• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis for the third time in a month - UPDATE - he's home!!!

They're REALLY rabbit savvy, they're really good and I completely trust them but I think we didn't do X-rays because the first time was due to a dental (my fault the hay changed and I didn't notice him not eating enough), the second time was quite minor - he was eating everything a few hours after meds so we assumed it was just a minor blip but this time he's not doing so well and I'm pretty certain it's related to him coming off pain relief as we stopped metacam about 16 hours before he started with it again.

His diet has been the same since he was 6 months old and he's 2 now so I do think it's weird that it's all come on suddenly :( I think there's something wrong. They're keeping him in tonight because the exotics vets aren't in til tomorrow then he's there for them to look at straight away. one of them is ringing me in the morning to discuss our options but I'm really pushing for diagnostics.

I'm not giving up on him, my mum is OK with funding it (student loans don't go far unfortunately) so we're trying everything we can :( I just need to speak to aiden (super rabbit man) and see what he thinks so hoping he rings me tomorrow

Spent most of my weekend crying for the last month, I just want him normal again :( xx

Ah Aiden Rafferty, yes absolutely brilliant :thumb: I really hope he gets on the case tomorrow and sorts this out for you.
I can understand you being so upset ..... Well done for having a lovely sympathetic and generous Mum xx

Ah Aiden Rafferty, yes absolutely brilliant :thumb: I really hope he gets on the case tomorrow and sorts this out for you.
I can understand you being so upset ..... Well done for having a lovely sympathetic and generous Mum xx

Aiden did his dental so that's why I'm less concerned about teeth problems, he is fantastic. There are some other really good exotics vets there but really hoping its aiden who fixes him! I've just rang and he's still not eating on his own yet (syringe feeding at the vets) so now it's been 24 hours since he's eaten on his own, I really hope there's a specific treatable reason for it xx

Update!

Think we have found the cause - I've just got off the phone with Aiden who is brilliant.

1. High WBC on bloods so think he started with an infection last weekend causing the first stasis and its carried on til this weekend, coming off pain relief and gut stimulants put him backwards a bit. Aiden thinks he's at the tail end of it but he's on ABs to make sure it's cleared.

2. I now have a dental bun... Think his jaw conformation just isn't right as he had some minor spurs again and Aiden was happy his diet wasn't causing this, probably not enough to cause discomfort but looks like he's going to need dentals every 6 months now and we are on a pellet free diet - hay, forage and veg only.

So glad something was found and it wasn't anything I was doing wrong! Unfortunately he's still not eating or drinking properly so he's staying in another night, but hoping I get my littl fuzzball home soon! :love:

Think we have found the cause - I've just got off the phone with Aiden who is brilliant.

1. High WBC on bloods so think he started with an infection last weekend causing the first stasis and its carried on til this weekend, coming off pain relief and gut stimulants put him backwards a bit. Aiden thinks he's at the tail end of it but he's on ABs to make sure it's cleared.

2. I now have a dental bun... Think his jaw conformation just isn't right as he had some minor spurs again and Aiden was happy his diet wasn't causing this, probably not enough to cause discomfort but looks like he's going to need dentals every 6 months now and we are on a pellet free diet - hay, forage and veg only.

So glad something was found and it wasn't anything I was doing wrong! Unfortunately he's still not eating or drinking properly so he's staying in another night, but hoping I get my littl fuzzball home soon! :love:

Hopefully now that a primary cause has been identified things will be more manageable for you. I hope he'll start eating for himself tonight so that he can return home tomorrow xx

Hopefully now that a primary cause has been identified things will be more manageable for you. I hope he'll start eating for himself tonight so that he can return home tomorrow xx

Thanks Jane, the vet told me that apart from not eating for himself he's a very happy bunny so I'm hoping he picks up :) xx

Wow fantastic news! Thank goodness you spoke with Aiden. I really really hope this solves the Stasis mystery for you.
Well done for persevering :thumb:

He's home!!!! I am so happy - he's done some binkies round my/his/our bed and done 8 poos and is nibbling hay and some chamomile harvest stuff already! AND I've been allowed a quick stroke :love:

He was a very good bun at the vets and the vet nurses think he is a cutie and very well behaved so all nice things this week hopefully :)

Thank you from me and Ferg for all the advice and vibes - hopefully this is the last of it! :) xx

He's home!!!! I am so happy - he's done some binkies round my/his/our bed and done 8 poos and is nibbling hay and some chamomile harvest stuff already! AND I've been allowed a quick stroke :love:

He was a very good bun at the vets and the vet nurses think he is a cutie and very well behaved so all nice things this week hopefully :)

Thank you from me and Ferg for all the advice and vibes - hopefully this is the last of it! :) xx

Hey, it's good that he's popular at the vets ;)

But seriously, marvellous update about the poos and binkies :D:D xxx

When I read this my heart danced with joy. It is always nice when a dedicated owner, rabbit saavy vet, and a determined bunny get a positive result.
A cute, well-behaved fella--sounds like a real catch to me!! Better keep an eye on those nurses so they don't try to steal your little man!!

Back