• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

stupid family pet owners

I think this bun is gonna be big going by the size of mum!!

http://www.petscorner.co.uk/small-animal/hutches/fab-jumbo-hutch

This is the other hutch I was considering, would be good to know what people think!!

as you are buying from a breeder you should be told the breed ?? which will give you a an idea on the size the bun could grow too

180 is 6 ft :)

to be honest as large as you can afford single bun 5 x 2 x2 dbl hutch with run attached would be nice, for small to medium breeds

large and giants your better off with a shed, wendy house with attached run, thisway can work out cheaper than buying a huge hutch personally i feel there isnt really anything suitable on the market for large giant breeds

as you are buying from a breeder you should be told the breed ?? which will give you a an idea on the size the bun could grow too

180 is 6 ft :)

to be honest as large as you can afford single bun 5 x 2 x2 dbl hutch with run attached would be nice, for small to medium breeds

large and giants your better off with a shed, wendy house with attached run, thisway can work out cheaper than buying a huge hutch personally i feel there isnt really anything suitable on the market for large giant breeds

I was told he is a mini lop, and although dad looks like a mini lop, mum looks more dwarf to me. I suppose with the amount of cross breeding that is done these days you never can be too sure and now with people trying to breed a micro lop of all things!

My daughter has a playhouse and I dont think she would be too keen to give it up to bun just yet, still has too many tea parties to hold, lol! Not sure we would fit another one but might be able to in the future with a move around.

The hutch that I put the link on for also has a run which you buy separately then attach on to the front the size for that is L 150cm, W750cm and H750cm. Do you think this would be suitable set up for one bun. If i feel the attention from us is not enough for him and I feel he is lonely then I will try bond with spayed female but I havent had very good experiences with bonding so a bit wary at the moment!

I have a family member who left their rabbit to slowly, painfully die from myxomatosis because they couldn't be bothered to take it to the vet. Then a few weeks ago they went to P@H and bought another baby rabbit :cry:

It's one thing when strangers do that, but when it's your own family it hurts so much more.

I was told he is a mini lop, and although dad looks like a mini lop, mum looks more dwarf to me. I suppose with the amount of cross breeding that is done these days you never can be too sure and now with people trying to breed a micro lop of all things!

My daughter has a playhouse and I dont think she would be too keen to give it up to bun just yet, still has too many tea parties to hold, lol! Not sure we would fit another one but might be able to in the future with a move around.

The hutch that I put the link on for also has a run which you buy separately then attach on to the front the size for that is L 150cm, W750cm and H750cm. Do you think this would be suitable set up for one bun. If i feel the attention from us is not enough for him and I feel he is lonely then I will try bond with spayed female but I havent had very good experiences with bonding so a bit wary at the moment!

for 2 buns id really look into 6x2x2 with run gives chance to grow, and space to move, there are quite alot of deal online Pets at home hutches are not really sturdy for the price you are paying to be honest there are cheaper out there :)

as for bonding both buns are best neutered as soon as sexually mature 12 weeks for boys girl bit longer, though best to ring round vets as girl have more delicate parts vets often prefere to wait and if you have a small breed possiably longer as weight will be taken into consideration,

a rescue is often a better idea, most offer bonding, alot of rescues neuter there buns before rehomeing, this will incure a higher fee but often its less than buying the rabbit and getting it neutered and vax seperate at the vets, plus they would of had time to get to know the buns characteristics, as bonding is often done this way not by size age or breed, and if any problems they have will most like have been noted too, :)

for 2 buns id really look into 6x2x2 with run gives chance to grow, and space to move, there are quite alot of deal online Pets at home hutches are not really sturdy for the price you are paying to be honest there are cheaper out there :)

as for bonding both buns are best neutered as soon as sexually mature 12 weeks for boys girl bit longer, though best to ring round vets as girl have more delicate parts vets often prefere to wait and if you have a small breed possiably longer as weight will be taken into consideration,

a rescue is often a better idea, most offer bonding, alot of rescues neuter there buns before rehomeing, this will incure a higher fee but often its less than buying the rabbit and getting it neutered and vax seperate at the vets, plus they would of had time to get to know the buns characteristics, as bonding is often done this way not by size age or breed, and if any problems they have will most like have been noted too, :)

I am certainly planning on neutering bun (really should start calling him by his name) Pip as soon as he is ready and then if we do bond him it will be with a female from rescue centre, as far as I am aware though we don't have many rescue centrse near me, there is only the RSPCA so hopefully they will be able to help, but I am going try him on his own for a while with plenty of toys, exercise and love and affection from us. I appreciate this isnt ideal but just going by my previous experience would like to give this a go as would really like to bond him with me first!

I am certainly planning on neutering bun (really should start calling him by his name) Pip as soon as he is ready and then if we do bond him it will be with a female from rescue centre, as far as I am aware though we don't have many rescue centrse near me, there is only the RSPCA so hopefully they will be able to help, but I am going try him on his own for a while with plenty of toys, exercise and love and affection from us. I appreciate this isnt ideal but just going by my previous experience would like to give this a go as would really like to bond him with me first!

