• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying rabbit.

I feel ill and really upset. Have put the collar on and she's hating it and how does she eat? The vet said I had to put it on as she'd damage her wound and mentioned that her rabbit had torn out the stitches as she hadn't worn one. I put it on as she kept going down near the area i imagine the wound is (not had a look yet). I want to take it off but feel I'd have to put back on and just upset her over again. Can't believe I'm crying about this now. She was so good before, eating, drinking and doing poos and now she's lifting her head up and down, obviously trying to remove.
Has anyone used one recently that can set my mind at ease.
Sorry for being a pain in the bum, first ever rabbit and the collar on my dog was so easy I just thought this would be similar.

Forgot to say I have matacalm home and to start it tomorrow.

My bunny was recently spayed and she had to have a collar as she pulled all her stitches out - inside and out - 2 days after her spay. She had her collar for a week but I took it off every evening and supervised her having free time. She quickly got used to it and even worked out how to use the collar as a scoop to eat her pellets. She healed very quickly and the stitches came out after 7 days.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

MightyMax and Nix, very many thanks for those words. I took collar off this morning and she had wee groom of chest paws but then headed to underside so had a few words with her! Wrapped in a blanket to give her medicine which was.......... fun! The 1st syringe went everywhere and hopefully the 2nd went into her mouth. Every time she goes near the wound area I move her head away, usually this goes on about 5 times then she rips bedding apart in a wee fit of temper! It's a very happy household just now.:shock: I haven't had a chance to see the wound as she's very suspicious if I go near her just now. I'm out to work about 11.30am so wee prayers for me and Hoppity at about 11.28 for collar on routine. ;)

Collar on as she was just constantly going to the wound area. The wee soul is grooming herself or attempting to, her front paws are rubbing collar and she's licking the collar inside.

Last edited:
Not long back from vet for Hoppity's check up. She's recovering well, eating and pooing as normal and wound is healing well but I've obviously allowed her to lick the area too much as it's quite red. I honestly thought I'd been careful and was making sure that licking was stopped when she went near her tummy but I obviously wasn't careful enough. I was told to put thin layer of sudacreme on when I put her collar on tonight to soothe it. Back on Monday and hopefully it's all clear and she can go back to her outside home where she's much happier.
So far she's given me a bruised eye when I was head butted trying to see her wound, bitten a few fingers and good bite on my calf when I was trying to clean the cage. She is very, very frustrated at being so confined I think!

Not long back from vet for Hoppity's check up. She's recovering well, eating and pooing as normal and wound is healing well but I've obviously allowed her to lick the area too much as it's quite red. I honestly thought I'd been careful and was making sure that licking was stopped when she went near her tummy but I obviously wasn't careful enough. I was told to put thin layer of sudacreme on when I put her collar on tonight to soothe it. Back on Monday and hopefully it's all clear and she can go back to her outside home where she's much happier.
So far she's given me a bruised eye when I was head butted trying to see her wound, bitten a few fingers and good bite on my calf when I was trying to clean the cage. She is very, very frustrated at being so confined I think!

Ouch! Even my little psycho Slipper has never inflicted that much damage on me in one attack! Rabbit bites are the worst IMO (and I've been bitten by a fair few animals!) so you have my greatest sympathy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarah, so glad someone else has a psycho as everyone I speak has lovely calm rabbits. Saw a couple at the vets today who had 2 rabbits sitting nicely in their box while Hoppity was attempting to chew through the bars and telepathically signalling "you're dead when we get home." :shock:
The sudocreme tummy rub was as much fun as I thought it was going to be!!

Sarah, so glad someone else has a psycho as everyone I speak has lovely calm rabbits. Saw a couple at the vets today who had 2 rabbits sitting nicely in their box while Hoppity was attempting to chew through the bars and telepathically signalling "you're dead when we get home." :shock:
The sudocreme tummy rub was as much fun as I thought it was going to be!!

Oh dear, I dread to think what Slipper would do if I had to rub his tummy! :shock: he bites me just for brushing him so......

All my others are perfect little angels, but Slipper is a super intelligent, diva bunny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Hoppity can't come out cage (which is big) and go back to her outside home tomorrow (fingers crossed it'll be last check up) we may kill each other. She is soooooooooooooo bored, she has toys, we made a square run in room for her to get out and stretch legs but not enough. As we speak she is ripping up everything in cage and throwing it around as she's been doing most of the evening, it looks like the aftermath of an earthquake! It's got a metal base but got to give her 10 out of 10 for effort as she tries to tunnel her way out. Just looked and it reminds me of the images from films where prison inmates protest in their cells by pushing everything in the cell against the door and throw their poo about. :shock:
To put the tin hat on the situation, I'm ready to go to bed so have to put lampshade on her. Think I'll have a whisky first.

Hello, I've found good rabbit vet, recommended, for my rabbit (yes she's mine now, chipped to prove it!) to be spayed but I'm wondering about aftercare. Hoppity is an outdoor rabbit and I'm not sure how best to allow her to recuperate after the op'. Do I put her back into hutch when we get home or do I bring her indoors for the night? (she's never been a house rabbit.)
I am planning it for June as hopefully the weather will be nicer and we can both sit in the garden and I can keep an eye on her during recuperation period. She is an incredibly active rabbit, leaping and twisting is definitely her favourite activity, oh and hiding in her tunnel when it's time to go back into the hutch, so want to be sure she won't hurt herself post-op'.

Haha that's so cute man. I love the name Hoppity.:love:

Haha that's so cute man. I love the name Hoppity.:love:

It's a good name isn't it. (I claim it as my choice but she was really named by the wee girl who had her before me! :oops:)

Anyway, great news, Hoppity is back in her own home, woo hoo. :p Vet was happy with her but thought it wouldn't hurt for another night indoors until I said she hadn't been eating her c poo (can never remember that word.) then she said that was more important. I brought her home, took her out back and she flew into the hutch which she must have thought had been burgled as I'd emptied it and thoroughly cleaned! Filled it up as she sat wedged into furthest away corner watching me suspiciously. Left her alone and she ate some grass and dandelions then went to her bedroom and stayed there for a few hours. God bless her i really believe she was shattered, neither of us slept well over the past week. I also think that as her bedroom has no windows, only entrance a wee archway and full of hay she felt nice and secure in the dark and enclosed area. I'm just in from the back garden where we both had a nice wee chat and I had my cuppa and she had raspberry leaves.

We're both very happy bunnies.

Many thanks to all on here who helped, gave advice and generally calmed me when I was losing it! :love: Don't get too relaxed though......... I'll be looking to adopt her a wee pal soon, so bonding questions and hysterical posting will continue.

Back