• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Shedding in May

Baby2017

New Kit
Hi, how long will shedding go on for?
So my girl bun (9 months) starting shedding about 3 / 4 weeks ago and she’s still going strong! It’s mostly from her butt now. They’re like a puff of hair every time she moves about. I’m giving the room a good hoover every day and brush twice a day.
Will spring time be the biggest shed or is it just because it’s her first?
Any tips on how to keep on top of it? Are those furminator brushes any good?

I’ve had boys before but they were outside bunnies so never noticed as much.

Last edited:
I would just keep combing out any loose fur. Combs get down to the skin and hair roots far better than brushes, so will also help to prevent matting. Combing or stroking through the fur the 'wrong' way outside in a bit of wind will also help to remove a bit of the loose fur. There are usually 2 moults a year, but it does depend very much on the weather / temperature as to how dramatic the moult is. The colder winter we had may account for a bigger moult this Spring, but it may also be her normal. I wouldn't expect it to go on for much longer, but just keep removing any loose fur as you don't want her or any partner buns to ingest it while grooming her.

I've not used a furminator. Rabbits have very thin skin, so I would be wary of using anything that may cause damage. I use a double sided metal dog comb. The teeth have rounded tips. The wide side is rarely used, except for small matted / knotted areas or the fluffy tails of my cats & dogs. Nylon (human) combs can get a bit scratchy and don't remove fur as reliably, IME.

Hi, how long will shedding go on for?
So my girl bun (9 months) starting shedding about 3 / 4 weeks ago and she’s still going strong! It’s mostly from her butt now. They’re like a puff of hair every time she moves about. I’m giving the room a good hoover every day and brush twice a day.
Will spring time be the biggest shed or is it just because it’s her first?
Any tips on how to keep on top of it? Are those furminator brushes any good?

I’ve had boys before but they were outside bunnies so never noticed as much.

Moults can vary according to time of year, type of coat, overall health of Rabbit, neutering (heavy moults often occur soon after neutering)

As your Rabbit could still be growing then it might be a good idea to slightly increase the protein content in her diet, especially if she’s a very ‘fluffy’ breed type like a double maned lionhead, a cashmere or an angora. Skeletal growth and heavy moults use up a high proportion of dietary protein.

A pellet feed for baby/growing/breeding Rabbits has a higher protein content than ordinary adult Rabbit pellet feed

Dry food nutritional value comparison info :

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

Readigrass has a high protein content.

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/readigrass.html

Any dietary changes must be gradual, and don’t increase the protein too much or the Rabbit is likely to produce excess cecotrophs.

Shimmer has given good advice re grooming. Please do NOT use a furminator, they can do serious damage to a Rabbit’s skin

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...TOR-users-U-D-19-10-2012&highlight=Furminator

Back