• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Suspected URTI advice please

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about the interaction of metaclop! I'm kicking myself a bit at the moment because they asked me yesterday whether I wanted a printed copy of the invoice but I said no to save paper. But it would actually have been useful to see all the drugs they gave her yesterday.

Still, on a positive note she deposited a nice little pile of poos earlier. She's having a good sleep at the moment and is in a loaf which is her normal sleeping position. Yesterday and this morning she was either in the sphinx or was wrapped around the water bowl (for some weird reason!). Baby steps, but I think any little signs of normal behaviour are always encouraging! She also had a little bit of a nibble on some hay.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Boobly says her favourite recovery foods are pear & tenderstem broccoli . It makes sense she is out of sorts learning she has had buprenorphine as I've read how that can affect buns (Rudey had some after his Valentine scrap with Joe but it seemed to have no negative effects - he appeared exactly as without it)

Loads & loads more vibes xx
Snoopy was given vetergesic once. To be honest he normally sits around like a stunned mullet anyway so it was hard to see any difference!

I've just had a call from the vet. The good news is that the scan didn't show anything sinister with regards to her nasal area. Tooth roots are fine, nasal passage is clear. Also no signs of nasal tumours. That stunned me a little bit as I wasn't expecting that as a possibility! They're thinking it might still be a bacterial infection so we're waiting on the culture to grow. We should get the results back next week and then discuss where to go from there.

Now for the not so good news. The scan picked up signs of early kidney disease. [emoji17] He said the only thing we can really do is monitor. So I need to watch if she starts drinking excessively and if she starts to lose any weight. If that happens, they would then look at doing blood tests. He also said to restrict calcium in the diet. Both buns are on a no pellet diet. They don't have any veg, it's just fresh forage and herbs for greens. I can cut dandelion and parsley. Any other suggestions would be gratefully received. I'm a little bit shocked to be honest as there has been no indication of possible kidney issues.

One thing I forgot to ask is what we do in future in regards to pain relief. I understand that metacam is not the best for rabbits with kidney disease. But as we've seen, she doesn't get on well with vetergesic! I'll ask him about it when he calls back next week.

I've just had a call from the vet. The good news is that the scan didn't show anything sinister with regards to her nasal area. Tooth roots are fine, nasal passage is clear. Also no signs of nasal tumours. That stunned me a little bit as I wasn't expecting that as a possibility! They're thinking it might still be a bacterial infection so we're waiting on the culture to grow. We should get the results back next week and then discuss where to go from there.

Now for the not so good news. The scan picked up signs of early kidney disease. [emoji17] He said the only thing we can really do is monitor. So I need to watch if she starts drinking excessively and if she starts to lose any weight. If that happens, they would then look at doing blood tests. He also said to restrict calcium in the diet. Both buns are on a no pellet diet. They don't have any veg, it's just fresh forage and herbs for greens. I can cut dandelion and parsley. Any other suggestions would be gratefully received. I'm a little bit shocked to be honest as there has been no indication of possible kidney issues.

One thing I forgot to ask is what we do in future in regards to pain relief. I understand that metacam is not the best for rabbits with kidney disease. But as we've seen, she doesn't get on well with vetergesic! I'll ask him about it when he calls back next week.

Was the Vet specific as to what abnormalities were noted re the Kidneys ?

A bit of info here re dietary recommendations

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...t-for-rabbits-with-urinary-tract-disease/view

Has the Vet mentioned nebulising Fudge ? I have found this to be extremely useful in the management of Rabbits with URT issues. When Dara came to me she was sneezing constantly, producing just a watery nasal discharge. My Rabbit Savvy Vet felt that Dara did not have an 'active' infection and so we held off any abx but nebulised Dara 3 times a day with just sterile saline. After a week of this Dara's sneezing stopped. She has now not sneezed at all for over 3 weeks.

Is Fudge a brachycephalic (short nosed) Rabbit ?

Was the Vet specific as to what abnormalities were noted re the Kidneys ?

