• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This is what happens...

Danielle84

Mama Doe
Mods...tell me if i'm not allowed to link this clip, but just wanted to show what happens with Timmy and Blossom.

This is not them obviously but it's the closest thing i could find to what happens when we try and bond them.

Do we intervene at this stage? So far we have been spraying Timmy with water, but these people on here seem to leave them to it.

There just seems something wrong in video-ing things like this though :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=insmV51ONi4

I would stop the bonding now and go for a slow bond with them living side by side for a while. It looks as though one of them could get hurt.

I would stop the bonding now and go for a slow bond with them living side by side for a while. It looks as though one of them could get hurt.

Yeah i totally agree. They are living side by side at the moment and have been for the past week. It's Timmy more than Blossom who is being naughty! I get so scared of their precious little bodies!

How slow is slow?

I've been reading this site for a few weeks, but this is my first post.

We got 2 female dwarf Netherland rabbits in July We think they are about five/six months old, bought together from PAH. Not speyed yet. They were fine for quite a while, shared the Primrose Cottage hutch, all snuggly etc.

The other week, Smudge began to aggressively chase and bite Misty, lots of fur everywhere. All pretty upsetting. I got a nasty bite as I tried to separate them. I split them up - one upstairs in hutch, one downstairs.

I tried the following and it seems to have worked:

- Put them together in a small box on the washer. Being scared makes them bond apparently.
- Changed the run so that they were side by side in small runs. They could sniff through the wire.
- Supervised them in a bigger run and sprayed Smudge with water every time she went for Misty's behind.

Misty has gone all submissive to Smudge - lots of lying prone in front of her, grooming her etc., but she has stopped running away and they seem to be getting on okay.

I am still keeping them separated at night, but swapping over areas so they don't get too territorial.

They will be speyed when we get back after half-term.

We still have a way to go - Misty is more timid than she was, and she used to do lots of binkies but hasn't done one since Smudge started bossing her around. Smudge seems happier than ever...

Anyway - don't give up, it only took a week or so to rebond our bunnies, and I am sure most bunnies can be bonded with patience and determination. Good luck.

I've been reading this site for a few weeks, but this is my first post.

We got 2 female dwarf Netherland rabbits in July We think they are about five/six months old, bought together from PAH. Not speyed yet. They were fine for quite a while, shared the Primrose Cottage hutch, all snuggly etc.

The other week, Smudge began to aggressively chase and bite Misty, lots of fur everywhere. All pretty upsetting. I got a nasty bite as I tried to separate them. I split them up - one upstairs in hutch, one downstairs.

I tried the following and it seems to have worked:

- Put them together in a small box on the washer. Being scared makes them bond apparently.
- Changed the run so that they were side by side in small runs. They could sniff through the wire.
- Supervised them in a bigger run and sprayed Smudge with water every time she went for Misty's behind.

Misty has gone all submissive to Smudge - lots of lying prone in front of her, grooming her etc., but she has stopped running away and they seem to be getting on okay.

I am still keeping them separated at night, but swapping over areas so they don't get too territorial.

They will be speyed when we get back after half-term.

We still have a way to go - Misty is more timid than she was, and she used to do lots of binkies but hasn't done one since Smudge started bossing her around. Smudge seems happier than ever...

Anyway - don't give up, it only took a week or so to rebond our bunnies, and I am sure most bunnies can be bonded with patience and determination. Good luck.

:wave: Speying would be a great idea. Seperating bonded buns isn't really considered the best way to go - it's stressful for them & at any time the bond could break & they may try to kill each other. Each time they meet they have to re-establish who is in charge, which may be why Misty is quiet. It should all settle down when they are speyed & not moving about though:D

Hello there.

Firstly I would change where you are trying to bond them.

I would do it in a very small area, such as an indoor cage or a downstairs loo. the space you are using is far too big.

What you are seeing doesn't look that bad to me, but I would need to observe them for much longer to tell if this chasing is a problem or if it's part of what needs to happen before the bond works.

I have prepared a leaflet outlining how I bond bunnies which might give you some ideas. If you'd like a copy, please PM me your e-mail address.

Helen

Angie - I didn't really want to put them in separate parts of the hutch, but Smudge was so aggressive I didn't dare leave them unsupervised, day or night. I considered keeping them separate and then trying to rebond after our hol (due to be speyed after this), but that would have been a break of two weeks. I was under the impression they had to be 6 months before speying, but now I am looking to have them done asap. I guess there is a risk that they will un-bond due to the spey but I'm hoping that having them done together will help.

They have access to all parts of the hutch from the run and have been snuggling together in it today when it has been raining, so I may well let them go in the hutch together overnight. Smudge has obviously established dominance, but I do worry about her injuring Misty in the hutch when there is nowhere to run to.

Smudges aggression was very sudden - an overnight change. I assumed hormones, but my OH has seen a fox in the garden this week and I am wondering if it had been up to the hutch and frightened them. The hutch is very secure but we cover it with a tarpaulin now.

Last edited:
Hello there.

I would do it in a very small area, such as an indoor cage or a downstairs loo. the space you are using is far too big.

What you are seeing doesn't look that bad to me, but I would need to observe them for much longer to tell if this chasing is a problem or if it's part of what needs to happen before the bond works.

I have prepared a leaflet outlining how I bond bunnies which might give you some ideas. If you'd like a copy, please PM me your e-mail address.

Helen

I have PM'd you for your leaflet which would be fab!

We are going to try swapping litter trays and toys etc, is it worth physically moving the buns after say a week and swapping them over?

Also whilst getting them used to eachother, should we still let them have a sniff of eachother once a week? Or leave it longer?

Have to say that that was exactly my first thought too ...
Really hope you can get it sorted x

This is how Ronnie and Lola were when i put them together the first few times. For a start, as others have said you need to do it in an indoor cage. The smaller the area the better. Heres a link which i found really useful

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/bond.shtml

I must say, i sent them away to Tree in the end :oops: I would keep them living side by side before you try it again, you need to give them time to settle down again. Swap litter trays, toys, blankets, everything... even better, swap them into each others pens daily if you can?

Theres still time yet, my guys are proof it can work :) xXx

Back