• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The RWAF on BBC News This Morning-Very Disappointing

InspectorMorse

Wise Old Thumper
This morning BBC News had an ‘Easter Bunny’ feature supposedly to highlight the Rabbit Welfare crisis in the UK these days. What a missed opportunity it turned out to be. There was a person representing the RWAF and a Giant Rabbit Breeder/Shower, along with one of her Giant Rabbits.

The RWAF representative did try to get across the message that Rabbits are not cheap and easy pets to care for, that Rescues are over-flowing with unwanted Rabbits and that people need to do a lot of research before acquiring a Pet Rabbit. However, this was literally just a few seconds of the whole interview. Mostly the focus was on the size of the Giant Rabbit (who looked very unhappy being in a TV studio :( )
The issue of people buying two Rabbits but not knowing their genders, or being sold Rabbits sexed incorrectly and the inevitable accidental litters’ situation was mentioned. The Breeder claimed to ‘just breed for her showing’ and then, to my horror, went on to say that any ‘left overs’ went to Petting Farms and to universities for research :shock: OK, this could be other types of research not vivisection. But this was not made clear. Nor is it right for any Rabbit to be kept in a Laboratory or a Petting farm, IMO.

I am so disappointed that the RWAF appeared to endorse all the Breeder was saying, she certainly wasn’t challenged in any way by anyone. Neither did the RWAF put forward a robust statement about just how dire the Rabbit Welfare Crisis now is. They did raise the issue of England needing to catch up with. Scotland and for Breeders to have to be licensed and inspected.Nothing was mentioned about a proposal for an amnesty on the breeding and selling of Rabbits whilst the Rescue situation is in crisis.IMO the overall interview was light weight and unlikely to do much at all to educate people about what having Pet Rabbits really means. A opportunity missed :(

Unfortunately the part of BBC News featuring the interview is not available on Iplayer, not at the moment anyway. But if you saw it and like me you feel disappointed please let the RWAF know. Of course how the Interview was conducted was probably out of their control. But IMO a much more robust approach was needed from the RWAF in order to get Joe Public to sit up and take notice. The Breeder, whilst hardly dynamic, did seem to get more interest from the two BBC presenters.

I also question how wise it was to feature a breed type that

1- Has a strong predisposition to breed related health conditions such as hip dysplasia, spinal problems, heart problems and sore hocks. When only recently the RWAF made a big deal about not promoting Lop Rabbits because of their known predisposition to health problems.

2- A Giant Rabbit is likely to attract the attention and get the ‘oh I must have a 10kg Bunny’ response. A big deal was made about the Bunny’s size. It’s the size of the Rabbits that can predispose them to serious life limiting health problems.

If you do want to express your opinion about this interview to the RWAF this is the contact email address

info@rabbitwelfare.co.uk

Personally I see little point in contacting the BBC, but I guess that is an option some may wish to consider

https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact

Last edited:
I do find it irritating when both breeders and large breeds are deemed to be the only option to broadcasters. There are plenty of rescues that could have been used - even the P@H rehome section would have been a better option, especially with the message that they won't sell pets over the Easter period. Even better, some toy rabbits could have been featured (in a large RWAF approved run and with plenty of hay, of course).

Did the RWAF person actually come with the breeder though? I can't imagine that they had any choice over who they would be appearing alongside.

Did the RWAF person actually come with the breeder though? I can't imagine that they had any choice over who they would be appearing alongside.

It came across as if it was a joint representation. Whether that was factual or not I don’t know. That’s why I suggest contacting the RWAF who could hopefully clarify the facts :)

RWAF response to my comments :

’’just to confirm that the rabbit and breeder were already lined up as guests when we were invited. We felt it was important to take part, and add the other side of the story. it’s impossible to control an interview like this, but we did our best to get the message out in a very short time.’’

Back