• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Time of day to start bonding?

I'd really like to bond my two this evening to make the most of the bank holiday weekend, I've also got Tuesday off from work too so to give them my full attention. Bit of a silly question but is there a 'time of day' that is better to start bonding?? Everything is ready, neutral ground etc but I'm just wondering if I should start early in the morning or get a head-start this evening. Either way I will be staying up through the night with them for a couple of days just to make sure all is well. My husband is also going to lend a hand and cover me when I need to have something to eat etc. I bonded Blossom with her last partner and it went very well and only took a day for them to snuggle up together so I'm really hoping her new 'love' will be a similar experience for her. Blossom is 5 yrs and Bailey is 3 yrs, both neutered when young and both are very friendly in personality. Over the last two weeks they have been in adjacent runs so they can see and smell each other but not touch. I've also been swapping litter trays and spreading poop from them both into each other's pen. Neither of them are particularly bothered by the other one's smell so I'm really hopeful all will be well. So stressful isn't it but its all for a very good cause.

Wish me luck!!!

I think I would start in the morning so that you can have at least one night of decent sleep!

Also rabbits are most active dawn and dusk so I'd probably want to take advantage of that and introduce them when they are calmer in the morning rather than introduce them this evening and have to go through their liveliest time of day immediately!

Don't know if it would really make a difference, that's just me!

I'm not sure time of day would make much difference. Sending lots of happy & smooth bonding vives

I always start bonding early morning so a lot of the chasing etc can be got over and by the evening I know whether they are going to be ok overnight or not. The first 2 or 3 days are the most hectic, so I wish you a successful bond.

Many thanks for replying :wave: I'll wait until tomorrow morning and get up really early and start then. It will give me a chance to get everything ready tonight for their 'date' tomorrow!! Please send all the :love: vibes you can!!!!

It was horrible as they had a nasty fight!! At first it went well as they just ignored each other but as soon as Bailey mounted Blossom all hell broke lose!! Fur and teeth everywhere but no injuries so at least that's something. We tried them a few times but the outcome was the same so we've now separated them but the strange thing is they are both flirting with one another, eating and binkying on opposite sides of the wire (all secure and they can't touch). Both look very happy indeed to be next door to each other. I'm now wondering if I tried to bond them too soon as we've only had Bailey for a month (he's a rescue boy) but both bunnies are totally lovely and so friendly to us I really thought they would be lovely together. Plan b is to wait a few more months then try again. Wish me luck!!

Back