no thats fine its often better to let hormones settle after a deplumming, before getting a partner so this can take 6 to 8 weeks to be safe, im sure there are some rescues in your area,
if not do you or your hubby drive at all ?there may be one on the outskirts, for the right home rescues will sometimes offer a bunny run,:) Id offer to do the bonding but im bit far from you to travel, I understand how nerve wracking bonding can be, ive bonded other peoples, just not my own got someone else to do it for me :lol: but there are few of use here who offer step by step guides to bonding, mainly as stress and panic relievers, more than anything:lol: had a phone calls of worry and hair pulling :lol:

once you have your bun and got him sorted and settled when your ready have a look at rabbit rehome too start in your area then work out a bit until you find a rescue,

no thats fine its often better to let hormones settle after a deplumming, before getting a partner so this can take 6 to 8 weeks to be safe, im sure there are some rescues in your area,
if not do you or your hubby drive at all ?there may be one on the outskirts, for the right home rescues will sometimes offer a bunny run,:) Id offer to do the bonding but im bit far from you to travel, I understand how nerve wracking bonding can be, ive bonded other peoples, just not my own got someone else to do it for me :lol: but there are few of use here who offer step by step guides to bonding, mainly as stress and panic relievers, more than anything:lol: had a phone calls of worry and hair pulling :lol:

once you have your bun and got him sorted and settled when your ready have a look at rabbit rehome too start in your area then work out a bit until you find a rescue,

Thanks! Will google rescue centre and see what I can find.

I am really looking forward to having a bun again. I had a bonded male and female 2 1/2 years ago, my girl didnt like me much though was very jealous of me going near her husbun, which was her brother! I had a difficult pregnancy and couldnt do what needed to be done fully with them so they were looked after by a friend for a while supposedly till I had my baby but after I had my baby my friends children loved having harley and honey and they seemed really happy too so I thought perhaps I should leave them where they were, which was hard but I did have newborn to look after so thought maybe for the best. Honey unfortunately died last year, which made me feel very guilty but Harley still good and well! Bless him!

So easing myself in again after the break but really excited missed bunny cuddles, not that I got many if honey had anything to do with it! lol

So trying to get as much advice and info before Pip arrives.

to be fair i dont have much luck with females, one is very terrorial of her hutch and will lunge growl and bite,( my 11 year old has two loverly scars as do i ) my other lil girl is timid around new people and with thump and run off, and my other girl just has the im grumpy older ill do what i like attitude, :lol: wouldnt change them for the world though as its who they are and however they are with me they love their husbuns :D

so do beware while every effort is made in a rescue, or anywhere to be honest and sudden change of environment and very young child that we know (through no fault sometimes of their own) can be over excitable and cause some buns to react in differant ways no matter what age young or old, its not easy to train a child to sit still on the floor and not be tempted to lunge and grab to pick up something cute and fluffy, took me ages to make my son understand that you have to be patiant he has aspie so its taken a long while.

so while you may have one freindly bun you may find the other while a great companion for your bun, isnt as nice or is scared more of you, time and understanding goes a long way, but as you say you want to have time with just one first :) you will be fine

would it be possible to cancel your purchase of the bun from the breeder and get a bonded pair from a rescue instead?

Oh, and the 6ft version of this hutch is quite good http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/details.php?product=70

hi becca :wave:
just caught up on the posts. i dont think the hutch is to bad ive seen it in p@h and for a small breed which will have ann attached run or a lot of free range then it would be okay but she wants to put two un related un neuetered males in with no run thats what im so annoyed about the hutch for and when i tried to help her she just gave me insults.
however personally if you are only getting one atm and then going to get another in a near future i would deffo get a bigger hutch as two would not fit in the ferplast one so it would save you money in the long run. :D

hi becca :wave:
just caught up on the posts. i dont think the hutch is to bad ive seen it in p@h and for a small breed which will have ann attached run or a lot of free range then it would be okay but she wants to put two un related un neuetered males in with no run thats what im so annoyed about the hutch for and when i tried to help her she just gave me insults.
however personally if you are only getting one atm and then going to get another in a near future i would deffo get a bigger hutch as two would not fit in the ferplast one so it would save you money in the long run. :D

I cant believe that someone who has kept rabbits before would put two unneutered male rabbits together, they are obviously going to fight at some point, and even if they are neutered they still might not get on, very stupid and not going to be very nice for a 4 and 2 year old to witness either!

I keep looking at hutches online and I see one I like, but the size isnt right or I find one thats a good size but the not sure on quality, its hard looking online I like to see things in flesh or wood.lol

http://www.the-rabbit-hutch-shop.com/natura-giant-rabbit-hutch-and-run-tr62322.html

http://www.the-rabbit-hutch-shop.com/natura-giant-rabbit-hutch-and-run-tr62322.html

I found this one and thought brill itss called giant that will be good but only 4ft ish wide how can they call it a giant hutch!!

Someone gave me a link to one earlier on here so going to take a look at that one now!

Oh yeah, what breed are the two rabbits your auntie is putting together?? you said you thought were going to be big!

:wave:
yeah she has kept rabbits before they had babies and she ended up with 7 which all died one winter.
well im guessing before long they will be put in the back of the garden when the boys get fed up :cry: when she had her 7 she was trying to give me them so she didnt really want them. :evil:

i know pet shops are stupid they advertise as a huge rabbit hutch and its usually 4ft. not sure if anyone has recommened it but have you thought about a shed im looking for a new one for my bunnies and homebase and bnq have got 15% off atm.

im spectualting on the size as they were p@h so your guess is as good as mine. when i was younger mum and dad got my first rabbit from them and it grew huge after them telling them it would be a small bunny. howver the one rabbit i have seen is underweight atm ( not sure on age but it was p@h new stock so it must have just left its mum) is nearly as big as mine which 9 months old. its ears flop on the floor when it hops which makes me think its some sort of lop

Back