• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The bunnies new home

Well I decided to bring my bunnies and guinnies home with me. I originally posted in intoductions bt I thought I would start this thread to keep yous up to date with the progress. Which has been slow due to mad weather but here are the photos from the beginning. Its goint to be an 18tf by 2m run and there hutched will be inside this and I got them thermal covers for there houses to keep them warm.

This is there new houses

856706_518908841485786_1440377017_o.jpg

This is there big run and where there houses will be

857922_518908831485787_1023866173_o.jpg

Fencing finished

483254_528023837240953_887097465_n_zps257e8563.jpg

This is half of the run

601972_528023897240947_758675682_n_zps3a9d4096.jpg

Annd this is there wee houses with there covers on them

9945_528023880574282_37544718_n_zps4ae852d8.jpg

The surface is going to be bark im goint to have a few platforms in the run so they can hide , play and just lay on. Im also going to burry some long tubes for them to run around in.

Ive still got to put down the mesh before the bark and get some sort of netting to keep preditors out.

Hopefully if I can get it finished for this wk end they will be home for easter :D:D

What do yous think so far and any reccomendations would be fab xxx

Are currently indoor or outdoor buns? If indoor they can't go out till its warmer because they won't have there winter coats:)

I don't think netting will be enough to keep preditors out. Have you considered making a roof out of aviary panels?

yeah there outdoor rabbits v fluffy lol and have done well through this mad weather, yeah I had though about aviary panels where would I get them from to have a look at them. It would also keep them even dryer too

looks like you could do a sloping roof out of corrugated plastic sheeting keeps out the predictors and the rain but still lets the light in : )

GetAttachment_zpsac9b4184.jpg

mansion1_zps11bb09b9.jpg

Last edited:
I got mine on ebay there was a firm local, they were £20 each, but I had to do our roof with just mesh cos its a funny shape, but I made the mistake of putting roofing felt over the mesh roof, great for the rain and for keeping a bit of shade but the whole lot came down with the weight of the snow.

This shows it work in progress without the roof
shed006.jpg

Are the guineas in one of the coops? I would advise against this type of set up for a piggie as the ramp is very steep and guineas don't cope well in the cold so a single level hutch without the run attached in winter would be more suited. They will get very cold in the run on winter days being directly on the floor and can get very sick from this.

Thr run looks fab. I wouldn't use just corrugated plastic for the roof though as it isn't predictor proof a fox could easily rip plastic off. Mesh and plastic would be great! :thumb:

Update *with pics*

Hey guys not been on in a while been busy . Well there run us finished and there home and they love it. I chose to go with heavy duty bird betting for the netting on top of the run and its been great do far. Our garden is also durrounded by a six foot fence too. I know some if you might not think its enough protection but considering there's not allot of predictors a out j thought it would be ok. Anyway here are some pics taken today .

This is the view from the top I built the big tunnel and the bunny dwn down the bottom and I just built the guinni pig wigwam today :)
image_zpsdbac4bab.jpg
[/URL]

This is one of their cages I did have them sitting directly on the bark but it was too messy so I made a wee platform and put shaving on it , it's far more cleaner
image_zps87100b5d.jpg
[/URL]

This is the wee wig wam I made today it's going to be covered in wee log things and their wee platform behind it
image_zps87100b5d.jpg
[/URL]

And a close up the bunny den
image_zpse551bebb.jpg
[/URL]

I'm always thinking of what toys to make for them or new we platform things for them so any ideas would be great they have all lost weight since these had the big run to play in xx

Yeah they go into desperate cages at night. The to larger bunnies used to bully the small black one so they have been separate for a few months ( while living at my mums) and my wee black one was lonely so I got the 2 piggies to keep her company anyway since I was moving them to the bigger pen and it was neutral ground u let them all out together and because its such a big spa e they get on great out during the day and in at night xx sorry for the long answer lol

Yeah they go into desperate cages at night. The to larger bunnies used to bully the small black one so they have been separate for a few months ( while living at my mums) and my wee black one was lonely so I got the 2 piggies to keep her company anyway since I was moving them to the bigger pen and it was neutral ground u let them all out together and because its such a big spa e they get on great out during the day and in at night xx sorry for the long answer lol

If I were you, I would put msh aross the back fence! those gaps look big enough for the bunsto get through, and piggies would certainly get through

my smartie got his head stuck in a gap that was afew inches wide x

It's not a clear pic but there's mesh all the way round it's half way up the fences and folded under the bark so u dee the bark it meshed too :)

It really isn't advised to keep bunnies and guinea pigs in the same cage. It's an outdated tradition that is slowly being phased out. They should have different foods, bunnies can cause serious injury's to small pigs even while playing and one species can carry a virus that can be deadly to the other. (sorry I forget the details) I would seperate them as soon as possible. Sorry to be negative, it's for the sake of the pets. :wave:

Wanted to add it is obvious you care a lot about your pets. :D

Last edited:
Milo +fizz thanks for replying I understand where your coming from but buttons would be devastated if I separated them from her there like her babies they follow her about like a shadow and she constantly looks for them, she spends hours keeping them clean. I also have spaces in the run that the Piggys can go to get away from the bunnies if needed.they sleep in with buttons at night who's a wee dwarf rabbit and a wee gentle soul she wouldn't hurt a fly. With reg the disease thing I will check with my vet in the morning to double check but there all fully vaccinated and when I took them to get done they didn't mention not keeping them together. Food, the piggies get pellets just for them and the bunnies get there's they tend not to eat each others I don't know why but they must not like each others, they also get a bowl of fruit and veg a day. Thank u for replying :) xxx

Back