• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To buy or not to buy. That is the question

bee.r

New Kit
A bit of advice needed. This is probably one of those things that won't happen, but I'd like to know the logistics anyway. I have a bonded pair of male rabbits (Colin & Basil - a dwarf and a dutch) and my wife would like to get a giant rabbit. So here's what I need to know. Firstly is that a good idea? Secondly seeing as I have a bonded pair already, would getting 1 rabbit be ok, or would I be better getting another 2? Male or female or one of each? 2 giants (bit expensive) or 1 giant and another breed?

What are the chances of all the rabbits eventually being able to share the same cage? I'm not sure I have room for 2 cages.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

I don't think there are any cages made that are big enough for giants. You might be able to bond them into a threesome, there are lots of people who do this, but you have to accept the possibility that it may not work out and then you would have to keep them seperately. Obviously they would all have to be neutered to have any chance of working, but you have to get your two boys neutered anyway if they aren't already.

going to a rescue is a best bet, as they can advise and sometimes even do the bonding for you, so if it fails you can arrange somethings else without thinking your going to be, in the catch 22 of keeping a bun, there are a few on here from manchester too

giant breeds need looooooooots of space alot of the time, it really cant be a whim thing, so its really got to be researched and thought through, if you wanted to say put all 3 together, you'd need a good size shed with a run attached, there are not hutches big enough for what you are suggesting if you want to keep your bunnies happy,

idealy buns like company, though you can have the odd single buns who hates other buns and are quite happy indoors with hoomin company, and are better neutered too

Last edited:
Back