• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To those of you who only use newspaper and hay in litter trays...

i cant just use newspaper and hay, as i don't have the time or money to change it everyday and when i used to there would be a puddle of wee in the litter box that they would sit in :L

so now i put 3 sheets of newspaper, a thin layer of megazorb (to much and they kick it out everywhere) and a ton of hay.

clean them out every other day in summer, and every 3 days in winter usually.:wave:

i use 4 newspapers at a time to line the bottom and a thick layer of hay, i usually change the litter tray for a clean one either daily or every other day depending on when i last got a supply of papers from Stes mom... never had a problem with them standing on wet newspaper because i use so much hay which is always dry at the top unless one has just peed YUK :lol: :lol:

Both trays are changed every day and have 1 complete newspaper and a topping of the hay they've thrown out of their dish. I do put a second layer of a few sheets and some hay when I get home from work and again before bed. Though Max has been known to wee on the floor next to the tray that Lola is using if it's the one that he wants.:)

every day - if they are likely to be in then a whole newspaper( a thick one ) but if they are free ranging in the garden a half newspaper will do. If in the hutch with one litter tray for two buns then definitely a thick whole paper but if indoors with 2 litter trays then a half paper each.

So easy to clean.

sue:wave:

I use woodshavings between the newspaper and the hay, I know it's discouraged with bunnies, but it's covered with a thick layer of hay, and Beau isn't a digger so it's fine. As a result we only have to change it once a week for one bun :)

All our trays are changed daily. they have varying thicknesses of newspapers depending on how much they wee in them. some of the bunnies that have kidney/liver issues so are excessively weeing have theirs changed more than once a day otherwise you do end up with a small paddling pool of wee at the bottom however thick the paper.

Back