• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Swollen tummy...worried (UPDATE)

Just an update, Sara will be coming along with me to the vets and taking Jacks brother with her (so the vet can look at him too), although he is showing no symptoms like Jack.

Fi x

Hi :wave:

Well, we're back from the vets and Jack is now settled back at home. The vet gave him a thorough health check, listening to his chest, taking his temperature etc (everything was normal).
The vet agreed that Jack was alittle bloated, but said it wasn't too severe and certainly nothing that couldn't be put right. He said well done to me for noticing and bringing him in so early! (which made me feel a little better, as I was feeling like a rubbish bunny mum).

He was given an injection to help relieve the gas in his tummy. The vet said to be prepared to have a very windy bunny tonight! :lol: He said his tummy will have completely gone down in a couple of days.

I was also given a tube of panacur to give him daily, and told to reduce pellets and give unlimited hay (which I have been doing already).
I also have biolapis to put his water.

The vet wasn't too concerned over the sample of Jack's poop, as there were some solid poops in and amongst, and Jack's general behaviour is still lively and eating and drinking.

I've been told to keep my eye on him, but not to worry too much.

I'm feeling much better now, and Jack is happily munching on some hay as I type.

I will keep you all updated as to how we get on.

Fi x

That's great news. Some people have found that the Burgess Excel pellets don't agree with their buns, so it may be worth changing to another; SS and A&P are mentioned quite often here. I changed mine to SS from excel and haven't had any problems. Well done you for being so on the ball and noticing there was something not right. He's obviously got a great bunnymummy and a good vet!!:D

Well thats good to hear! Well done for getting him to the vets asap. :D

I agree about the Excell, I had real problems with a sticky bum in the past (not me personally lol) and if little Comet has too many baby Excell, he gets a sticky bum too. I'd cut back on them, or start slowly swapping over to SS.

Last edited:
That's great news. Some people have found that the Burgess Excel pellets don't agree with their buns, so it may be worth changing to another; SS and A&P are mentioned quite often here. I changed mine to SS from excel and haven't had any problems. Well done you for being so on the ball and noticing there was something not right. He's obviously got a great bunnymummy and a good vet!!:D

Aww thank you! I have to admit I was stressing out quite a bit. I think I am on edge because it's all new to me. :lol:
The vet is really great, Sara recommended him to me :D Jack is in good hands :D

Well thats good to hear! Well done for getting him to the vets asap. :D

I agree about the Excell, I had real problems with a sticky bum in the past (not me personally lol) and if little Comet has too many baby Excell, he gets a sticky bum too. I'd cut back on them, or start slowly swapping over to SS.

Interesing point, I might look into that when Jacks feeling a little better :D Thank you :D

So pleased that Jack got on OK at the Vets :)
I hope the Vet was suitably appreciative of Jack's gift of some poo!! :lol:

Hopefully lots of hay and the Bio-Lapis will see Jack's tum back to normal in a day or so

Well done you for being such and observant Bunny Mummy !! :D

Janex

Aww thank you! I have to admit I was stressing out quite a bit. I think I am on edge because it's all new to me. :lol:
The vet is really great, Sara recommended him to me :D Jack is in good hands :D

It's a steep learning curve, and we're all still struggling up that hill:lol::lol:

Back