• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sudden Fighting?

kerry-123

Mama Doe
My two boys (both neutered) started fighting randomly today :? they bonded soo well too and are best of friends. I'm so confused. Is it because I moved them into their old living quaters (the shed) that was previously occupied by the girls? But they've lived in there for two days now with no bother... Like maybe from the girl scent it started a fight? I showed them to eachother today (mum was holding Buddy I was holding Joey) and they didn't seem to want to fight. I've them seperated now, just wondering what could have caused this and what to do next? I'm afraid of them fighting again :cry:

Is it because I moved them into their old living quaters (the shed) that was previously occupied by the girls?

I'd be almost certain this is the case. The smell of female bunnies (or any other bunnies for that matter) is likely to set off territorial instincts, even in neutered buns. Even though they'd been there for a couple of days it's still very likely - maybe they were bickering a bit in the first day or two anyway and it just didn't escalate into a serious fight until after a couple of days.

Is it the only place they can live? I would thoroughly clean and disinfect it and anything in it, making sure you get into all the nooks and crannies, then wash it off with vinegar and rinse it off. It will reek for a while so the buns won't be able to go in it straight away but it will hopefully get rid of the bunny smell. There's no way I'd try and put them back in there together without rebonding on neutral territory and making sure this has been done.

Good luck xx

I'd be almost certain this is the case. The smell of female bunnies (or any other bunnies for that matter) is likely to set off territorial instincts, even in neutered buns. Even though they'd been there for a couple of days it's still very likely - maybe they were bickering a bit in the first day or two anyway and it just didn't escalate into a serious fight until after a couple of days.

Is it the only place they can live? I would thoroughly clean and disinfect it and anything in it, making sure you get into all the nooks and crannies, then wash it off with vinegar and rinse it off. It will reek for a while so the buns won't be able to go in it straight away but it will hopefully get rid of the bunny smell. There's no way I'd try and put them back in there together without rebonding on neutral territory and making sure this has been done.

Good luck xx

Thanks I'll go out there now (I think it's mostly the walls because they were kinda peeing up them, because we cleaned the floor and litter trays out before they went back in) So go out now (IN THE DARK:shock:) and clean like mad lol

How long have they been separated for? I would treat them as if they have never met each other before and start the bond as if you would for a new pair of rabbits...neutral territory and somewhere you can keep an eye on them. They could do serious damage to each other if they start fighting without you being there to separate them so it's essential that they are settled together again before being put back into the shed.

Hope everything goes smoothly xx

How long have they been separated for? I would treat them as if they have never met each other before and start the bond as if you would for a new pair of rabbits...neutral territory and somewhere you can keep an eye on them. They could do serious damage to each other if they start fighting without you being there to separate them so it's essential that they are settled together again before being put back into the shed.

Hope everything goes smoothly xx

Great news rebonding went well :) Lots of chasing, fur pulling but no drastic fighting. Cleaned all the shed out last night and they are bouncing about in there as if nothing happened :) Really glad it happened quickly we even had grooming this morning :)

Back