• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The foster gerbil has landed - UD her name is Luna

She's lovely :love:

If you are thinking of introducing her to another gerbil - here is a step by step guide on how to split cage http://gerbilsociety.com/indysrascals/gerbil-bonding/

Also it wouldn't be wise to introduce her to your existing two. The best bet is either a lone female, neutered male or a pup single or pair of pups. :wave:

Thank you very much :) I think my existing two are boys :shock: they look totally different to her 'down there' :shock::oops: so obviously I won't be risking a bond

Oh :lol::lol:

If they are males then yes it should be really obvious :lol:

ps - if in doubt have a look here http://egerbil.com/sexing.html If you scroll down there are pictures you can click on also to help out.

thank you :) they were from P@H and their sexing of small critters can be dubious :roll:

will they look different though because Luna has had babies but my girlies Ellie and Roo haven't?

No shouldnt look much different at all. The space between the two openings should be really small. In a male the space is much larger. The "balls" (sorry :lol:) will be really visibile from 5/6 weeks onwards and depending on the colour of the gerbil, they in most cases are dark (lighter colour gerbils like PEW/REW will still be light coloured.

If you are struggling to tell the sex of an adult gerbil then its fairly certain its female!

No shouldnt look much different at all. The space between the two openings should be really small. In a male the space is much larger. The "balls" (sorry :lol:) will be really visibile from 5/6 weeks onwards and depending on the colour of the gerbil, they in most cases are dark (lighter colour gerbils like PEW/REW will still be light coloured.

If you are struggling to tell the sex of an adult gerbil then its fairly certain its female!

:lol::lol: well I've never seen any 'balls', hmm.. will get the OH to have a look when he gets in. Be warned I might end up posting pictures!!

Back