• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Hock, weird looking!

I too think that's a fabulous cosy home and it seems that you are doing everything that is recommended for rabbits with sore hocks. I also think it would be worth having an x-ray.

Thank you [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your set up looks lovely. In my experience caring for Rabbits with chronic sore hocks sometimes even fleece can be too abrasive. I usually cover fleece with a cotton sheet :)

Re her not going out in the run, is it because you worry about her hock getting too dirty ? I ask as with sore hocks it is usually important for the Rabbit to exercise. The more sedentary they are the more pressure they put on their hocks.

I've also got these (pictured) which are basically like baby duvets, lightweight covered quilts so like covering with a sheet.

I'll be honest, I'm so stressed and worried about her foot that I dare out her out in the run for fear it will get worse, or open up/tear as there does seem to be a grey/blistered area amongst the pink/red inflamed area.
I know she should be going out, but I'm so worried, scared in fact and the weather is wet and damn which doesn't help as the grass will be wet :(.

33cac99269fed449a989a2f9bd9faa11.png

I've also got these (pictured) which are basically like baby duvets, lightweight covered quilts so like covering with a sheet.

I'll be honest, I'm so stressed and worried about her foot that I dare out her out in the run for fear it will get worse, or open up/tear as there does seem to be a grey/blistered area amongst the pink/red inflamed area.
I know she should be going out, but I'm so worried, scared in fact and the weather is wet and damn which doesn't help as the grass will be wet :(.

33cac99269fed449a989a2f9bd9faa11.png

The would be fine. I used to buy my Rabbit sheets from a local Charity Shop as it was much cheaper !

Has your Vet suggested putting an anti-pressure dressing on your Rabbit's sore hock ? Some Rabbits will tolerate this, others will chew any dressings off within seconds *sigh* ...........

Re the Xray, I would discuss it with the Vet. But given that it would need to be done under GA I would want to ask the Vet whether it would actually provide any further treatment options. Yes, it may confirm arthritis as a primary cause for the sore hock. But it would not change the treatment already being given. I am sure that your Vet will be able to advise you as to whether an Xray is appropriate in your Rabbit's case.

The would be fine. I used to buy my Rabbit sheets from a local Charity Shop as it was much cheaper !

Has your Vet suggested putting an anti-pressure dressing on your Rabbit's sore hock ? Some Rabbits will tolerate this, others will chew any dressings off within seconds *sigh* ...........

Re the Xray, I would discuss it with the Vet. But given that it would need to be done under GA I would want to ask the Vet whether it would actually provide any further treatment options. Yes, it may confirm arthritis as a primary cause for the sore hock. But it would not change the treatment already being given. I am sure that your Vet will be able to advise you as to whether an Xray is appropriate in your Rabbit's case.

I think Foxy would dig the sheets up, all over the hutch - her latest thing, digging up, tearing at blankets [emoji45].
Pinning it down as much as possible, helps!

When I initially spotted the pool of blood on her foot, and rushed her to the vets that's when we attempted the bandages but it just didn't happen. First few attempts she ripped them straight off within seconds or minutes or it was on too tight and her foot swelled, so we basically gave up.
The thing is, the hock that opened is now healed it's the hock on the other foot that is inflamed and being difficult, but she still thumps to show her disapproval, carries on as she was before.

I didn't realise the X-ray had to be done under GA, that worries me and I expect is the reason it hasn't been suggested yet.
I will speak to the vet when Foxy goes back a week tomorrow.

Just keep doing what I'm doing I guess, monitoring and meloxaid twice a day.

I think Foxy would dig the sheets up, all over the hutch - her latest thing, digging up, tearing at blankets [emoji45].
Pinning it down as much as possible, helps!

When I initially spotted the pool of blood on her foot, and rushed her to the vets that's when we attempted the bandages but it just didn't happen. First few attempts she ripped them straight off within seconds or minutes or it was on too tight and her foot swelled, so we basically gave up.
The thing is, the hock that opened is now healed it's the hock on the other foot that is inflamed and being difficult, but she still thumps to show her disapproval, carries on as she was before.

I didn't realise the X-ray had to be done under GA, that worries me and I expect is the reason it hasn't been suggested yet.
I will speak to the vet when Foxy goes back a week tomorrow.

Just keep doing what I'm doing I guess, monitoring and meloxaid twice a day.

It doesn't necessarily need a GA, but it depends on the vet. Best to discuss with them their plan .. I make boots for my rabbits' sore hocks but I haven't got them on general release yet!

How do you make little socks?

Are you good at sewing? They are really easy. I make cotton socks and then some bootees. Waterproof if the bun goes outside.

