pick up his ashes tonight.. we took our daughter with us (she's 12) and it was sad but nice.
I didn't cry, but came very close..

We are going to spread his ashes into our garden at the base of the small apple tree that we planted last year. He used to love gnawing on the tree stalk/trunk.
We're also having a large picture of him printed and framed to go in our lounge.

We refused to use PCS for Buddy's cremation, which is the company the vet uses.. he would have been sent off to Northhampton to a big industrial setup and processed and we would have had to pay a small fortune for an individual cremation :cry:
We didn't want that for our boy..

Instead we looked locally and found a gem.

The cremation service we used was extremely sensitive and run by a lovely couple who did their very best to ease our upset..

Forget me Nott - Pet Crematorium Ltd

Tracy Gardner
T. 0115 944 1047
M. 07980 486715

Based near Trowell off J25 on the M1.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/mm?ie...265201&spn=0.001151,0.003484&t=h&z=19&layer=t

We highly recommend them.

Back