• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

squishy poos, help

this is ther first time ive had trouble with squishy poos and i need some advice. when buzz came out of his hutch this morning there was no sign of any problems, then sometime in the next 3 hours he has done some rather squishy poos, like cant hold any shape sort of consistency. he has also done a normal amount of normal poos. he seems completely normal in himself, has eaten hay and normal food this morning as well as a little greens (was going to give him some more when i saw the poos). he has been drinking fine. ive put some probiotic in his food. i cant feel anything wrong with his tummy. is there anything else i should be doing?

What sort of dried feed does he have? If its a cereal mix it may be to high in carbohydrate. If its Pellet feed then he may be having too much of it (Excel is particularly likely to cause squishy poo)

As long as he is a good hay eater I'd just feed him hay for 24 hours. Probiotic in his water is good too. Then when you re-introduce the pellet feed just give half the usual amount. Hopefully once he ups his fibre intake his poo will go back to normal.

Janex

thanks jane! it worked, we have had 2 days now of ok poos with probiotic and hay, and he has been allowed a little basil today and a little food, im hoping he will still be fine with that.
at the moment he has rabbit royale, but i have a small bag of science selective to put him onto to see if he likes it, should i wait a while for his tummy to settle before i change? he was on the rabbit royale when i got him and has been on it about 6 months with no trouble. what could have caused it, so i dont let it happen again, and how long should he have probiotic, he has had some today, but can i stop now he has settled again?

whiskyscruffles said:
thanks jane! it worked, we have had 2 days now of ok poos with probiotic and hay, and he has been allowed a little basil today and a little food, im hoping he will still be fine with that.
at the moment he has rabbit royale, but i have a small bag of science selective to put him onto to see if he likes it, should i wait a while for his tummy to settle before i change? he was on the rabbit royale when i got him and has been on it about 6 months with no trouble. what could have caused it, so i dont let it happen again, and how long should he have probiotic, he has had some today, but can i stop now he has settled again?

I would give him about 10 SS pellets at first, dont bother with the RR as it really is not an ideal food and if he has had squishy poo it is likely that being a bit of a greedy boy with the RR was the cause. Squishy poo is usually caused by a diet lacking in fibre and too high in carbohydrate. I think the RR has a fare amount of molases in it.... :?
You can gradually increase the amount of SS you feed until he gets a 'normal' portion for his size.
I'd keep him on the probiotics whilst you are introducing the SS and stick to just one type of Veg (avoiding carrots) whilst doing the change too. Some Blackberry leaves would be OK to feed him during this time.

Janex

I'm really glad i spotted this thread as darcy has been doing squishy poos lately too. I use Excel but am going to change over to science selective (gradually). fingers crossed xx

SS is good stuff, the buns really seem to like it. My lot were on it but feeding 25 SS just got too expensive so I switched A & P which they turned their noses up at initially but are ok with it now. The five foster buns I have now were on cheap mix and I tried to wean them onto A & P but they wouldn't have it - SS on the other hand has had the paw up all round!

Back