• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spay went well, UD post 30

My girls really have me a fright after their spay as they refused everything aswell. They were really not happy about the whole experience! I had to really bother them with waving food around their mouths to get them to start eating again. They would go to move it away in anger and then accidentally start eating it. Hay and dandelion leaves were the easiest to do that with! I would put their water bottles to their mouth aswell and the same happened again, they would try and angrily move it away with their mouth and then forget and start drinking. When I have had a poorly bunny before I got a little ramekin filled with water and lifted it to her mouth to take a drink from. I repeated all this little and often with them all and it seems to work in helping them get back to normal.

You may have tried all that already but thought I would post incase. Hope they are both feeling better in the morning xxx

My girls really have me a fright after their spay as they refused everything aswell. They were really not happy about the whole experience! I had to really bother them with waving food around their mouths to get them to start eating again. They would go to move it away in anger and then accidentally start eating it. Hay and dandelion leaves were the easiest to do that with! I would put their water bottles to their mouth aswell and the same happened again, they would try and angrily move it away with their mouth and then forget and start drinking. When I have had a poorly bunny before I got a little ramekin filled with water and lifted it to her mouth to take a drink from. I repeated all this little and often with them all and it seems to work in helping them get back to normal.

You may have tried all that already but thought I would post incase. Hope they are both feeling better in the morning xxx

Have been trying to hand feed them both by waving tasty treats under their noses one is taking it and eating it the other is just turning away from me. They have their usual bottle and a dish of water, the one who is eating has drunk a good amount of water from the bowl, the other bun has had a few sips but that is all. The one who is eating seems tired but the other one seems to be out of it totally, doesn't even react when I stroke her!

Does this sound normal? Have had a few poos out of the one who is more awake but nothing from the other one!?!

As you can probably tell from the time it looks like I am pulling an all nighter until I know they are both eating!

How are they both doing this morning? I hope you managed to get some sleep!

I would definitely 100% call up and insist on pain relief today, regardless of how they may be acting its a major operation and they will definitely be in pain for longer than 24 hours

Sending munching vibes for Fidget and Fudge. I hope they're ok this morning and that you managed to get some sleep Kat x

buttons was very quiet and didnt eat much for about 3 days, she is normally a little piggy. we just kept her dosed up where we could and made sure her water/food was next to her so she didnt have to move too much

hope they feel better this morning :D

They should have given you pain relief, they will definitely need it today and unfortunately the fact they didn't shows they are not rabbit-savvy vets IMO (and I don't say this lightly, this is exactly what happened to me with Samantha and Truffles when I knew no better and I moved to another vet after). Samantha had a bad time after her spay and was very much as you describe. It took a good 3 days before she was feeling better,and in the meantime I had limited success with herbs and willow (sorry, I know you can't get willow at the moment but bramble leaves would be just as tasty). Dh made a few emergency trips to Tesco for basil! She wasn't drinking so I spritzed the leaves with water. Folks here said as long as she was getting something in her, however small the amount, she wouldn't go into stasis, but it was a worrying time and I feel for you. With the Conti's spays at a very rabbit-savvy vet who had done hundreds of neuters for a rabbit rescue, it was a much better experience. I consider the lack of pain relief the main problem with my first lot, though I did take them back the next day and they got another injection.
Hope they (and you!) haven't had too bad a night and are eating a bit more this morning.

Help please, any advice?

One rabbit has eaten 3 basil leaves and 1 bit of carrot and the other bun hasn't eaten anything and is still very sleepy ( this rabbit was spayed first). Should I be worried? No poops and no water intake yet either.

They got home at 4.30, should they be doing more by now?

I was sent home with Recovery food, when should I use it? How long should I just leave them to get on with it? Getting really worried now :shock:

They mostly want to rest, be quiet the first day and night. Today you should see an improvement and they will start to nibble at things like grass, spring greens. This is quite normal. Ive had many girls spayed, just don't stress them out any further. Hope they are feeling a little better today.

Hope some of the posts from experienced owners have reassured you. Keeping up vibes for your girls. xx

They most definitely need ongoing pain relief. It is essential for a spay.

