• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Front leg - Advice needed

Hello, we have a 7 month old Flemish giant; a few days ago he banged his front leg whilst having a mad moment in the living room and immediately held it up and started limping. Took him to the vets and they said that they don't think he's broken anything but said his elbow is very swollen. Been given Meloxicom for 5 days and if he doesn't improve we'll take him back for some X-rays.

He's normally a very quiet bunny and is blind in both eyes so sometimes does struggle getting about, however he seems very quiet right now, he's very reluctant to move at all - is this normal when recovering from a poorly leg? Or a side effect from the painkillers? He won't eat any hay but is eating plenty of pellets and veggies and seems to be poo'ing normally.

Perhaps being overly cautious right now, but just want to know if all this sounds normal? And if anyone knows how I can tempt him to eat his hay? Or suggest any brands we could try to tempt him with?

Thanks

Sorry your Bunny has hurt his leg and I hope it heals well. I cannot advise anymore on this but regarding the hay - has he always refused to eat it or is it just since he hurt his leg. How many pellets do you give him?

He's only refused to eat it since he's hurt his leg, he would eat anything and everything before. Currently giving him unlimited pellets as I'm worried about him not eating.

Hopefully one of our knowledgeable folk will be along to comment on the side effects you can expect from the medication.
Have you tried picking some dandelion leaves, plantain, bramble leaves or some fresh herbs with your bun.
I agree if they are not eating properly it is tempting to offer anything to ensure they do eat, but over feeding pellets will make your bun less likely to want to eat hay.
Our buns current favourite hay is one from a local horse feed supplier, but the Timothy Hay from www.timothyhay.co.uk is a close second
Richard

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

It did cross my mind that perhaps he's filling up on the pellets. Will try a different brand of hay, less pellets and pick him some dandelions - see if we can perk him up a bit.

He has Loxicom twice daily.

What dose ?he may need additional analgesia

Is his poo output OK , it is important to be on the look out for pain induced gut stasis. If he is still seeming to be in a lot of pain I’d call the Vet today for additional advice. Whilst he is in pain don’t worry too much about lack of hay eating, for now the most important thing is that he eats something. So don’t try to cut back on pellets if it is all he will eat atm. Warding off pain induced gut stasis is essential.

I agree with checking he's getting sufficient pain relief, and avoiding gut stasis.

His confidence may also have taken a knock as he's blind and hurt himself, so moving about now hurts and could potentially hurt himself again. Maybe try sprinkling the pellets in a safe area around him to see if he will sniff them out and move a bit more, which will help keep his guts moving.

When he's recovered, have you thought about getting him a companion rabbit? They do better with their own kind for company, and in this case it may help him become more confident if he has a guide.

I agree with checking he's getting sufficient pain relief, and avoiding gut stasis.

His confidence may also have taken a knock as he's blind and hurt himself, so moving about now hurts and could potentially hurt himself again. Maybe try sprinkling the pellets in a safe area around him to see if he will sniff them out and move a bit more, which will help keep his guts moving.

When he's recovered, have you thought about getting him a companion rabbit? They do better with their own kind for company, and in this case it may help him become more confident if he has a guide.

^^ This was my thoughts too. I also agree getting a companion would be helpful with his confidence and mobility.

What does of meloxicom is he on? It sounds like he is still possibly in a bit of pain.
Try finding some fresh grass as an alternative to hay too, look for stuff that is long enough to pick but is cut regularly as it will be sweeter than the long old grass.

Back