I am not a fan of the 'pipe lagging' method of healing hocks, as it causes problems with displacing hips when the rabbit hops, potentially causing further problems :)

Thank you x. How bad are your boys hocks? What type of things do you do to relieve them? I'm probably already doing everything, but good to check.

They are bad right now. :( Ulcers, cracks, bleeding and a bit infected. A week earlier I checked his feet and they were mildly irritated so I applied some Bag Balm ointment. It just goes to show how quickly sore hocks can go from irritated to very bad. He saw two vets, since the first one was useless. He's on Baytril, Metacam and the current vet treating him put a special ointment and then wrapped his feet. His bandages have to be changed weekly and he has to have them on for a few weeks.

Dunkin's sad feet:
30773027052_3fae0668fa.jpg

So now I'm having to really think of ways to avoid this happening again, since he was already on soft fabrics and now will be very prone to it happening again. We are in very similar situations. I bought 6ft long vet fleece to try. Like I said, I'm also considering getting an x-ray. I could just treat him like he has arthritis and avoid spending the money, but I personally like knowing what I'm dealing with. Where is the arthritis and how bad is it? These are things I would like to know that way I can help him better.

They are bad right now. :( Ulcers, cracks, bleeding and a bit infected. A week earlier I checked his feet and they were mildly irritated so I applied some Bag Balm ointment. It just goes to show how quickly sore hocks can go from irritated to very bad. He saw two vets, since the first one was useless. He's on Baytril, Metacam and the current vet treating him put a special ointment and then wrapped his feet. His bandages have to be changed weekly and he has to have them on for a few weeks.

Dunkin's sad feet:

So now I'm having to really think of ways to avoid this happening again, since he was already on soft fabrics and now will be very prone to it happening again. We are in very similar situations. I bought 6ft long vet fleece to try. Like I said, I'm also considering getting an x-ray. I could just treat him like he has arthritis and avoid spending the money, but I personally like knowing what I'm dealing with. Where is the arthritis and how bad is it? These are things I would like to know that way I can help him better.

Poor lad :cry: Did the Vet explain why the dressing are only changed weekly ? As they are not been changed more regularly did the Vet also show you how to check that the dressings are not interfering with blood circulation to your Rabbit's feet ?

Dunkin's sad feet:

I do agree with you :thumb:

An X-Ray can provide a lot of very useful information for future treatment and management

Poor lad :cry: Did the Vet explain why the dressing are only changed weekly ? As they are not been changed more regularly did the Vet also show you how to check that the dressings are not interfering with blood circulation to your Rabbit's feet ?

The bandages are to promote scar tissue, protect the granulation and keep his feet clean. Also, so he wouldn't lick at the ointment they applied. Maybe part of the reason only weekly is because Dunkin gets stressed out easily when held and will hyperventilate. I was told to sniff his feet regularly. Seems like an odd request at first, but a foul odor would signify infection.

The rabbit rescue I volunteer at showed me how to promote good blood circulation in his feet by rubbing them. Actually, the first day he had his bandages his left foot started swelling. I took him to the rabbit rescue and we rewrapped it. The rescue also gave him sub-q fluids because at that time he wasn't drinking or eating much. It really perked him up and he's been doing good since.

I'm very lucky to live near such a great rabbit rescue. They don't mind getting my panicked text messages :lol:

The bandages are to promote scar tissue, protect the granulation and keep his feet clean. Also, so he wouldn't lick at the ointment they applied. Maybe part of the reason only weekly is because Dunkin gets stressed out easily when held and will hyperventilate. I was told to sniff his feet regularly. Seems like an odd request at first, but a foul odor would signify infection.

The rabbit rescue I volunteer at showed me how to promote good blood circulation in his feet by rubbing them. Actually, the first day he had his bandages his left foot started swelling. I took him to the rabbit rescue and we rewrapped it. The rescue also gave him sub-q fluids because at that time he wasn't drinking or eating much. It really perked him up and he's been doing good since.

I'm very lucky to live near such a great rabbit rescue. They don't mind getting my panicked text messages :lol:

Sounds as though you have a good support network to help you manage your Rabbit's sore hocks. I know how distressing it can be to have a Rabbit with hock problems xx

Great to have such support nearby! I feel that too as I volunteer for rescue. I get a broad base of experience from the cases that come in that we have to deal with.

Aww Akire, I'm sorry about bunnies feet. Poor thing. Hope they get better soon.

How do you know when there is scar tissue? As Foxy's has a grey area, and the vet has said it's either scar tissue or the beginnings of an infection.

I love the support of this forum also, really good advice.

Back