• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Suspected URTI advice please

Hi all

I'm just looking for advice from people with experience of URTIs.

I mentioned this in another thread in Chat, but last Friday Fudgie suddenly began sneezing a lot. I took her to the vet on Monday. There is no discharge or crusting on her chest or paws, she is bright and eating and pooping well. Vet said it could be an allergy, URTI or something stuck up her nose. She decided to initially treat it as a URTI and prescribed a week long course of baytril to start off and to be continued if it appears to be working. The vet said I should expect to see some improvement after 5 days. If not, the next step is to put her under sedation for a more thorough investigation of what's going on.

She's had 6 doses of baytril and is still sneezing an awful lot and occassionally makes quacking sounds. I don't think there's really been much improvement at all. I know you need to give antibiotics time to work, but would it be reasonable to assume at this stage that the baytril isn't working?

The next step therefore would be to put her under sedation. I have to admit I'm very anxious about having her sedated if her respiratory tract is potentially compromised. Yet another part of me feels it's better to do it sooner rather than later while she is still well in herself and it would mean getting to the bottom of it quicker.

Or do we stay on the antibiotic route for now? When Scrappy had a nasty eye infection, we wasted so much time on antibiotics that did nothing to help. It was only the penicillin that really dealt with it. Fudgie has a follow up appointment on Tuesday and I'm wondering if I should start pushing for heavy duty antibiotics, I.e the penicillin. Or do we just need to persevere with the baytril? I'm going to continue with it until the appointment, by which time she will have been on an 8 day course so I'm hoping that by then I'll be more sure if it's having an effect.

I should add that there is still no sign of any discharge, although my understanding is that that in itself doesn't mean there is no infection. I also appreciate that an allergy can't be ruled out.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. I know I need to advocate for her strongly but at the moment I feel paralysed by indecision on how best to do that.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Hi all

I mentioned this in another thread in Chat, but last Friday Fudgie suddenly began sneezing a lot. I took her to the vet on Monday. There is no discharge or crusting on her chest or paws, she is bright and eating and pooping well. Vet said it could be an allergy, URTI or something stuck up her nose. She decided to initially treat it as a URTI and prescribed a week long course of baytril to start off and to be continued if it appears to be working. The vet said I should expect to see some improvement after 5 days. If not, the next step is to put her under sedation for a more thorough investigation of what's going on.

She's had 6 doses of baytril and is still sneezing an awful lot and occassionally makes quacking sounds. I don't think there's really been much improvement at all. I know you need to give antibiotics time to work, but would it be reasonable to assume at this stage that the baytril isn't working?

The next step therefore would be to put her under sedation. I have to admit I'm very anxious about having her sedated if her respiratory tract is potentially compromised. Yet another part of me feels it's better to do it sooner rather than later while she is still well in herself and it would mean getting to the bottom of it quicker.

Or do we stay on the antibiotic route for now? When Scrappy had a nasty eye infection, we wasted so much time on antibiotics that did nothing to help. It was only the penicillin that really dealt with it. Fudgie has a follow up appointment on Tuesday and I'm wondering if I should start pushing for heavy duty antibiotics, I.e the penicillin. Or do we just need to persevere with the baytril? I'm going to continue with it until the appointment, by which time she will have been on an 8 day course so I'm hoping that by then I'll be more sure if it's having an effect.

I should add that there is still no sign of any discharge, although my understanding is that that in itself doesn't mean there is no infection. I also appreciate that an allergy can't be ruled out.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. I know I need to advocate for her strongly but at the moment I feel paralysed by indecision on how best to do that.

What is her respiratory rate/effort like ? Normal or increased ? Has she had any reduction in her exercise tolerance ? I am assuming that the Vet had a good listen to her lungs/heart ? 'Dry' sneezes are often more indicative of problems in the lower respiratory tract/heart

Is she a 'Dental' Rabbit ? Problems with the tooth roots can cause a lot of sneezing. Sometimes this can start off as 'dry' sneezes.

Thanks for replying Jane.

Yes, the vet had a good listen to her heart and chest. She said her chest sounded clear and she had a good strong heartbeat. In terms of day to day, she is still as active as ever. She hasn't yet shown signs of lethargy or being out of breath.

She isn't known to be a dental bun at this stage. The only issue with her teeth is that one is at a slight angle, which is something we have to keep an eye on in case she develops problems with spurs. I've just had a thought: maybe the root of the tooth is also angled towards the nasal duct and that's what has triggered the sneezing? Of course I know that's only something that could be picked up with scans or x rays.

ETA: just remembered that the angled tooth is on her bottom jaw, so it couldn't be that that's causing any potential problems with the nasal ducts.

If it is potentially a lower respiratory tract or heart problem, would it be safe for her to go under sedation? At the moment I'm leaning more towards going down that route first.

Oh Scrappy :( I feel for you. Its horrible knowing you need to advocate but not sure of the direction. My feelings are erring towards dental & I know that's only because the dry sneezing & quacking were what first alerted me to Boo being a dental bun. But I thankfully have limited experience of URTI's - I don't know but surely there would be signs of infection? Allergies I guess are more difficult as the possibilities are 1) exposure to new allergen 2) new issue with existing allergen which could cover anything & everything. I wonder if there is a bunny equivalent to piriton so you could rule out the allergy thing.

