• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange Noises & use of sunscreen

DPI

New Kit
The 'Beast of Caerbannog' has recently taken to making snuffling and chuffing noises to my wife. These seem to be Happy noises as he is normally being stroked or brushed at the time. But this is new behaviour.

Is it normal for rabbits to make happy noises. never heard of it before.

The wife is the normal care giver as I am out of the country most of the time.
he also follows her around the garden all the time, generally supervising.

Also as he is an Albino, is it acceptable to put sunscreen on his ears and nose. used to do this with a white cat years ago. Mostly it got licked off though.

I wouldn't put sunscreen on him, as it's full of chemicals that would be bad in his tummy, but make sure he has ample shade when sunny. :)

When he snuffles and chuffs, does it sound like a honk? If he circles when doing it then it'll be his hormones.
Has he been neutered? :)

...then again some bunneh's are very vocal.

Some buns are more vocal than others. You may have heard people referring to the happy noise buns make as 'tooth purring'. The 'Beast' obviously :love: your wife :)
As for sunblock on albino animals - have only experience with the use of this on hairless bits of white animals e.g. horses & dogs noses, edges of cats ears etc. The product we have here is called 'Filta-bac'.
Have just had a look at the label & it only says its for cats, dogs,horses, sheep, goats & cattle.
Really not sure about its use on buns. I suggest you check with your buns vet.
They probably won't charge for a phone query!
Would be good to find out before your summer begins.
I guess being crepuscular & not liking to get too hot either, buns actually seek to be away from intense sun anyway so maybe skin cancers aren't an issue for buns the way they are for other animals.
Maybe ask the forum if any one has had a white bun get a skin cancer.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies,

The 'BoC' has not been 'fixed' to put it delicately. Frankly I have never been keen on having animals altered to make my life easier. Just a personal thing.

We have had him about six months and he has become very affectionate and social. He has a definate thing for my sister-in-law, follows her everywhere and she's not an animal person.

I will have a word with the vet and see what she says, normally after having a dance around the garden and having supervised everyone to his satisfaction, he then flops out under the trampoline and chills.

I am not sure I would care to assign the title of 'BoC' to the wife as she's a Doctor and knows how to make it hurt and I have to sleep sometime.

BoC = Monty Python (Holy Grail) Movie. Fits my growing monster to a 'T'

Hehe, we named one of our giants 'Caern' after the same beast... rather suits her too!

Ours make snuffly noises to each other when content, or when fed (they get really excited and circle us too). They also occasionally make a honking meeping noise - we have decided it means 'Oi!' effectively.. e.g Oi move, oi feed me, oi stop that etc... they usually do it when told off / when we're preparing their food / sweeping them out etc.

Back