• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Creams/treatment for sore hocks

dex179

Warren Scout
Morning all

I have found that Dexter has sore hocks...fortunately there are no open wounds but the hocks are pink to red in some spots. I'm just annoyed with myself that I didn't spot this sooner - the vets didn't help much either and charged me twice for not doing much when I brought him in. He's got the problem on both his hind legs and one of his front paws

I was wondering what is the best treatment that I can give to Dexter? So far I have the following set-up:
* put fleece blankets, towels, bed sheets over his carpets to reduce any friction and to give a softer floor to support his hocks
*using a cream called "vetgold" over his sores 3/4 times a day
*giving him loxicom for pain relief - this was prescribed by the vets

I give him depocillin via injections every day for his tooth abscess so he's already got anti-biotics in him to ward against infections

I am in the middle of trying to wrap his foot in vetwrap, putting a layer of his fur at the bottom to help cushion and then putting a baby sock on top. However I tried this the other day for the first time and after a few hours managed to pull off the sock and the wrap! I'm also by myself which makes it very hard to do this...

Could anyone help recommend any other creams I should be using or try some other method to help Dex get better?

Can the fur ever grow back over the damaged skin?

Thank you all:(

I have kept Rex Rabbits for 25 years so unfortunately I have had to deal with a lot of cases of sore hocks. Topical treatments I have found to be helpful are Derbymed SCP Spray https://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-...re-c-141_169/derbymed-scp-spray-200ml-p-41660 and Flamazine (this is a POM) https://www.smith-nephew.com/global/assets/pdf/products/wound/spcflamazineuk.pdf

These two are my current favourites but in the past I have used Haemorrhoid Cream ( yes I know !! ) , not the type with hydrocortisone in though. Also Sudocrem and Colloidal Silver Spray.

The fur can grow back, but it does not always do so. IME fur regrowth happens more over the winter months.

Thank you Jack's Jane, you provide valuable advice as always

I have ordered the Derbymed SCP Spray, hopefully this helps

Do you have any other suggestions on how I can help Dex get better? I also soak his hind feet in warm water with epsom salt added for a few minutes in the morning - is there any point to this?

Do you think there is any point trying to go down the route of bandaging the foot with vetwrap and his own fur? This is where I got the idea from:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sorehocks.html
I tried this once and struggled. I guess the point is to somehow protect the exposed skin with loads of his own fur - do you know if there's some cream or similar which would help the fur to stick to the sore spots?

Or do you think it's sufficient enough to soak his feet, apply the Derbymed spray and ensure the floors in his room are as soft as possible?

Thank you

Thank you Jack's Jane, you provide valuable advice as always

I have ordered the Derbymed SCP Spray, hopefully this helps

Do you have any other suggestions on how I can help Dex get better? I also soak his hind feet in warm water with epsom salt added for a few minutes in the morning - is there any point to this?

Do you think there is any point trying to go down the route of bandaging the foot with vetwrap and his own fur? This is where I got the idea from:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sorehocks.html
I tried this once and struggled. I guess the point is to somehow protect the exposed skin with loads of his own fur - do you know if there's some cream or similar which would help the fur to stick to the sore spots?

Or do you think it's sufficient enough to soak his feet, apply the Derbymed spray and ensure the floors in his room are as soft as possible?

Thank you

Some Rabbits will tolerate hock dressings, others will rip them off in seconds. If I use dressings I make an anti pressure pad, like a large corn plaster, which I secure in place with Vetwrap. The Rabbit I am currently treating will not tolerate dressings at all so I am just using Flamazine and Metacam at the moment. I don’t tend to soak his hocks in anything as IME it is of little benefit.

If your Vet would be willing to prescribe some Flamazine I would give it a try :)

I don't think soaking them is so good but that is just my opinion. My rabbit has problems with sore hock and he gets much worse if the hocks get wet, like if he is out in wet grass or if I use to much cream (when I used cream) and it got too moist.
I tried derbymed after inspector morse recommendation and I think it has helped him:D It dries quickly and isn't moist like the creams.
For my rabbit cotton sheats over vetbed has been the best surface for him:)
I have also tried bandaging but he just panicks and gets gut stasis as a result so have given up on that:(

Thank you for your replies.

I'm due a visit to the vets for dexter's teeth procedure soon so will ask about the Flamazine. Is this preferable vs the derbymed spray? or do you use both together?

@Walli - I've never heard of vetbed before but have googled it so will look into it. I do use cotton sheets at the moment but constantly washing them as Dex isn't the bed with his toilet routine these days :(

Ok I'm a bit relieved that bandaging isn't the go to treatment for sore hocks, as I dread the thought of having to put it Dex!

Thank you all

Thank you for your replies.

