• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This is a bad sign isn't it? U/D Spoken to vet

give her a hug from me and Mops x

I will do, thanks. She's just climbed into her hay box which is far too small to sit in :rolleyes: and is rather precariously balanced.

Anita has said to discontinue all medication as she is not showing obvious signs of pain but if she should start to look uncomfortable to give a small dose to take the edge off.

Im now debating if anything can be gained from blood tests or if to wait and see if her weight comes back since the dental.

Are you sure the bleeding is from her hock Sooz?

If so here is what FHB says about bleeding hocks (only just got home, so couldn't look earlier)....

'The lesions [from sore hocks] can bleed repetitively leading to anaemia'...
...occasionally the medial plantar vein or artery, which lie just beneath the skin, is eroded and results in haemorrhage that can be alarming to owners'

Vibes for poor Pippa

Amy

Are you sure the bleeding is from her hock Sooz?

If so here is what FHB says about bleeding hocks (only just got home, so couldn't look earlier)....

'The lesions [from sore hocks] can bleed repetitively leading to anaemia'...
...occasionally the medial plantar vein or artery, which lie just beneath the skin, is eroded and results in haemorrhage that can be alarming to owners'

Vibes for poor Pippa

Amy

Positive, I watched blood ooze out after cleaning her up in the sink. She is bedded on towels now, trying to decide wether to bandage or not. Do you think ventilation or moisturisation is best?

Hope she is ok x I may sound dumb but if she was in the water then warm water will make any injury bleed more and look worse.... hope its nothing serious x

Hope she is ok x I may sound dumb but if she was in the water then warm water will make any injury bleed more and look worse.... hope its nothing serious x

She was in an empty bath when it started, I was running her bum bath in the sink but she was too messy to sit on the floor in the meantime.

Can you make a sort of anti- pressure dressing?
I use 4 oval cosmetic cotton wool pads. I cut a hole in the middle of them and secure them over the sore hock with micropore tape. The hole in the pads should go over the broken skin, ie you can see the broken skin, so as it acts rather like a corn plaster. Then I apply a cohesive banadage over the cosmetic pads to hold them in place.

Janex

Positive, I watched blood ooze out after cleaning her up in the sink. She is bedded on towels now, trying to decide wether to bandage or not. Do you think ventilation or moisturisation is best?

FHB says to keep the skin clean and dry. Protective bandages can be advantageous if the rabbit doesn't remove them. Hair sticking to the wound should be removed, but not clipped back to skin level.

FHB also recommends liquid bandages like Nu skin.

Bedding needs to be clean, soft and giving, e.g. deep hay or straw, peat moss or foam rubber (used for human patients with bed sores)

Antibiotics and pain relief are needed.

Amy

Antibiotics and pain relief are needed.

Amy

She cant have either at the minute unfortunately. The abx are playing havoc with her GI tract and the Metacam is only to be used in an emergency due to its connotations with liver problems.

Thanks for the info though.

Can you make a sort of anti- pressure dressing?
I use 4 oval cosmetic cotton wool pads. I cut a hole in the middle of them and secure them over the sore hock with micropore tape. The hole in the pads should go over the broken skin, ie you can see the broken skin, so as it acts rather like a corn plaster. Then I apply a cohesive banadage over the cosmetic pads to hold them in place.

Janex

Thats a really good idea Jane, I will certainly do that when I remedicate her hock tonight.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Back