• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Too soon?

Same as some of the other have said, when I lost Scrappy (11 months ago) I couldn't bear to be in the room she lived without her, it was torture, so empty, I felt so lonely in the upstairs of my house without her, I even started sleeping downstairs because I couldn't bear to be without her :cry::cry::cry:

It was at this time I started to realise how many bunnies were in rescues. 'Giving a home to a bunny that needs it' didn't feel like replacing her but giving a home to another felt more like a tribute to her. When Rudy joined me about 8 weeks after she died I felt like I'd made a horrible mistake as I had an incredibly close bond with her and I just couldn't understand him at first. That said my head was all over the place and he did give me a focus, I think I would have been miserable and dwelling for a lot longer without Rudy to fuss over. It really wasn't a mistake, just a shock to the system as he was so different to her.

Don't take on the first bunny you see that needs a home, just if you get a really strong instinct that it's right. Give youself a week or two to look unless you get that "I just knew" feeling. If you do find the right bunny straight away brilliant - go for it!

Well when Claude died i only left it two weeks before getting Vinnie but only because Miffy was lonely,I wasnt replacing Claude because that will never happen:( I still think about him everyday,Its up to you how long you leave it though x

You will know, i went through this when i lost Lopsy.

I couldnt bare going outside to Bo and the other buns. I cried each time, seeing Bo on his own was breaking my heart. I couldnt say Lopsys name, nor could i stand it being said, i just broke down.

Even thinking about my big baby now makes me cry. I just miss her ways :love:

I left Bo to grieve and towards the end of the week, Bo became really shy and wouldnt come near me, we found him sat in the corner most of the day. It was then i knew i needed to do something. So i bonded Bo with Tiffany and Precious, however Bo and Precious didnt get on so i removed Precious and now Bo lives happily with Tiffany :love:

You wont ever replace the lost bun. Nobun could ever replace Lopsy, her personality was one of a kind. :love:

Two other bunnies i have lost, Bella and Angelica. Bella was so poorly towards the end and dispite being in the Vets, she decided to had had enough. She was so beautiful and at first i could only remember Bella as the poorly bun, but in time i began to remember her playing in the garden :love: Angelica left me suddenly one morning, she was so cute and had beautiful markings, i was so shocked at her death, but again in time, it heals and you remember the days of them bombing about the garden and playing with there friends :love:

**Big hugs to you**

I too would rush into getting more, thats the sort of person I am. Id feel rewarded for giving a loving home to other bunnies. Not a replacement but new life to love. Why is it you want a single bun?

How long would you say is too soon to get another bun after losing one? I think for me personally getting another would help me with the pain, but my family think its too soon. They think I'm just 'replacing him' which im not. Its not like that at all.

When i lost lilly, i reserved a pair at barc... i couldn't do it though as it was too raw.... however 3 months later, we got a bun from barc and whilst he doesn't fill the hole, hes great and i love him to bits! :love:

I think you should go for it if thats how you feel. Fr me since we lost Jazz last week i felt it was too soon to replace him but seeing Izzy so upset and lonely on her own i have her booked in for bonding on Friday. The new bunny won't replace him at all but i am sure we will love him just as much.

Back