• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sophie's losing weight

You were right to have vet give her a check, because it is best to catch any issues early. Thankfully vet recommended more pellets which I suspect Sophie will gladly eat.

I do wonder how you will give Sophie extra pellets without having Casper eat them first.

Sending vibes her weight will increase and/or stabilize with more pellets.

The unknown is scary, so I hope vet was able to allay your concerns.

Could it be maybe time of year, more active during spring, summer months then autumn, winter months?.that could influence weight differences
Hmm... Good point. I did notice she's been more active the last couple of days, but that's only a few days. I don't think there's been a noticeable difference between the seasons?

You were right to have vet give her a check, because it is best to catch any issues early. Thankfully vet recommended more pellets which I suspect Sophie will gladly eat.

I do wonder how you will give Sophie extra pellets without having Casper eat them first.

Sending vibes her weight will increase and/or stabilize with more pellets.

The unknown is scary, so I hope vet was able to allay your concerns.
I'm glad you think I did the right thing in having her get a vet check, bunny momma, and thank you for the vibes. I give Casper and Sophie their pellets separately these days since they kept getting aggressive over them, so it'll be easy to make sure Casper won't eat Sophie's pellets. She definitely liked her extra pellets yesterday evening. :love: I am less concerned now, though I'll still worry a bit until I see that she's actually gaining weight with more pellets.

I weighed Sophie today during her weekly checkup, and she's 2.169 kg now, which is a healthy weight for her. Seems like the extra pellets were all she needed! She's been really enjoying them, too. :love:

I weighed Sophie today during her weekly checkup, and she's 2.169 kg now, which is a healthy weight for her. Seems like the extra pellets were all she needed! She's been really enjoying them, too. :love:

how much pellets do you give them per day? Every site says something different, I'm confused about it.

how much pellets do you give them per day? Every site says something different, I'm confused about it.
Right now they get 50g together, but Sophie gets most of it. Casper doesn't get much. Generally it's said 25g per kg bunny, but it depends on the bunny, really. Some need more, some need less, and some bunnies don't get pellets at all. What does it say on the bag of the pellets you give Cookie?

Right now they get 50g together, but Sophie gets most of it. Casper doesn't get much. Generally it's said 25g per kg bunny, but it depends on the bunny, really. Some need more, some need less, and some bunnies don't get pellets at all. What does it say on the bag of the pellets you give Cookie?

Pellets for rabbits are almost not sold in Turkey. I only buy the pellet in the picture. Because what is sold under the name of rabbit pellet in Turkey is sheep pellet. So this is the only pellet I know of to be accurate, reliable as a pellet suitable for rabbits. I have no idea how much carbohydrate this pellet contains, how healthy it is. :|

Pellets for rabbits are almost not sold in Turkey. I only buy the pellet in the picture. Because what is sold under the name of rabbit pellet in Turkey is sheep pellet. So this is the only pellet I know of to be accurate, reliable as a pellet suitable for rabbits. I have no idea how much carbohydrate this pellet contains, how healthy it is. :|

https://imguh.com/image/4mKg2
https://imguh.com/image/4m90d

I have not seen these pellets before. They seem to have some healthy ingredients on them. Some are more for weight gain like alfafa hay and pea flakes I think.

I don't know how healthy they are though! Somebody on here could probably explain the breakdown of ingredients though. However you can only work with what you can get hold of aswell. This may be the best pellets you can actually buy in Turkey xx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

While it's not ideal to not know what and how many nutrients it contains, I wouldn't worry too much about it if Cookie is doing well on them. They seem to be mostly made of hay and other plants, so that's good.

While it's not ideal to not know what and how many nutrients it contains, I wouldn't worry too much about it if Cookie is doing well on them. They seem to be mostly made of hay and other plants, so that's good.

Thank you so much. Since my access to information is limited, I stick to and ask anyone who knows on the forum. Hhahaa :lol:

It is good news that Sophie has gained weight and that she is enjoying her pellets [emoji4]

I am sorry I only just seen this post. When I am sick I just keep to the subscribed posts I have already as it is enough to cope with. Now I feel a bit better I am trying to catch up on the other posts!

It is actually good reading for me right now as Mischief has lost weight so I have an personal interest in this. However I love Sophie so much. She is a sweet little bunny and I follow Casper and her with great interest [emoji173]

I hope she continues to do well with the extra pellets. Casper's weighy is lovely and steady though! And well done keeping their weights recorded. I tended to do that monthly with Mischief and then he was sick and I realised weight was a good clue to catching possible health problems early. I now will record both their weights weekly [emoji4] xx

I'm so glad Sophies weight has come back up!

My two share 7g of nuggets [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787] I feel mean but they put tons of weight on if I give more.

This is closest to what I feed but not sure I'd be happy with the carrot content my guys are banned from them.

https://www.amazon.com.tr/Versele-L...1&keywords=tavşan+yemi&qid=1629739462&sr=8-11

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
Thank you. :love:

Aw, compared to Rodney and Blossom Sophie and Casper get loads! :lol: But that's good that yours don't need many nuggets, so they can eat lots of hay instead. :D

It is good news that Sophie has gained weight and that she is enjoying her pellets [emoji4]

I am sorry I only just seen this post. When I am sick I just keep to the subscribed posts I have already as it is enough to cope with. Now I feel a bit better I am trying to catch up on the other posts!