A bit of info here re dietary recommendations

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...t-for-rabbits-with-urinary-tract-disease/view

Has the Vet mentioned nebulising Fudge ? I have found this to be extremely useful in the management of Rabbits with URT issues. When Dara came to me she was sneezing constantly, producing just a watery nasal discharge. My Rabbit Savvy Vet felt that Dara did not have an 'active' infection and so we held off any abx but nebulised Dara 3 times a day with just sterile saline. After a week of this Dara's sneezing stopped. She has now not sneezed at all for over 3 weeks.

Is Fudge a brachycephalic (short nosed) Rabbit ?
If I remember correctly he said it showed blood wasn't flowing to all parts of the kidneys. He did say there was no way of knowing whether this was genetic or whether it's something that developed recently. He did say that it's not uncommon in older rabbits, I.e when they reach the age of around 6, 7 years. I've estimated Fudgie's age to be around 5 and a half to 6. He also mentioned that it's not something that would normally be picked, I.e no obvious symptoms. It's only really by chance it was discovered because we were doing a scan looking for something else! So at least I don't have to beat myself up that I might have missed obvious warning signs.

Neubilising was mentioned as an option on the table when I had my first appointment at the RVC. I think they want to see the results of the culture first and then go from there. I'll certainly mention it again next time I speak to the vet.

She's also not a short nosed rabbit.

oh Scrappy :( I'm so sorry to hear of her early signs of kidney disease. That must be a huge shock as I don't expect that was even on your radar.

Her diet sounds really good so I don't really know how much you could change. You'll have seen FHB dissecting all foods to explore calcium content

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/calcium-and-rabbit-food

Big hugs xx
Thank you xx

I know I couldn't believe it. I really wasn't expecting anything like that! I'm trying to rationalise it by thinking that the one positive is that it's been picked up early so I can at least try and do something to slow down its progress, even though I know it's not curable. It's a bit of a stinger as we lost a cat a few years ago to kidney disease [emoji17]

Thanks very much for the FHB link xx

I'm pleased to hear that Fudgie is getting back to her normal self, a little bit of nibble and poop output. Sorry to hear about the kidney issue, at least you now know as it's been picked up early. Lots more vibes for Fudgie xx

Thanks Petsmum xx

She has been sleeping a lot today, which I don't think is a bad thing because I'm sure plenty of rest is a good thing for her. I held off the 7pm syringe feed as she started eating some more hay. She's currently in one of the litter trays, alternating between eating and dozing. It seems a decent balance so I don't want to disturb that!

I'm still feeling quite upset about the kidney diagnosis. In the FHB links Jane and J&B kindly posted, grass was mentioned as one of the best foods for bunnies with urinary issues. I went out earlier and picked loads of grass. Just doing something practical that could help her did make me feel a bit better.

I'm also hoping that Fudgie has had a good night and is feeling much more normal-like this morning.

I'm sorry that the scan result showed a kidney problem. I, too, would be very upset about this. In addition to monitoring the Calcium content of her food, have you thought about her water? I understand that Tesco ashbeck is low in Calcium.

Thanks all xx I'm pleased to say Fudgie is pretty much back to her normal self now. She improved a lot yesterday evening and has been eating her hay and grass.

Omi, I asked the vet yesterday about switching to bottled water. He said not to bother but to be honest I will still switch to low calcium bottled water anyway. It will just niggle away in my mind if I don't because I'll feel I'm not doing absolutely everything I can for her.

Sorry to hear the news wasn't quite what you expected. She's lucky she has you looking out for her though and now you know, you can monitor her and she will still have a wonderful life.

I’m sorry that the news wasn’t better :cry: I’m glad she is feeling better today:love: she will be completely unaware of health issues and I’m sure she will get the best of care :love:

Thanks all xx

I'm very pleased with how she's been doing today. Her appetite is back with a vengeance and she is much brighter.

I went to Tesco earlier and got two five litre bottles of the Ashbeck water (thanks to Omi for the heads up on that) and the buns have given it their seal of approval.

So pleased to hear that Fudgie is back to her old self, that must be a big relief for you. Glad the buns approve of their water :D hope you can relax a bit now after all the worry xx

Back