• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

5 month old does

Hi everyone
Looking for some help with my 2 5and a half month girls.
They are not litter mates but have been together since they were tiny and have been inseparable since... until Wednesday morning.
The hormones have kicked in and they seem to hate each other. They have started circling each other and biting. Although this only lasts a few seconds. It’s not nice to watch and both have clumps of hair in their mouths.
Both have stopped using litter tray and are spraying and dropping poo everywhere to mark territory, also chinning everything in sight.
I have tried various vets and can’t get an appointment for spay for 3 weeks as they’re all very busy after lockdown.
I have given them a bigger area to roam in the hope this helps ( normally have 1 room) I know I should try not to separate them as bonding again would be more difficult.
I am keeping a close eye on them, and providing separate water, hay and food bowl, especially after hearing one let out a big squeal this afternoon during a tornado fight. I discovered which one it was by the colour of hair on the floor and the fact she is now running away whenever the other comes near😭.
Any advice or tips to help keep both bunnies happy in the next 3 weeks would be appreciated ☺️ it’s breaking my heart seeing them both on edge and not flopped together as they usually are.

I am afraid you will have to separate them to avoid them injuring one another straightaway. Also I would check you have got 2 Does and not Bucks as they are behaving more like Bucks. Bucks will try to castrate one another so please keep them separate. A fight will also hamper any success of a future re-bond. This happens all the time once Rabbits reach puberty.

Thanks for your reply. I had the vet check again when they had vaccinations and she was confident that they were both females. I will check again though.

I would separate them before the bond completely breaks down and is irretrievable. You can swap areas, have a mesh divider, etc - just don't let the relationship deteriorate further. Rebonding a few weeks after neutering will be a better option than keeping them together now and risking a forever fallout.

As T&B and shimmer have said
Separate with a divider for now to prevent any serious injuries and total relationship break down.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Back