• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

to those with trios/those who have attempted trios.

I HAD a trio. I had Mischa and Mini and then a friend said could I find a home for Nutmeg. I jumped at the chance because I'd always wanted a lionhead and I did successfully 'bond' her with the other two. There wasn't any fighting or nipping or even much humping to be honest. They tolerated her and licked her and she sometimes licked them but I always had the feeling she was being left out a bit. So I got Smudge and split them into two pairs with the possible intention of trying a quartet in the future.

These pictures kinda show the sort of thing that happened.

_IGP6266_CONV-vi.jpg

_IGP6174_CONV-vi.jpg

DSC00361-vi.jpg

Although in this they look completely at home together...

_IGP6270_CONV-vi.jpg

I think it's just that Mischa and Mini have SUCH a strong bond that she was never going to totally integrate with them.

Ah i felt like crying when i saw some of those pics:cry: Glad he has got his own friend now :)

I was so scared to open your reply then, but I'm relieved I said what I did because what you said makes complete sense. So thank you for explaining that to me. I understand far more now where you are coming from (especially with regards to your plans for if you did bring him home).

I can definitely understand why you would want a friend that can be a more suitable friend for Lola nd can meet her needs better. Its also great that you wouldn't rehome one of your girls.

If you got one of these chaps and it didn't work, but you still wanted a trio, then it may be a rescue further away could help you do the bonding as well as choosing one of their males for you.

It sounds like you have thought it through and have looked at all possibilities and whatever you decide, I wish you luck and hope that you end up with happy (or happier) bunnies at the end of it :)

I don't suppose you have any tips for things to watch out for or anything? Are there any real warning signs you can get straight off that it's just not going to work? and generally, if they seem to get on well at first, does that mean they are likely to bond successfully?

sorry for all the questions, it's just not often you come across someone who's done multiple trios!

I don't suppose you have any tips for things to watch out for or anything? Are there any real warning signs you can get straight off that it's just not going to work? and generally, if they seem to get on well at first, does that mean they are likely to bond successfully?

sorry for all the questions, it's just not often you come across someone who's done multiple trios!

No worries, happy to answer any questions :) I haven't used names, because I didn't know if that would confuse the situation or make things easier, but if you need names added to make more sense of it just let me know.

I did all my trios differently depending on what the needs of the bunnies were. (I'm on the wrong computer at the moment, but I can get you some pics of them in a bit).

With the trio I did from scratch, it took us many months of dates and living together. I then moved a pair in together (two boys) and had to wait for the girlie to be spayed. We carried on bonding other than when she was recovering, but immediately after she had recovered, even though they lived right next to each other, one of the boys really laid into the girl. I took them on a car journey and then they were fine. These needed a big space to bond in.

The trio who was two inseparable girls and adding a boy I had to do twice because once I had the trio established I added a fourth, and that made them fight so I went down to two pairs for a short while. then the 4th bunny fought with the other one, so we went back up to a trio, and then I bonded the 4th with a different bunny (I have many bunnies so I have a lot of options). The first time we did it REALLY slowly and it was hard going. The second time I knew they were great and just put them together and that was that. They were just super happy together again. These needed a relatively large space to bond because the girls like to chase and in a too small space, fight.

I recently lost the boy from that trio and am left again with the inseparable girls (the reason for bonding was because I know that neither of thoe girls will cope without the other, so now I ahve to bond them with someone else too, to plan for the future). I am now looking to bond them with my youngest male who should outlive them both. that's my next bonding project.

The last trio was different again, and slower and more cautious than I probably could have been. I was bonding a girl recovering from a nasty spay, a wildie (those two were already together) and the additional bunny had head tilt. they were a bit funny to bond because the first girl kept blocking the head tilt girl into areas (like litter trays and such) and not letting her out, so I had to remove everything from the area. We used a much smaller area this time and that worked far better.

