• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Things in meadow hay? UD apparently sorrell

Looks like dock seeds, but it's hard to tell on that photo. Are there any leaves on the stalks or is it just seeds? I think rabbits don't like dock, because it is too bitter, but that may be true for certain dock species only. Dock seeds can be poisonous to animals, the whole plant contains oxalate, like rhubarb. Oxalate can damage the kidneys, I think.

The business of docks can be confusing as it can be found listed as a useful plant and a dangerous one. In short, the young leaves can be used in Spring and are good after winter when there's not been a great supply of alternatives, but as soon as the seed stems appear, the leaves lose their food value ( and as a rule there are plenty of other food sources you can use at that time of year). The seed stems should always be avoided as Bav Bun states, they contain binoxalte of potash ( very bad )! If in doubt leave it all alone as there are 3 fairly common docks around. If you want to use one, use Sorrel Dock as these are the most beneficial.:D

Dock may not be all that tasty for rabbits. I don't like the taste of it, although some people use it to make salad. Buttercups are also quite bitter and many animals avoid them.

The business of docks can be confusing as it can be found listed as a useful plant and a dangerous one. In short, the young leaves can be used in Spring and are good after winter when there's not been a great supply of alternatives, but as soon as the seed stems appear, the leaves lose their food value ( and as a rule there are plenty of other food sources you can use at that time of year). The seed stems should always be avoided as Bav Bun states, they contain binoxalte of potash ( very bad )! If in doubt leave it all alone as there are 3 fairly common docks around. If you want to use one, use Sorrel Dock as these are the most beneficial.:D

Was that part of your last presentation? :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: No funnily enough! My last presentation was on plants that can cope in dry/sandy or gravel conditions, so definitely no docks, as they are rife in my very wet, soggy clay garden.:lol:

Yeah, I guess docks prefer the edge of meadows, near trenches and rivers. My grandparents had a field where water was coming out from a hill, it was always a bit wet and there were loads of dock plants.

Thanks for all the replies :wave: I will email Norman the photo to let him know about it. Sounds like a one-off seeing as no one else has found any. I will just stick to the Timothy hay for them from now on I think though, as they like that anyway :)

Apparently the plant is common sorrell. So, does anyone know whether sorrell is ok for bunnies to eat? He also said that animals won't eat plants that are bad for them, although I would have to question this! I know they're not plants, but I'm pretty sure that wires, plastic bags and rubber zips aren't good for them, but Bailey has tried to eat all three! Two of which in the last few days :roll: :lol: So I'm still unsure of whether to feed more of the hay :( Seems such a waste just to throw it away though.

It's nice for humans to eat too, but not dried like that. Make a it's got a wierd but nice slightly bitter metalic taste a little like a very strong spinach & I think is also quite high in oxilates like spinach so fresh stuff shouldn't be fed everyday but the odd stalk in hay should be fine. We grow it at home and mix it with either butter or hollondais to go on salmon...yum.

It's nice for humans to eat too, but not dried like that. Make a it's got a wierd but nice slightly bitter metalic taste a little like a very strong spinach & I think is also quite high in oxilates like spinach so fresh stuff shouldn't be fed everyday but the odd stalk in hay should be fine. We grow it at home and mix it with either butter or hollondais to go on salmon...yum.

I have got an AMAZING sorrel soup recipe - but that is sorrel you grow - doubt it is the same as common sorrel before everyone rips their garden up! :D

He also said that animals won't eat plants that are bad for them

They certainly will! Most wild animals (certainly buns) breed prolifically so the odd rabbit eating something poisonous doesn't have much of an affect on the species as a whole. There have been plenty of members on here posting about buns eating harmful plants and there are lots of cases of cats getting poisoned by lily (I think that's the one that's harmful), and non-plant-related as you said, they'll chew on plenty of things that could injure or poison them!

I've found a few of these in my dust free hay before too, but only Jen and Frankie don't eat it and it's therefore left in the rack at the end of the day! :rolleyes:

Sorrel is fine for bunnies: I've just finished reading a book about a family in rural France and they went out to pick Sorrel as a treat for their buns :D *wanders off to dream about living on a smallholding in rural anywhere*

Back