I'm due a visit to the vets for dexter's teeth procedure soon so will ask about the Flamazine. Is this preferable vs the derbymed spray? or do you use both together?

@Walli - I've never heard of vetbed before but have googled it so will look into it. I do use cotton sheets at the moment but constantly washing them as Dex isn't the bed with his toilet routine these days :(

Ok I'm a bit relieved that bandaging isn't the go to treatment for sore hocks, as I dread the thought of having to put it Dex!

Thank you all

It is a case of try the Flamazine for a week and see if it helps. IME what might work for one Rabbit may not work for another.

That’s OK. I hope his Dental treatment goes well :)

Thank you Jack's Jane

He used to have his front incisors trimmed and molars clipped for spurs every month, but for some reason they've slowed and I only have to go in every 3 months or so. Not that either of us are complaining :)

Thank you Jack's Jane

He used to have his front incisors trimmed and molars clipped for spurs every month, but for some reason they've slowed and I only have to go in every 3 months or so. Not that either of us are complaining :)

Bless him, what a brave fella. Tooth growth can slow down as a Bunny ages. It is obviously good news that he does not need a GA every month now :)

I have been using the derbymed spray...and have noticed my rabbit licking where he was sprayed. In your experience Jack's Jane, does this have any harmful effects on rabbits?

Thanks

I have been using the derbymed spray...and have noticed my rabbit licking where he was sprayed. In your experience Jack's Jane, does this have any harmful effects on rabbits?

Thanks

It should not do any harm, but try to distract him from licking his hocks when you first apply the spray. It can help to spray it on to a cosmetic cotton pad and dab it on to the hock. Straight from the can the spray is icy cold.

Bless him, what a brave fella. Tooth growth can slow down as a Bunny ages. It is obviously good news that he does not need a GA every month now :)

That's good to hear tooth growth does slow down with age...i didn't know that, just thought the pellets I gave him were higher in fibre.

It should not do any harm, but try to distract him from licking his hocks when you first apply the spray. It can help to spray it on to a cosmetic cotton pad and dab it on to the hock. Straight from the can the spray is icy cold.

Yes I thought it was odd to just spray on, ok will put it on a cotton pad in that case

I actually apply it on him while he's eating his pellets, so he's too distracted to lick when I spray him :)

Thank you

I have kept Rex Rabbits for 25 years so unfortunately I have had to deal with a lot of cases of sore hocks. Topical treatments I have found to be helpful are Derbymed SCP Spray https://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-...re-c-141_169/derbymed-scp-spray-200ml-p-41660 and Flamazine (this is a POM) https://www.smith-nephew.com/global/assets/pdf/products/wound/spcflamazineuk.pdf

These two are my current favourites but in the past I have used Haemorrhoid Cream ( yes I know !! ) , not the type with hydrocortisone in though. Also Sudocrem and Colloidal Silver Spray.

The fur can grow back, but it does not always do so. IME fur regrowth happens more over the winter months.

Hi Jack's Jane - so the vets also gave me some Flamazine to try - would you recommend I stop the SCP Spray and use Flamazine instead?

Your comment about fur may not grow back over the sores - does that mean I'd have to keep using the above remedies forever, or is it the case of making sure his floor environment is clean/soft to relieve pressures on his feet?

Thanks

Hi Jack's Jane - so the vets also gave me some Flamazine to try - would you recommend I stop the SCP Spray and use Flamazine instead?

Your comment about fur may not grow back over the sores - does that mean I'd have to keep using the above remedies forever, or is it the case of making sure his floor environment is clean/soft to relieve pressures on his feet?

Thanks

I would stop the SCP and just try the Flamazine. If I have a Rabbit that has hocks where fur never grows back I use the Flamazine when the skin gets inflamed. I do not usually have to use it all the time, just if a flare up occurs. Keeping the environment appropriate for managing chronic sore hocks helps too, as well as keeping the nails short and not letting Bunny become overweight.

I would stop the SCP and just try the Flamazine. If I have a Rabbit that has hocks where fur never grows back I use the Flamazine when the skin gets inflamed. I do not usually have to use it all the time, just if a flare up occurs. Keeping the environment appropriate for managing chronic sore hocks helps too, as well as keeping the nails short and not letting Bunny become overweight.

Thank you Jack's Jane

Sorry to repeat your point, but if I see that the skin isn't red and inflamed (say it's a pinkish colour) then I should just stop using any of the treatments? And I'd only start using them again when it the skin looks red and inflamed?

Thank you Jack's Jane

Sorry to repeat your point, but if I see that the skin isn't red and inflamed (say it's a pinkish colour) then I should just stop using any of the treatments? And I'd only start using them again when it the skin looks red and inflamed?

That is what I do for a Rabbit whose hock fur never regrows

Back