• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Surely this is wrong Pets@home?

Even if this is true I don't see how it will change that much in the end? Parents will simply put this voucher in a card or whatever and the kids will go and pick their rabbit after the Easter weekend...I know it might stop some being sold but I'll bet it hardly makes a difference

I agree it's far from ideal, but I suppose some is better than none. Hopefully with RSPCA and/or RWAF involvement the Easter deal can be stopped (as a start)!

They have condradicted themselves by saying remember the 3 hop rule then selling tiny cages x

Yes ^^

This should be pointed out to them :thumb:

I was speaking to Jo Hinde and she said that apparently they justify having the small indoor cages as they ''assume'' that rabbits indoors will not be kept in these cages for long periods and will be allowed to roam the house, whereas rabbit outdoors a hutch would be their permanent residence....

I was speaking to Jo Hinde and she said that apparently they justify having the small indoor cages as they ''assume'' that rabbits indoors will not be kept in these cages for long periods and will be allowed to roam the house, whereas rabbit outdoors a hutch would be their permanent residence....

<sigh> I can't really imagine they don't know how destructive rabbits can be. It must be a naive excuse to sell these tiny cages, reinforcing the myth that rabbits are very cheap pets to keep.

In other words 'we promote buying an Easter Rabbit that you can then incarcerate in solitary confinement in a cage that is even too small for a Guinea Pig'

Eeeeeeejits :evil:

In other words 'we promote buying an Easter Rabbit that you can then incarcerate in solitary confinement in a cage that is even too small for a Guinea Pig'

Eeeeeeejits :evil:

The worst thing is I posted this on my FB page and there are quite a few people arguing with me that this is ''fine'' for a night time cage/whilst you are at work etc...

I mean I know I'm hitting my head against a brick wall but I'm trying to explain that rabbits are generally most active when we are asleep, like really early hours and they just don't get that locking them up in one of these is a disgrace...I'll keep trying though.

The worst thing is I posted this on my FB page and there are quite a few people arguing with me that this is ''fine'' for a night time cage/whilst you are at work etc...

I mean I know I'm hitting my head against a brick wall but I'm trying to explain that rabbits are generally most active when we are asleep, like really early hours and they just don't get that locking them up in one of these is a disgrace...I'll keep trying though.

Its an uphill struggle. Even on here I read people saying that they shut their rabbits in hutches for the night ...

Then they will be moaning about the fact that they are being kept awake all night by their Rabbit chewing the bars of their prison....I mean cage :roll:

I cant understand how P@H can appear to promote more appropriate Housing in a leaflet, then undo it all by trying to make a quick buck (Sorry!!) on an Easter Deal selling a cage not anywhere near recommended size standards.

I fell out with my local PAH and - they were selling their smallest size hutch, an adoption centre rabbit and a harness (!!) to two people who hadn't a clue.

I am normally calm but lost it a bit and have not been in since.

Ugh yikes. We got one of these years back for a single(!) guinea pig, but we STILL upgraded it as he grew older. I think the base is now being used as a tray for seedlings in the back garden now. I also swear Athena is currently using the tray of a hamster cage as a litter tray. That's bigger than these. We don't keep hamsters anymore; the last hamster cage we had was massive. Bigger than many cages (prisons) sold for rabbits/guinea pigs these days. We sold it to a friend who now uses it as a home base for her rats.

My local P@H is very hit and miss. Their sales of fish are usually pretty good (asking if the tank is cycled or not and so on) but not so impressed on other aspects. At least they didn't try to force one of these ridiculous indoor cages on us when we picked up Athena. :roll: Her base is the largest dog kennel we can find, but she's allowed free range of the whole house during the day and dining room/kitchen at night. But she's a lucky one I guess.