There was never any proper fighting with those successful bonds but I have tried other bonds where they didn't work. The head tilt girlie got her neck torn by another girl (funnily enough, the 4ft girl from the second trio) when I tried to bond that girl into a trio when the other girl in that trio died.

The main warning signs are the same for other bonds, so raised tails, circling, obviously fighting. I would be warey if a bunny was stopping another bunny getting to the third (in whatever way round that worked).

I agree that a car journey is a sensible thing to do and try, and really, some may disagree, but I personally think taking it slower tends to work and make things far more solid with a trio. That is my personal opinion only though, and there are cases when its appropriate to just do it as 'normal'. I would suggest learning to read bunnies generally, and your bunnies because then you can read what is happening which makes things far easier.

Trio one, Hope (at the back), Dawn (the black self) and Sunny (the black butterfly). Hope is a loner and has been right since being a baby, which is predominantly why this tiro works so well. Also, Dawn annoys both Sunny and Hope sometimes so they retreat together, and Sunny too likes her time alone, and that's when Dawn and Hope are together. As I type though, they are sleeping in a bunny puddle all drapped over each other in their run.

20090124_52.jpg

Trio two,, the Dopeys and Cloud. This was the day of the second time we bonded. Cloud is the onebeing bonded into the Dopeys, and he is the one lying across the front.

20090124_112-1.jpg

Here are the Fosters (that's what they were when they arrived, but they never left :lol:) Summer is the blue butterfly lop, Roger is the black self in the middle and Tilly is the sable marten with the head tilt. Tilly was the one being bonded in. This is also bonding day.

031.jpg

I spend quite a lot of time sitting in the run with my girls and I have seen them when they didn't get along (right before the spay) so I think I'm confident in reading them. It's probably one of those things that I'll really fret over (barely got any sleep last night) and when it comes to it I won't even think about it, I'll just know how they're doing.
Despite sounding like a total idiot I've done a lot of reading on bonding so I know roughly what I should do, but the majority of stuff was on pairs, not trios so I'm really glad you've been here to help me.

I'm definitely going to go up and give the dates a go. If they get along then choosing which to bring home will be the tricky bit. As I said earlier I'm leaning toward the submissive one but I don't think that will be his actual personality when he's in a large enough environment without another big rabbit dominating him.

I'm hopefully going up on Tuesday so will post back afterwards and let you know how it went. :D

Thanks again for all your help.

ps. your group of REWs are gorgeous!

Just got back from collecting my buck!

I tested the girls with both of them: the black one they both seemed quite interested in but nothing really happened and the agouti they ignored, then chased each other around, and then rambo started humping the life out of the agouti who didn't really seem to care. The agouti was more easily handleable but the black was in a small indoor cage with another frenchie and every time the woman got him out she scruffed him so I think that might get better with time.

I couldn't make my mind up on which one to get so I phoned my boyfriend who went for the black (I knew he would!) and that's who I've come away with.

Not sure whether to name him Eli or Cecil at the moment. Or even buck, since i've got used to the sound of it now.

Rambo doesn't seem particularly interested but as soon as I put them in the same box in the car the buck and lola decided to lie down together (actually she kept switching between lying down with him and going back to rambo when she didn't join them)

I think all in all we've had a good start, I've put their cages next to each other and he seems in seventh heaven being out of that puny cage with nothing in it. Here's hoping for the best!

2m6og14.jpg

2r5qpp5.jpg

For all those worried about Nutmeg this is her now :D

_IGP7032-vi.jpg

_IGP6884-vi.jpg

_IGP6852-vi.jpg

_IGP6801-vi.jpg

Sorry for the photo overload!!

:wave: Don't apologise for the pics they are totally gorgeous, I am watching this thread with interest and I did feel a bit sad for Nutmeg so seeing her with her own little partner is soooooo cute.

The new lop that you have adopted Battlekat is really lovely too :love:

She kinda melds in with the carpet! I hate this carpet, I want some nice wood effect lino in here.

I was also thinking about getting a boy to go with my two girls later on.Poor little Nutmeg looks lonely in the first pics.

Back