• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spayed rabbit behaving strangely!

UrbanBunny

Warren Scout
Hello!

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the following - I don't think there is any medical issue (teeth are fine, she's eating fine, behaviour is normal for most of the day). I have two well bonded bunnies, both neutered/spayed respectively.

Hilary, the bunny behaving strangely, has always been the dominant and more active/naughty one. Anyway, the for the past two days she has been behaving a bit strangely when free ranging in the afternoon. She hops into my bedroom honking (kind of buzzy/wheezy honking), gets onto the bed and starts digging at my sheets, pushing the duvet away from her etc etc, pausing only to look around, very alert. This will go on for about 15 minutes, rearranging my bed, before she hops away honking again. Her tail is a bit raised but she's not had any accidents/weeing so it's as if she's angry but she'll let me touch her and isn't showing me any aggression.

Nothing has changed in their environment and she'll flop in the hallway in between these episodes or go and eat some hay, so she's not frantic all of the time - but it's very odd!

Basil is totally confused too as he thinks the bed is the ultimate flop zone and H is disturbing his peace a bit (not that he'd dare do anything about it). :lol:

How long ago was she spayed? I've read that a few weeks after spaying/neutering rabbits will still have some hormones in their system (obviously they wont magically disappear lol) and may act strange, or act as though they haven't even been spayed/neutered. The strange behaviour should stop soon, if you're really concerned, or if it doesn't perhaps give your vets a ring and mention it? :)

Back