• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Still bonding, still stressed!

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Things have been going so well with Starbuck and Fay generally. They have been grooming and cuddling up a bit and sharing bowls of food.

They probably have one scrap a day at the moment - a bit of fur pulling then it settles down again.

They scrapped around 7ish this morning but then settled again all day, grooming and stuff.

This evening we decided to bring the base of the cage down to get them used to it, hoping that we can take them back to the bedroom where they will permanently stay from tomorrow night if all had gone well. Particularly as we want to bring Twinkle and Star in to the kitchen on Thurs night (Bonfire night).

I dont know if this has set them off again though as a big scuffle just occurred - Fay pulled Starbuck's fur out again, as usual, but this time she also ended up with a bitten ear which has bled a fair bit (seems to have stopped now).

Its sooo stressful and I am not experienced enough to know what to do at what stages, whether introducing the cage was too much too soon?!

Help please, I want someone else to do it now as I cant bear them getting hurt. I know I cant but I just want to take each of them out and give them big cuddles and kisses and strokes!! :cry:

Any more advice would be great please.

Thanks,
Helen

Oh its horrible bonding your own bunnies isnt it? It probably was because there was something new that set them off [sometimes introducing a litter tray or toys can start them off particularly if one bun lays claim to it :roll:]when did you start to bond them? If its really stressing you why dont you ring Fat Fluffs rescue up,Chloe had to "establish" my outdoor bunnies as my nerves just couldnt take it anymore,Daisy was even fighting in the pet carrier [something I was told wouldnt happen!] Best of luck

I know it's not he best solution but I had to take mine on a short car journey...to help the bond along, they'll snuggle in together..then put them back and limit their space again for a few days...then increse their space gradually...unfortunatley it takes time....my 2 still have tiffs when in the garden at first I thought it was territorial over the garden space but now I actually think it's territorial over my next door eighbours rabbit! :roll: they can see/smell each other through the fence so I need to block it all off somehow....they're best of friends after half hr or so, ...tut odd:roll:

Thank you Daisylop and Lildebs.

It was horrible to see Fay's ear bleeding last night. I was nearly at my limit.

We realised that the cage base was the problem and removed it. I think when we move them in to the bedroom, where they will live permanently, that we might as well not give them the cage base, or if we do, to give them one each.

The only reason we did it was because we want to move them, so we can bring Twinkle and Star in to the kitchen tomorrow night away from fireworks.

Back to grooming each other and rubbing noses again now - funny little things!!

Another bad fight last night between Starbuck and Fay. :cry::cry:

Starbuck is a little bit quiet today and Fay doesnt know what to do to make it up to him.

Bless their little heads. I hope they call it quits now. I cant take any more.

Forgot to add that due to fighting, OH and I slept in the spare room with the bunnies. No bed - so OH was on the floor and me on the sofa. I think we snoozed every half hour, got draft down our necks from being next to the window and aching backs, necks, muscles etc from the hard ground/cramped up sofa!!!

The things we do for our bunnies!!! :roll::roll::lol::lol::lol:

Back