• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This doesn't seem right

I told them in no uncertain terms at the time I was annoyed at not having been told this beforehand - seems like it's common practice for vets not to include stuff in the price, and then when you kick up a stink, say "well don't take it then" which of course is not an option as the animal will be in pain otherwise! :evil:

I'd just like to say that as a vet nurse this is NOT common practice for vets. It would seem that certain vets may do this but the ones i have worked for do not. My current practice is extremily good and if they ever quote a price they stick to it, even if the op ends up taking longer than first thought. I don't mean to have a go but i do get annoyed sometimes when people **** off vets - we're really not all the same and most vets are very caring, good people. No offence to anyone, but please don't assume all vets are money grabbing. :)

I'd just like to say that as a vet nurse this is NOT common practice for vets. It would seem that certain vets may do this but the ones i have worked for do not. My current practice is extremily good and if they ever quote a price they stick to it, even if the op ends up taking longer than first thought. I don't mean to have a go but i do get annoyed sometimes when people **** off vets - we're really not all the same and most vets are very caring, good people. No offence to anyone, but please don't assume all vets are money grabbing. :)

Good post...the vets I work in is the same. We always stick to our quotes.

Good post...the vets I work in is the same. We always stick to our quotes.

Thankyou buuny friend, I was worried about the stick i'd get for that one! I just sometimes feel that vets get a lot of bad press on here and i dont feel its always justified or fair. There are two sides to every story.

Thankyou buuny friend, I was worried about the stick i'd get for that one! I just sometimes feel that vets get a lot of bad press on here and i dont feel its always justified or fair. There are two sides to every story.

I wasn't generalising all vets at all, just talking about mine. I couldn't comment on other vet practice as I have only ever used the one vet, but I am sure most vets do inclusive quotes that they stick to, otherwise I wouldn;t have commented on the fact that mine was so absurd :)

I also apologise for the generalisation - I should have said "It's not just your vets that do this, Hugo's There" rather than what I did.

It does feel like that a bit sometimes, but they are close and fairly knowledgable, with 4 ops this week and this terrible weather we are grateful they are a 2 minute walk away :)

I am also a bit fed up as they keep messing my accounts up. many months ago I asked if they could seperate my accounts so the buns are on one and the cats/pigs on another. They did this but never transfered any bunnies across :? Now they tell me I can't transfer them only add new bunnes to the Rainbow account, so I have rabbits on 2 different accounts now. Now today I paid the Rainbow account only to find they had put a piggys treatment on it, so what is the point of 2 accounts :roll: I give up.
Just to add, no donations go towards the piggy or cats treatment, I keep my own accounts seperate, its just that the vets don't seem to be able to manage it :?

I only work part time in our vets as a receptionist, and even I could manage to do that!

I appreciate your apologies and i didnt mean to sound rude or anything. Unfortunately there will always be some people who give the veterinary profession a bad name, its like any other profession. At my practice we really try to get a better deal for bunnies, its just that all to often its the owners that don't want to know (obviously not anyone on here cos you all love your buns, but there are so many who dont care :cry:)

I appreciate your apologies and i didnt mean to sound rude or anything. Unfortunately there will always be some people who give the veterinary profession a bad name, its like any other profession. At my practice we really try to get a better deal for bunnies, its just that all to often its the owners that don't want to know (obviously not anyone on here cos you all love your buns, but there are so many who dont care :cry:)

I completely agree with you. We used to have a brilliant vet and she admitted she didnt have experience in a lot of bunny problems purely because not many owners wanted there bunnys treated, if was going to cost money they would just opt for pts :( I am always one for sticking up for vets as they do often get a lot of grief on here. I am not criticising my vets treatment in any way just the way the paper work side of it is sometimes run, which obviously has nothing to do with the vets or nurses in our practice :)

I completely agree with you. We used to have a brilliant vet and she admitted she didnt have experience in a lot of bunny problems purely because not many owners wanted there bunnys treated, if was going to cost money they would just opt for pts :( I am always one for sticking up for vets as they do often get a lot of grief on here. I am not criticising my vets treatment in any way just the way the paper work side of it is sometimes run, which obviously has nothing to do with the vets or nurses in our practice :)

Thats the problem. Rabbits are the third most popular pet in the UK. Vets know loads about dogs and cats cos so many people take them to the vet for treatment. If all the bunny owners did the same thing, vets would know a lot more about them because they would HAVE to know loads more to meet client demand.
Luckily, this is improving and as rabbits are increasingly kept as house pets, humans appreciate them a lot more (no offence to those of you who keep your buns outside but as you can imagine, people appreciate their rabbit the more time they spend with them). And as client demand increases for better treatment for their rabbits, vets need to learn more and keep up with advances in rabbit health.

Back