Susie bun is completely correct, they do recover at different rates. I have had trios done on two separate occasions and both times there was one bunny who was a good couple of days behind the other two in recovering.

Mine have always had an injection of vetergesic and metacam straight after the op (vetergesic is the one that can make them sleepy). Vetergesic is strong but short lasting, metacam is the one which lasts up to 24 hours. They have stayed on metacam (by mouth) for several days after the op just to be sure that any pain is being managed.

Sending lots of vibes for your girls. I know how worrying it is. xx

Thanks for all the advice and vibes. Didn't go to bed till 4 when I just couldn't stay awake any longer and then up at 7 ( wonder who looks like she should be part of the walking dead cast :shock: )

Fudge is fine eating anything offered and throwing food bowl around. Fidget still seems out of it although much more awake once we got to the vets, so has been admitted to the vets, have just gotten back from dropping treats and forage off for her.

So looks like it's another day of waiting for the phone to ring and trying not to fall asleep!

Hope Fidget feel better soon. Did they admit her for fluid treatment? Continuing vibes for Fudge too. The vet didn't suggest keeping Fudge in as company for her sister as they are bonded? Some vets do this, but others don'e as it makes it more difficult to monitor the poorly bun's output.

Thinking of you at this anxious time! xx

Hope Fidget feel better soon. Did they admit her for fluid treatment? Continuing vibes for Fudge too. The vet didn't suggest keeping Fudge in as company for her sister as they are bonded? Some vets do this, but others don'e as it makes it more difficult to monitor the poorly bun's output.

Thinking of you at this anxious time! xx

Yes fluid treatment although vet said her colour was still good, a gut stimulant and syringe feeding. I did ask vet about leaving them both but he was concerned about monitoring output but as we are only 5mins from the vets he said he would ring if Fidget was anxious without her sister and I could pop back with Fudge.

Fudge is currently playing on the "I've had an operation" and is eating me out of house and home of basil, bramble leaves, plantain, dandelion leaves, Timothy hay and small bits of carrot and Turing her nose up at her usual food but at least she is eating and drinking and if she wants to be a princess about it that's fine :lol:

Sorry this is the first chance I have had to update people.

Fudge is fine and almost back to her usual self.

Fidget I picked up from the vets at 6pm, she had been syringe feed, given Metacam. Was told that she still hadn't eaten much, had nibbled on a piece of carrot and eaten a few dandelion leaves which I had rushed home to pick for her after she was admitted. Vet said she was very active and fighting back when being syringed so he was happy for her to come home tonight rather than staying in.

Since being home she has eaten some carrot, picked through her muesli, and tried a bit of hay. Has managed several wees and is producing a some poos all be it that they are very small for her. I'm hoping she has turned the corner now but will keep an eye on her. Have to give her Metacam once a day for a week and give a gut stimulant twice a day for 4 days, all by syringe which was fun tonight :shock: not sure how much she got but OH got covered :oops:

Thanks for all your vibes and good advice along the way. Today has been one of the worst I have ever had as when we hadn't heard from the vet by 4pm OH and myself had decided that it meant she wasn't coming home and I got myself into a right state.

Oh, that is good news :) Right Fudge, tell your sister to take advantage of the treats and eat up!

Hope you get a better nights sleep tonight Kat x

Been reading your post as my girls getting done next week. What a worrying time for you and I am now petrified! Hope she recovers super quick now she's home xxx

Been reading your post as my girls getting done next week. What a worrying time for you and I am now petrified! Hope she recovers super quick now she's home xxx

Fidget is a totally different rabbit now that she is home again, please don't let my experience worry you I am sure your rabbit will be fine.

Oh, that is good news :) Right Fudge, tell your sister to take advantage of the treats and eat up!

Hope you get a better nights sleep tonight Kat x

They must have read your post as they have both spent the evening begging for more basil, parsley and mint and also the dried clover and plantain mix I buy, I add some to their bowl turn my back and it's gone. I must spend some time tomorrow trimming up more bramble leaves for them as they have eaten all the ones I had ready for them :shock: They are hardly touching their normal food! In fact I think they have a healthier diet with all these "treats" except maybe for the carrot they are getting:oops:

Back