I was in p@h last night and they had cards everywhere (and about a million baby rabbits being sold two for £52) that said their cages exceeded guidelines so rabbits would have even more room to hop! I couldn't believe my eyes, I was like really? Went and looked at the cages.... Not really!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We fell for this! We did a little bit of research before getting our buns but nowhere near enough! We only went in to P@H for Hamster food and came out with our two boys, bad idea really considering that we were already considering getting some Rabbits! They were in the adoption center and they looked so miserable that we couldn't leave them behind! We got a 2 tier cage that was recommended to us by the assistant and it's pretty obvious now that it was a complete rip off and totally unsuitable! Flimsy too! As soon as we got home we did lots of research and decided that we would split the cage into two halves, leave it open at all times and give them the spare bedroom for when we are out of the house and when we are home they have the whole house (well... they have upstairs because they won't do the stairs! Haha!). I guess our two were lucky that we decided to look into it but I imagine that there are plenty of families out there that will happily take the advice from P@H and just won't bother... :(

Before

After :) (It's actually a lot better now but haven't got any recent photos!)

We fell for this! We did a little bit of research before getting our buns but nowhere near enough! We only went in to P@H for Hamster food and came out with our two boys, bad idea really considering that we were already considering getting some Rabbits! They were in the adoption center and they looked so miserable that we couldn't leave them behind! We got a 2 tier cage that was recommended to us by the assistant and it's pretty obvious now that it was a complete rip off and totally unsuitable! Flimsy too! As soon as we got home we did lots of research and decided that we would split the cage into two halves, leave it open at all times and give them the spare bedroom for when we are out of the house and when we are home they have the whole house (well... they have upstairs because they won't do the stairs! Haha!). I guess our two were lucky that we decided to look into it but I imagine that there are plenty of families out there that will happily take the advice from P@H and just won't bother... :(

Before

After :) (It's actually a lot better now but haven't got any recent photos!)

That looks like a really good set up they have now. :)

That new setup is gorgeous! :thumb:

I was in contact with a girl called Sally who is in contact with Pets at Home and she said that they do not sell rabbits over the Easter period but instead offer vouchers (as said before) But Lisa (Mabel and Sox's Mum) has just told me that she was in there and saw a little girl getting a rabbit so that's obviously a complete lie...

Thank you :D They've settled in really well so I assume they like it too!
Also, they were 3 and a half months old when I got them and they were both unneutered and I wasn't told anything about boys fighting :/ As the buyer I have to take some responsibility for not doing enough research but I think that they probably should have warned us what COULD happen if they were left unneutered. We took them the vets the next day and both their testicles had dropped and sure enough, as soon as they got comfortable in their space, the territorial behaviour began. Luckily it never escalated into a full on fight but I do think that a warning should be given when getting a same sex pair from P@H! They are happy, neutered snuggle bunnies now though!

We also bought the tiny cage, which is just used as a litter tray for our two as they have a whole room in the house and free range downstairs at night! I feel guilty when I have to put them in a carry case to take them somewhere as they look too closed in! I'd also prefer pet shops to stop selling live animals, and get so upset when I see tiny outdoor or indoor hutches being advertised for bunnies...our hamster has more space than some of these. And also people need to realise that 'minimum space' means just that, it is the absolute minimum space the bunny needs, but more is better! And it's space for the bunny to live, not the minimum space you are prepared to sacrifice in your house or garden. If you can't provide what they need, then don't get one...

Ok, rant over...

That new setup is gorgeous! :thumb:

I was in contact with a girl called Sally who is in contact with Pets at Home and she said that they do not sell rabbits over the Easter period but instead offer vouchers (as said before) But Lisa (Mabel and Sox's Mum) has just told me that she was in there and saw a little girl getting a rabbit so that's obviously a complete lie...

:cry: I know so much for easter amnesty, total lies, only went in as nephew wanted to look at fish and we went b&m :cry:

We also bought the tiny cage, which is just used as a litter tray for our two as they have a whole room in the house and free range downstairs at night! I feel guilty when I have to put them in a carry case to take them somewhere as they look too closed in! I'd also prefer pet shops to stop selling live animals, and get so upset when I see tiny outdoor or indoor hutches being advertised for bunnies...our hamster has more space than some of these. And also people need to realise that 'minimum space' means just that, it is the absolute minimum space the bunny needs, but more is better! And it's space for the bunny to live, not the minimum space you are prepared to sacrifice in your house or garden. If you can't provide what they need, then don't get one...

Ok, rant over...

I think this is the best use for a P@H cage :shock:

Back