Loads of vibes for gorgeous Fudgie. Is domestic harmony still reigning? xx

Thanks J&B. That's really useful in helping to narrow down the possibilities of what's causing the sneezing. I'll definitely mention the teeth to the vet when I see her on Tuesday. Her teeth have always looked good on examination but I know there could be issues further back that can only be picked up with a scan.

I really appreciate your input, I feel a lot clearer in my mind now about what direction we need to go in. Even though the thought of it terrifies me, further investigations under a scan seems the most sensible way forward. The vet did mention taking nose swabs as well while she's under (in case there is an infection) but I don't know how accurate any findings will be now she's had a week of baytril.

I'm pleased to say that her and Snoopy got over their bout of silliness and are best friends again. Snoopy actually bit me on the bum the other day so I confidently say that normal service has resumed!

2) new issue with existing allergen which could cover anything & everything. I wonder if there is a bunny equivalent to piriton so you could rule out the allergy thing.

Children's liquid Piriton is safe for bunnies (although high in sugar!), as Phillip took it when he was a few months old for suspected allergies. He still has it occasionally if we have a particularly dusty batch of hay or something else triggers him. Perhaps you could try that until your appointment alongside the antibiotics - though don't tell the chemist it's for your rabbit or they might refuse to sell it!! :lol: :lol:

We think Phillip's sneezing, although he does have minor allergies, was also a symptom of his teeth/heart condition. He has been under sedation multiple times for tests and I totally get how scary it is, so sending lots of positive vibes to you all.

Children's liquid Piriton is safe for bunnies (although high in sugar!), as Phillip took it when he was a few months old for suspected allergies. He still has it occasionally if we have a particularly dusty batch of hay or something else triggers him. Perhaps you could try that until your appointment alongside the antibiotics - though don't tell the chemist it's for your rabbit or they might refuse to sell it!! [emoji38] [emoji38]

We think Phillip's sneezing, although he does have minor allergies, was also a symptom of his teeth/heart condition. He has been under sedation multiple times for tests and I totally get how scary it is, so sending lots of positive vibes to you all.

Atticus has this for his hayfever :)

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Sending loads of vibes for Fudgie. I hope you and the vet can get to the bottom of her sneezing.

Hi all

dear scrappy,s little helper,-here we go,-wow-nasal culture must be done!!-,must know what bacteria for proper treatment,--oh,believe me the baytril is working-killing gut flora bacteria good and bad,-this is not a rabbit savy vet..--this is guess work..-NO penicillin,there is a [G-penicillin],please donot get confused about this. there are safe and Unsafe meds just as there are safe and unsafe weeds,woods..--the immune system has been compromised--need to treat food with probotics,electrolytes http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html and http://www.medirabbit.com diet must be 70%grasses.ie timothy,orchard-quality pellets,lots of clean water,some treats..[please ]-donot be upset,you have been taken advantage of,-lets help fudgie--sincerely james waller from the other kent -usa

dear scrappy,s little helper,-here we go,-wow-nasal culture must be done!!-,must know what bacteria for proper treatment,--oh,believe me the baytril is working-killing gut flora bacteria good and bad,-this is not a rabbit savy vet..--this is guess work..-NO penicillin,there is a [G-penicillin],please donot get confused about this. there are safe and Unsafe meds just as there are safe and unsafe weeds,woods..--the immune system has been compromised--need to treat food with probotics,electrolytes http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html and http://www.medirabbit.com diet must be 70%grasses.ie timothy,orchard-quality pellets,lots of clean water,some treats..[please ]-donot be upset,you have been taken advantage of,-lets help fudgie--sincerely james waller from the other kent -usa

In the UK, vets have to work down the prescribing cascade - for rabbits, this tends to mean that the first line antibiotic is Baytril.

Thanks very much everyone. I will speak to the vet about trying the piriton when I see her on Tuesday. I'm reluctant to try it beforehand as I'm a bit of a nervous Nellie and feel uncomfortable about giving any medication to my buns without discussing it with a vet first. I hope that doesn't cause any offence as I really do appreciate the suggestion.

Thanks very much everyone. I will speak to the vet about trying the piriton when I see her on Tuesday. I'm reluctant to try it beforehand as I'm a bit of a nervous Nellie and feel uncomfortable about giving any medication to my buns without discussing it with a vet first. I hope that doesn't cause any offence as I really do appreciate the suggestion.

None taken - hope the vet visit goes well and you get some answers soon :)

Oh ofc not! Plus you'd need your vet to work out the dose :)

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

In the UK, vets have to work down the prescribing cascade - for rabbits, this tends to mean that the first line antibiotic is Baytril.
dear shimmer,-sorry,--if-i missed something here..--first generation meds are fine as long as the nasal culture-is positive for what the antibiotic kills..--but to just willie nilly prescribe an antibibiotic[baytril] without [nasal-culture]- is ill advised and bad for fudgie.,and there is the issue of the gitract which also must be delt with..--.please don,t be angry-,I am only stressing urgency,--please keep us posted--sincerely james waller from the other kent,wa.-usa

Just wanted to say good luck for tomorrow.
Thank you, it's really appreciated.

Just a quick update. Fudgie's sneezing has eased off a bit yesterday and today. But she's still sneezing and quacking too much for my liking.

An interesting observation I've made is that the frequency and severity of the sneezing reduces drastically late at night. I first noticed it on Wednesday and it gave me false hope she was getting better. But the pattern has replicated itself every night since. I actually stayed up until 3am Sunday morning to make sure.

I really don't know what to make of that or how significant it is. I'll certainly be mentioning it to the vet tomorrow and see what she says.

Back