• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Hocks- Example of an 'Anti-Pressure Dressing'

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I often receive PMs asking for advice re suitable dressings for sore hocks. So I thought it might be helpful if I posted this for anyone interested.

*It is ALWAYS ESSENTIAL to consult your Vet if you have a Rabbit with sore hocks. Sometimes dressings are not appropriate and may cause more harm than good. Also, it is importnat to try to establish WHY the Rabbit has developed sore hocks *

Here is an example of an anti-pressure dressing that I use for Lady Lydia

Non-shedding cotton wool pads

007-2.jpg

Micropore Tape

017-1.jpg

Woven Stretch Bandage

015-1.jpg

Fabric Strapping

016-1.jpg

First cut a hole in the centre of 2 cotton pads

008-1.jpg

The sore area of the hock should be exposed by the hole, making a sort of corn plaster. Then cover the two pads with one pad with NO hole cut in it.

Secure pads to Rabbit's hock using micropore tape. Try to only have MINIMAL contact between fur and adhesive tape

009.jpg

Also, take care to insure that no tape cuts into the skin where the leg bends.

Then apply the woven bandage dressing and secure it using the fabric strapping

011-2.jpg

012-1.jpg

The bandage should not be too tight. It is VERY important that any dressing remains clean and dry. It should be changed at least daily, more if it becomes damp/soiled. Pay close attention that the Bun's toes dont become swollen, a sign that the bandage is too tight. Should this happen remove the dressing IMMEDIATELY and consult your Vet again before applying another one.

Please remember that this advice is from a Bunny Care-Giver, NOT a Vet/VN. It should NEVER be used without prior discussion with the Vet treating your Rabbit.

Finally, special thanks to the co-operative patient, Alfie Moon :love:

014-1.jpg

Thank you for posting this Jane.

I think its brilliant that you have taken the time out of your life to help people with this. I for one have saved a copy of the page.

The model looks very co-operative :)

Very interesting post Jane thank you - hopefully Albert wont get to that stage but I have bookmarked just in case

ps - I thought the bandages were Mr Bump ones?

Something to bear in mind for the future - thanks Jane. Just out of interest, have you ever tried VetWrap bandage as it doesn't stick to the fur? I daresay you have and the little dears manage to wriggle out of it or chew it off but thought I'd ask nevertheless.

Thanks very much for this Jane. Oberon has slightly sore hocks (only little bald patches at the moment) but I am keeping an eye on him.
If the vet agrees I shall put this into practice. :wave:

Something to bear in mind for the future - thanks Jane. Just out of interest, have you ever tried VetWrap bandage as it doesn't stick to the fur? I daresay you have and the little dears manage to wriggle out of it or chew it off but thought I'd ask nevertheless.

Yes, I have used both vetwrap and cohesive bandages. They do tend to come off and for some reason Bunnies appear to chew them more than other bandages

If Vetwrap works for others then great. It is really the DIY 'corn plaster' that is the 'active ingredient' so-to-speak.

Jane!!! I was just answering the switchboard at work at the same time as reading this, and was halfway through saying good afternoon blah blah blah when i scrolled down and saw the picture realising it was a stuffed bunny and started to laugh, then had to pretend i was coughing :oops::lol::lol: the poor bloke on the other end was really concerned too, asking if i was ok :lol: - so professional.

Anyway, thanks for doing the post, it's really clear and useful :wave:

Very helpful! Thankyou! Last summer I was paying my vet an awful lot to do this repeatedly, sore hocks under control now but this is always good to know!:wave:

How handy would this thread have been a year ago:roll::lol:

I found out by trial & error & luckily having a bun that was happy to remain flopped while I re-did it:oops:

Brill post Jane:thumb:

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to put it on a real bunny - you must have good coordination skills! :)

Wow - she must be a good girl! Flora and Parsnip always go rigid when you try to do something to them but Pea and Pod would be a nightmare :shock:. Thanks for the photos though - very helpful.

Jane, I know you’re not on this account anymore, but would it be possible to get this article updated with the pics again? Maybe a new version? I have a former RSPCA adopter needing some help and this was a great guide.

If you’re not able though, then please don’t worry.

Jane, I know you’re not on this account anymore, but would it be possible to get this article updated with the pics again? Maybe a new version? I have a former RSPCA adopter needing some help and this was a great guide.

If you’re not able though, then please don’t worry.

I am not sure if I can locate the images but I will try. I am really poorly atm though, so I cant promise anything , sorry xx

Back