• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trio bond broken? What would you do?

To attempt a re-bond or not?

• Try them together again?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Find Tatty a new wifey

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

Kate123

Young Bun
Hi all, looking for your thoughts please. Our trio of 9 months (Acorn and Kimmy, M&F both now 2 were the original pair with 9 months together, then last year we adopted Tatty, 4 yo male into a neutral area of a new playhouse and aviary set-up) have looked a little tentative for the last 2 months or so, with some chasing and fur pulling mostly between Kimmy & Tatty every few days, it almost seemed like Kimmy was bullying the boys in fact. Acorn and Tatty would have the odd moment but generally were most affectionate with each other and spent a lot of time together. Kimmy is rather mischevious but can get a bit unsociable, Tatty is very friendly and playful, and Acorn is very laid back but sweet natured.

Tuesday morning I went to let them out of the playhouse and the boys literally rolled out locked onto each other, seperated them and a chase ensued, more scuffling and Acorn had blood shed from a cut underneath his ear, while Tatty has bites to his back but no blood. At this point I removed Tatty and he has spent the rest of the week indoors or out in the run (which is about 15ft from Acorn and Kimmy but screened off). I think we are going to have to get him a wife as I have read that they will not forgive or forget such an incident and therefore re-trying to bond is pointless, but has anyone disproved this with their own buns?

There are no health issues involved, all are eating/drinking/pooing well, all spayed or neutered before they were bonded. There are also a bonded pair around 35ft from their area at the other end of the garden (also screened) and the run in the middle of the two set-ups when not in use by Tatty is used by our indoor pair. The pair at the end of the garden were only adopted around a month ago, but this behaviour started before they arrived so I doubt they have caused it.

Would really appreciate anyones opinions or experiences and hope I've put enough info for you to make a call on it - sorry for waffling!

(I should add I did read the trio thread stickied but they all seemed to be happy together - and next week I'm back at work so can't be with them all the time :()

Last edited:
Me, personally - I would find Tatty a new wife. I tried Harris with Arran and it just didn't work, they had a fight and after that, even though I tried many times, I could never get them to bond. I found Harris a new wifey bun.

If you have the space and time, and are OK financially for a 4th, then go for it :)

Me, personally - I would find Tatty a new wife. I tried Harris with Arran and it just didn't work, they had a fight and after that, even though I tried many times, I could never get them to bond. I found Harris a new wifey bun.

If you have the space and time, and are OK financially for a 4th, then go for it :)

Thankyou... If you've tried and not been successful, that's what I'm afraid of... Someone kindly gave us a large double hutch and we have already figured out how big a run we could have attached to it so they got a good area so we can manage with another bun (will make 4 pairs though in total!), just at the moment they all seem quite subdued and I wondered if they were missing each other...

I've had a similar experience to you. I have a trio - M,F,F. They had been bonded with no issues for 2 months before a big fight between the boy and one girl. I didnt seperate them though - well only whilst I checked for injuries. I didn't see the fight, my husband did, so I thought (in my naivety!) they would be ok, it was just a blip etc. so I put them back in together but they had another scrap a few hours later.

As they had never had any issues before, I decided to try rebonding first. Also, I don't have room for 2 set-ups so seperating them would have left me with big problems :(

To cut a long story short, I spent several weeks doing this before they were back to "normal". They stayed indoors in a pen for about 10 days, then I moved the pen into their shed for a couple of days, then let them have the floor area of the shed for about a week before I let them access their "upper level". There were no fights at all throughout this. It was a few more weeks before I let them have access to their run again and when I did the girls had a scrap after 30 mins. But, with slow introductions (Put them in their carrier to move them into the run rather than let them use the cat flap, blocked the shed off, put litter tray from shed in the run) and gradually increasing the time they spent in there, it seemed to be successful.

I think it was 2 months between first big fight and return to normal. However, that was partly down to the horrendous weather leaving the run flooded and unusable and it took us a while to fix that.

There has been a few scraps since between my girls but it tends to be if I let them out for a run in the garden. Now I just don't leave them out for too long, just give them 30 mins or so and they're ok.

The reason I have peserved with them as a trio is because I feel that 99% of the time they love each other and are very happy. I really feel its down to instinct and observing them, the group dynamics and if possible working out what sets them off. I think maybe trios and groups take longer to settle and for the bond to become established.

For the last couple of weeks I've noticed one of my girls is bullying the other now, so I'm hoping this doesn't escalate! I feel for you and I hope my mega-long story helps you in some way decide what is right for you and your bunnies. Its hard seeing them not getting on and worrying about them. Never had this problem with a pair!:roll::lol:

Back