• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Speed dating arranged U/d Progress! (photos p33)

Oh my gosh she is soooo tiny! She looks like a little toy bunny :D This is her stretched out (about half the length of Barney)

Oh my gosh she is soooo tiny! She looks like a little toy bunny :D This is her stretched out (about half the length of Barney)

She's lovely. Definitely some Nethie in her as she looks like my Will (who incidentally is half the size of his partner Nancy)

Hope the bonding is going well.:thumb:

Ivy's settling in well thanks, just into everything at the moment as it's all new, she likes to knock things over :roll:

Her and Barney are grooming each other a lot, flopping and cuddling up together, but there's still quite a bit of chasing going on, although the humping has stopped. It's usually because Barney tries to sniff her bum, she doesn't like this and runs off and he follows. Norty Barney :lol:

I'm a bit lost at the moment... Barney and Ivy have just had their first proper scrap, it was a chase that got out of hand. No one was hurt but there was quite a lot of fur pulled out :(

I've put them in their carrier and took them for a drive, now they're home they've curled up together and Ivy is licking Barney's ears . As soon as the fight stopped they were washing their faces and stretching out near each other, so they didn't seem upset or traumatised.

They seem to alternate between cuddling up, flopping and grooming each other, and chasing and nipping each others' bums :shock: I don't really know much about bonding, is this promising or worrying?

It's not a great sign, but not awful either. It's really important they're never unsupervised until the bond has stabilised. It is good that they've settled after the drive, but really important (for the bond as well as themselves)that they don't attack each other again. Could a local rescue bond them for you on neutral territory? :?

Could you reduce their area slightly and neutralise it first? Then gradually increase once there has been no agro for at LEAST 48 hours?

I really hope their bond works out.

They seem to have calmed down, the chasing is still happening but not as much, and not turning into a scuffle now.

It's usually when Barney has his 'mad' hour at 10-11pm and he races around grunting and honking; I don't think Ivy understands that he's being silly so she flinches away from him when he runs past, and he notices this and reacts by chasing her off :roll:

I've really struggled to get a neutral area as Barney goes in every room in the house bar one, and that room has the computer and is full of wires so obviously can't do it in there. I've confined them to one room and neutralised it as best I can - removed his toys and bought new ones, steam cleaned everything, washed blankets. I'm going to persevere as long as they're mostly getting on, if I see another scrap though I think I will have to separate and try to get a boarding/rescue place to bond them.

They seem to have calmed down, the chasing is still happening but not as much, and not turning into a scuffle now.

It's usually when Barney has his 'mad' hour at 10-11pm and he races around grunting and honking; I don't think Ivy understands that he's being silly so she flinches away from him when he runs past, and he notices this and reacts by chasing her off :roll:

I've really struggled to get a neutral area as Barney goes in every room in the house bar one, and that room has the computer and is full of wires so obviously can't do it in there. I've confined them to one room and neutralised it as best I can - removed his toys and bought new ones, steam cleaned everything, washed blankets. I'm going to persevere as long as they're mostly getting on, if I see another scrap though I think I will have to separate and try to get a boarding/rescue place to bond them.

What about a puppy pen?
I am too bonding in non-neutral territory as both rabbits have been living in my bedroom side by side. As it's not neutral I am reluctant to increase space quickly and have Hershel and Maggie in a puppy pen which is 2x1 panels (equivalent to 4x2ft). Once I am happy with them I will increase to 2x2 (4x4ft) and then to allow them to free range over the space of 1-2 weeks.

Edit: Hershel is a Mini Lop and Maggie is a very small Dwarf Lop (about same size as Hershel) so you might need a larger pen depending on rabbit breed.

What about a puppy pen?
I am too bonding in non-neutral territory as both rabbits have been living in my bedroom side by side. As it's not neutral I am reluctant to increase space quickly and have Hershel and Maggie in a puppy pen which is 2x1 panels (equivalent to 4x2ft). Once I am happy with them I will increase to 2x2 (4x4ft) and then to allow them to free range over the space of 1-2 weeks.

Edit: Hershel is a Mini Lop and Maggie is a very small Dwarf Lop (about same size as Hershel) so you might need a larger pen depending on rabbit breed.

I have tried a pen over the last few days, but there were too many escapes (They both just kept jumping over the top, even tiny Ivy :shock:) So I've kept them in one room and the chasing is definitely dying down, and there's been no more fighting thankfully.

I hope Herschel and Maggie are getting along :)

I have tried a pen over the last few days, but there were too many escapes (They both just kept jumping over the top, even tiny Ivy :shock:) So I've kept them in one room and the chasing is definitely dying down, and there's been no more fighting thankfully.

I hope Herschel and Maggie are getting along :)

Oh that's such a shame. My pen is about 4ft tall so Hershel and Maggie can't jump out. Although they do try when I go to clean the litter tray and feed them. Bonding is currently progressing okay, the eat together, sit in the litter tray, snuggle and groom each other as well. There is still the odd squabble and humping session which I think it's because they are a bit bored and tripping over each other so I am going to expand the pen tonight and see how they go.

Phew, finally they're settling down! We've had no fighting today and they've been all loved up :love:

(Little and large :lol:)

Back