• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay cage rest time.

Scewae

New Kit
How long is it best to keep a doe on cage rest after a spay? She’s a big girl and frequently binkies really high when she free roams.
Thank you.

I'm trying to remember how long Sophie had cage rest when she was spayed, but this was 10 years ago, so I might be wrong, but I think it was only a few days. If you're not sure, though, I think the best person to ask would be the vet. I think the main thing is to keep her from jumping, so if she stays calm while she's out of her cage, I don't really see a problem letting her out of it. She might not feel like binkying right now. Hopefully someone else will have a better answer for you, but I wanted to reply since nobody had responded yet. I'm sending your girl lots of vibes for her recovery, though. :love:

Tui didn't move much for the first 24 hours or so, but then she was able to move around quite normally. She lives in a shed with attached outside accommodation, so my vet advised that we kept her and her partner in the shed until she had her post-spay check, which I think was after 3 days. After that she was allowed to go outside.

I hope your Doe's spay goes well and that she recovers quickly. Main issue in the first day or so, is to make sure that she has sufficient pain relief and is eating properly.

Thank you, she bounced back extremely quickly and was off cage rest by 48 hours. I spoke to my vet who advised I could let her out as she was trying to jump out when ever my son came into the room. She loves him and gets very excited whenever she see him. Her little husbun was neutered at the same time so hoping in 6 weeks time they can both go together.

Frankly, I kept him in a cage for the first 24 hours, not letting him exercise. I let him exercise at very short intervals on the second day and the third day. Obviously, it is necessary to be careful for the first 2-3 days, he can jump or run to high places, he also has pain. Getting plenty of rest is more important.

Thank you, she bounced back extremely quickly and was off cage rest by 48 hours. I spoke to my vet who advised I could let her out as she was trying to jump out when ever my son came into the room. She loves him and gets very excited whenever she see him. Her little husbun was neutered at the same time so hoping in 6 weeks time they can both go together.
That's great that she bounced back so quickly! Sounds like she had an easy recovery. How sweet that she gets so excited when she sees your son. Good luck bonding her and her little husbun in a couple of weeks. I hope it'll go well!

Thank you, it was such a relief to see them both recover so quickly. I was absolutely dreading them having their op.
She’s a very funny doe, she knows her name, especially when you call her when she’s up to no good, she flings her giant lop ears around like a child in a huff.

Thank you, it was such a relief to see them both recover so quickly. I was absolutely dreading them having their op.
She’s a very funny doe, she knows her name, especially when you call her when she’s up to no good, she flings her giant lop ears around like a child in a huff.
Aww, that sounds really cute. :lol:

Back