• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Think Ive found a new bunny home. Opinions?

nixie1990

New Kit
So, Ive decided I would quite like a dog kennel and run. This one in particular
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOG-KENNE...tchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&hash=item1c4470c0df

My reasons are: It should be pretty safe from predators, being designed to keep dogs in
Its got good weather protection all around
Im useless at DIY so as much as I looked at sheds and the like, I wouldn't know where to start with attatching runs and such things

Im going to ask how much extra it would cost to be slightly bigger. (4foot wide instead of 3) but the bunny would be able to go in the garden sometimes too.

Just wondering if people like it? Has anyone heard of this heat treatment before? The wood in the picture looks very posh!

Means that the only DIY I'll have to do (and even this might be a struggle for me :oops: ) Ill need to paint it, add better bolts to the doors. And I think the hole from bed area to run might be big, so I'd like to add some sort of door/flap so I can lock them in the bedroom area if I ever need to/and keep drafts out by having a smaller hole :)

I really like that style of housing. I think you are right to go for 4' wide, though, that extra bit will make a big difference. The other thing to check is the height - some are shed height and other are more like 4-5' and it's a big trickier to work in the lower ones.

I have had one of those type of dog kennels for years. I use it mainly for boarding and for foster bunnies.

As Tamsin said, bigger is more useful. Mine is about 12 feet long and 5/6 feet wide, so very useful for putting additional hutches (no doors on) to jump into, and also big bales of hay on top of shelves ... You can make it a really interesting place to be for a couple (or more) bunnies :D

I'm just wondering if the bunnies will be able to see out at ground level as it seems to have 5 boards high across the front of the run at ground level. I know mine like to sit and look out of their mesh door. Otherwise I think these kennels are fab.

I think it looks great, I agree wider is better, and you should check the mesh is 19g or 16g, and check the mesh spacing too, it should be 1/2x1cm ideally.

I'm just wondering if the bunnies will be able to see out at ground level as it seems to have 5 boards high across the front of the run at ground level. I know mine like to sit and look out of their mesh door. Otherwise I think these kennels are fab.

You could fix a shelf in along the length of the run so the bunnies can hide under it or jump on top of it to look out of the mesh :thumb:

Thanks, hadn't thought about them not being able to see out.
I was planning to have the hutch in the run anyway so he could sit on that. :) can also make some kind of platform with a ramp :)

Hoping to get him a friend soon

Ive not yet ordered my kennel and run, because I still have to clear some old wood and things from the space it will go (and it wont be occupied till next spring anyway)
Ive now chosen a different one, I am going to get this in a 8' x 6' size, with two smaller pop holes from house to run area. (Have checked mesh size and he does 1/2inchx1/2inch hole size
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dog-Kenne...tchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&hash=item4adabe178c

Im just after some reassurance first though.
My garden has 6 foot fences around it, and the kennel and run will be on paving slabs. Im just worried about predators because Ive never had an outside rabbit.
Do you think him (and his new friend next year) will be safe?

I intend to put his hutch in the run too with one door open and I will buy another small shelter too

I should think they will be safe if the entrances are locked. Unauthorised 'visitors' (neighbours, children) have been known to leave hutches etc unsecured.

Foxes can jump 6ft fences so I would make sure that he is never allowed to free range unsupervised, but the kennel looks very secure, so he should be alright while he is in there.

I think that's probably the most secure form of outdoor housing, and the mesh would have been my only concern but if he does the smaller size that's perfect really :)

Back