• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hocks :(

Kezzalou31

New Kit
I have recently rescued rex rabbit and noticed today she has the start of sore hocks. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow but is there anything I can do tonight to make her more comfy? Also she is an indoors rabbit with her own enclosure (with her husbun) and has vinyl flooring down in the enclosure (she does have access to the downstairs of the house all day which is laminate flooring and rugs) is this type of flooring ok or should i go down the fleece blanket route to keep it nice and soft for her? Many thanks

I have recently rescued rex rabbit and noticed today she has the start of sore hocks. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow but is there anything I can do tonight to make her more comfy? Also she is an indoors rabbit with her own enclosure (with her husbun) and has vinyl flooring down in the enclosure (she does have access to the downstairs of the house all day which is laminate flooring and rugs) is this type of flooring ok or should i go down the fleece blanket route to keep it nice and soft for her? Many thanks

I have rexes, when you say the start, do you just mean a small pink patch that's visible? Because if so most rexes seem to have this, and as long as it doesn't get worse it's okay :)

Carpet isn't great for sore hocks but doesn't sound like she spends all her time on rugs so it's probably okay. Mine live on a thick layer of hay, and then wood floor and they don't seem to be getting bad.

Definitely get them looked at by your vet, as they'll be able to give them a good look (it's hard to know without seeing them), but unless they're actually inflamed/broken skin I wouldn't worry too much and I would just keep an eye on them :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Yes I believe the softer the better ie thick bed of hay, fleeces, and keeping her nails trimmed. I have never had experience of sore hocks but there are other Members who will be able to give you advice.

Thank you both. After looking again it looked like the skin was starting to break so I've got her down to the emergency vets just to check. I think I'm going to some vet bed or blankets/fleece and line th enclosure with that

As you may know Rex Rabbits are very prone to sore hocks. If they manage to get to about 1 year of age with no fur loss on the hocks then as long as they are kept on a suitable substrate they should not be too troubled by the condition. After 23+ years of keeping Rexes I have found that the best substrate is soft deep hay. Failing that (ie for a House Rabbit) then Vetbed or similar covered with cotton sheeting. Even carpet is OK if it is covered with cotton sheeting so that it is not abrasive.

It is also important to keep the toe nails trimmed short so the Rabbit places his/her feet in the correct position on the ground. The front feet need to be checked too as they can become sore, especially if sore hocks have already developed.

Most Rexes are exceptionally greedy and it can be a battle to keep them at a healthy weight. But it is important to do so as as well as other health problems caused by obesity being overweight will make sore hocks/feet worse.

There is some additional information on the following links :

https://www.hallamvets.co.uk/2018/08/06/pododermatitis-in-rabbits-sore-hocks/

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm

http://www.cunivetservice.com/docs/SoreHocks.2013.pdf

ETA- I have found this to be extremely useful to use as part of the treatment of sore hocks. Do check with your own Vet first though :)

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-...re-c-141_169/derbymed-scp-spray-200ml-p-41660

Last edited:
Thank you. I've ordered some vet bed for her at the minute she is on a picnic blanket and sheet. She was a rescue so I am not sure if she has had problems before (unknown history).

She definitely is greedy 🙈

Thank you. I've ordered some vet bed for her at the minute she is on a picnic blanket and sheet. She was a rescue so I am not sure if she has had problems before (unknown history).

She definitely is greedy ��

Perfectly normal for a Rex !! :lol:

We absolutely adore her. She has to be the friendliest rabbit I have ever had. Even the vet team tried to steal her 😂

Back