• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Starbuck is VERY excited!! - Update post 9 - advice please

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Hello,

Well I am only in the very opening phase of bonding Starbuck and Fay - but just would like a little bit of advice please!

Starbuck and Fay are in separate cages about a foot and a half apart opposite each other. Fay is completely relaxed, unphased by Starbuck, unless he goes right up to her cage in which case she likes to give him a right good sniff. Not worried about her at all.

Starbuck on the other hand when he comes out of his cage, his extremely excited by her, he goes up on hind quarters as if to try to get in to her cage and a couple of times has managed to jump on top of her cage!! (We quickly lift him back down!).

We have one of those soft fluffy bed things from P@H, we were cuddling him in it, then decided to do the same with her - she was fine with his scent on it, but when we gave it back to him, he erm, started to hump it - totally excited by her smell.

He seems to be quite frustrated that he cant actually get to her but we are trying to do the bond ever so slowly. We swapped their litter trays over last night and both were fine with this.

(Tonight we plan to swap them into each others cages.)

Is Starbuck's behaviour a good sign or anything to be concerned about?

Thank you

Helen

Last edited:
We were going to swap them into each others cages tonight and then try them in a small area together in the kitchen tomorrow night.

I am just wondering whether we should move this forward and do it sooner as he does seem to find it frustrating not being able to be with her.

I just dont want to rush it though. He is not showing any signs of aggression, apart from the odd foot stamp.

Helen as long as you can be with them for the next few days if necessary I would just go for it, you are never going to know otherwise as all rabbits are different. Talking from a complete novice's standpoint when it comes to bonding, I do wonder whether if you let Starbuck's frustration build it might make matters worse. Just make sure you have something to protect you if you need to break up a fight. Let me know how it goes xx

Helen as long as you can be with them for the next few days if necessary I would just go for it, you are never going to know otherwise as all rabbits are different. Talking from a complete novice's standpoint when it comes to bonding, I do wonder whether if you let Starbuck's frustration build it might make matters worse. Just make sure you have something to protect you if you need to break up a fight. Let me know how it goes xx

Yes thats what I was wondering. I cant be with them solidly but I do have all this evening and most of tomorrow to be with them, also Weds most of the day. I can even sleep with them if needs be.

If all seems to have gone well am I ok to leave them for an hour and pop out, or should I separate them? (I'll see how it goes first I guess).

Thanks for the advice.

If all seems to have gone well am I ok to leave them for an hour and pop out, or should I separate them? (I'll see how it goes first I guess).
QUOTE]

I think you will be able to judge that better once you have introduced them. Its always best not to seperate them once they are together (unless they are constantly fighting of course) otherwise you might have to start all over again. Good Luck

QUOTE]

I think you will be able to judge that better once you have introduced them. Its always best not to seperate them once they are together (unless they are constantly fighting of course) otherwise you might have to start all over again. Good Luck

Thanks Alison. I will wait til Colin gets home (I am too scared to try by myself first) then put them together and see how it goes. I will update later on!!

Update:

We decided to try Starbuck and Fay together tonight in the hallway (as a neutral enclosed space).

For the first 5-10 mins all was fine - not much interest in each other and ate a little in each other's company.

Then Starbuck caught wind of Fay and kept trying to hump her. Our hallway is laminated though, so everytime he tried to mount her she would scuttle away and he would try to catch up and they would both end up sliding about. (Not sure if this was a good or a bad thing).

He kept chasing and humping her but she kept scuttling off and every 5 mins or so they would flop or sit together and catch their breath, and sniff each other, quite content to be next to each other. But then it would happen again and towards the end of half an hour Starbuck tried to mount Fay but she pulled a big chunk of his fur out.

At this point I sprayed them with water, and then we decided half hour was ok for a first time and have taken them back to their room and separated them.

I am not sure now what is best - do the same again tomorrow night (as per slow bonding method) or put them back together again and stay with them (as per quick method). Only thing is I have to pop out for an hour and a half tomorrow afternoon and wouldnt be able to stay with them - apart from that I can be with them constantly. Or I could try the taking them out in the car thing?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Helen

I wouldn't keep putting them together and then splitting them as it could make them frustrated and make bonding harder. What you've described sounds fairly normal and very promising - the chasing/mounting etc will settle far quicker if you leave them together and let them sort out their pecking order. :):) Choose a time when you can be with them for at least the first 24 hrs & then don't split unless there is locked on fighting.

your doing fine

Hi Helen
You’re doing fine and everything you’re describing is normal. I agree 100% with KarenM. Everything they are doing is normal and you being worried is normal too. I will give you a call tonight and see how things are going.
TC x

I wouldn't keep putting them together and then splitting them as it could make them frustrated and make bonding harder. What you've described sounds fairly normal and very promising - the chasing/mounting etc will settle far quicker if you leave them together and let them sort out their pecking order. :):) Choose a time when you can be with them for at least the first 24 hrs & then don't split unless there is locked on fighting.

does thumbs up in agreement sign:D

Helen I think KarenM is right, and I would take them out in the car together when you go (if you can) as this will also help the bonding process as they will look to each other for comfort as they probably won't like it all that much!

Thanks everyone for the advice! I think we are going to have to proceed as Fay has learnt how to get round her barrier and also how to leap over her cage!!

I am worried that one of them will do themselves a mischief if I leave them any longer so am going to give it a go again today.

Will post back later with an update if I can leave them be for 2 minutes!!

They've been together in the same space since 12.30ish. Lots of chasing, mounting and a bit of fur pulling. Sometimes it gets very heated - not really locked on fighting but turning and jumping at each other, maybe a bit of nipping.

So I took them for a 40 minute drive which seemed to help. Since then they have been in the same place again and sort of 5 minutes of chilling out and flopping then 5 minutes of fighting again.

Both have only had little nibbles at their food.

Is this still going ok? :?

They just had full on locked on fighting... :cry::cry:
I hurt my foot while trying to get to them cos I was in such a panic. So Ive had to separate them. Currently got Starbuck here with me.

Im not sure what to do now. Am wondering if it might be worth paying for the "professionals" to do it?

Oh I'm sorry. Its not easy is it. I have a brother and sister who had to be seperated for neutering, we have had 2 attempts, over many months, at reuniting them, once at home and once with a lady who's experienced in bonding - sadly when all seemed to be going well a fight broke out and it was obvious neither was going to back down :( luckily nobun was hurt. Hope you find a way to make it work for your two.

Yes I've had at least one offer so am seriously considering it. It might be less stressful for the bunnies as well to have someone who is confident at doing it.

Starbuck was neutered quite a while ago I think. He was rescued in July and I think neutered around then too.

Back