• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Total for requests to take in bunnies in the last 24 hours

That's what I was wondering! If this is something that happens at this time every year a few months or so after after easter :(

It definitely does happen but for in my case it's not - mostly welfare related.

Although one is down to what seems like an impulse purchase from Pets at Home and lack of info (the bunnies have fought and have serious injuries as a result).

Normally it's the 'kids are bored' thing but not for me this week.

I have had to turn 2 away today... 3 yesterday. I have 35 rabbits in rescue at the moment, and although they are all vaccinated, most need neutering. I have one mother with 4 babies, who are too young to vaccinate. At the moment, I know my cages are not big enough for the rabbits I have, and I want to rectify this ASAP. But it takes a lot of money. Until I can honestly say my rabbits are getting the Best of Care, I am taking no more in.... but the calls keep coming. I know every rescue round here is full to capacity, so i cant offer an alternative rescue. I cant say yes.... absolutely no room.... BUT i worry about whats going to happen to them if every rescue contacted says they are too full. More dumped pets... more interbreeding with wildies .... Pets getting myxy or VHD... pets starving because they cant live wild.
And thats just the rabbits. I have similar problems with cats at the moment too.

Hi Farplace.

I know what you mean about you wonder what if, but I think it's always been the case that people will do horrible things and we can't be responsible for that. All we can do is help the ones in front of us at that moment. They are our starfish.

What needs to change of course is how the country views animal keeping. In partcular responsibility and until that changes it won't stop, so the rescuers can't worry more than necessary - because it won't make it go :cry:away.

Back