It is actually good reading for me right now as Mischief has lost weight so I have an personal interest in this. However I love Sophie so much. She is a sweet little bunny and I follow Casper and her with great interest [emoji173]

I hope she continues to do well with the extra pellets. Casper's weighy is lovely and steady though! And well done keeping their weights recorded. I tended to do that monthly with Mischief and then he was sick and I realised weight was a good clue to catching possible health problems early. I now will record both their weights weekly [emoji4] xx

Thank you. :love: And that's okay. I know it can be overwhelming trying to read everything when you're not well! Mischief losing weight made me think of Sophie, too. I hope he will gain his weight back with more pellets just like Sophie did. :) And, aw, thank you for loving Sophie. She'll be pleased to hear that, I bet. :love: I used to weigh the bunnies only once a month, too, but I started doing it weekly a few years ago as I feel like that gives a more accurate idea. I put their weights into an app and it gives me a nice little graph of their weights over time, which is helpful to see, I think.

Thank you. :love: And that's okay. I know it can be overwhelming trying to read everything when you're not well! Mischief losing weight made me think of Sophie, too. I hope he will gain his weight back with more pellets just like Sophie did. :) And, aw, thank you for loving Sophie. She'll be pleased to hear that, I bet. :love: I used to weigh the bunnies only once a month, too, but I started doing it weekly a few years ago as I feel like that gives a more accurate idea. I put their weights into an app and it gives me a nice little graph of their weights over time, which is helpful to see, I think.
Oooooo! I didn't think of an app! What app do you use. I'm getting excited at the thought! [emoji38]

Mischief feels like he is gaining weight now so I am less concerned thank you. He doesn't feel quite so bony. It was very alarming [emoji20]

I love Sophie! And Casper too of course! He is a cutie too [emoji173]

good news - especially that she is enjoying them too
Thank you. She loves her pellets. :love:

Oooooo! I didn't think of an app! What app do you use. I'm getting excited at the thought! [emoji38]

Mischief feels like he is gaining weight now so I am less concerned thank you. He doesn't feel quite so bony. It was very alarming [emoji20]

I love Sophie! And Casper too of course! He is a cutie too [emoji173]

:lol: I use 11pets: https://www.11pets.com/en I really like it! You can keep track of their weight and medications and illnesses and other things, and there's room for notes about vet visits and other things that might happen in their life.

I'm really glad Mischief isn't feeling quite so bony now. That's so understandable that you were so alarmed.

Aw, I'll tell him you said so. :love:

Thank you. She loves her pellets. :love:

[emoji38] I use 11pets: https://www.11pets.com/en I really like it! You can keep track of their weight and medications and illnesses and other things, and there's room for notes about vet visits and other things that might happen in their life.

I'm really glad Mischief isn't feeling quite so bony now. That's so understandable that you were so alarmed.

Aw, I'll tell him you said so. :love:
Oh thank you so much for the app! I didn't know there was such a thing. I'm going on there now! I'm so excited I can't tell you! I'm a secret geek I think [emoji38]

Mischief is feeling a lot more like himself now (as in more rounded) in only a few days as I can definitely feel he has put on some weight. We shall find out on Thursday.

Awww give them both a kiss from me and the bunnies! Sophie and Casper are so adorable and have a special place in my heart. You are an inspiration to me with your lovely photos and amazing bunny room for them [emoji178]

Oh thank you so much for the app! I didn't know there was such a thing. I'm going on there now! I'm so excited I can't tell you! I'm a secret geek I think [emoji38]

Mischief is feeling a lot more like himself now (as in more rounded) in only a few days as I can definitely feel he has put on some weight. We shall find out on Thursday.

Awww give them both a kiss from me and the bunnies! Sophie and Casper are so adorable and have a special place in my heart. You are an inspiration to me with your lovely photos and amazing bunny room for them [emoji178]

I like that you're so excited to try out the app, haha. :lol: I hope you maybe find it useful!

I really hope that when you weigh Mischief on Thursday you'll see that he has indeed gained weight, like you can feel he has.

Aww, that's honestly so sweet of you to say. :love: I have tried to give them a kiss from you and the bunnies, but Casper ran away and Sophie looked really startled. :lol: They're not used to kisses. :lol:

I like that you're so excited to try out the app, haha. :lol: I hope you maybe find it useful!

I really hope that when you weigh Mischief on Thursday you'll see that he has indeed gained weight, like you can feel he has.

Aww, that's honestly so sweet of you to say. :love: I have tried to give them a kiss from you and the bunnies, but Casper ran away and Sophie looked really startled. :lol: They're not used to kisses. :lol:

Aa don't you kiss them? :D Cookie even kisses me on the lips, I gave him kiss training :D I kiss cookie 24/7 :lol:

Aa don't you kiss them? :D Cookie even kisses me on the lips, I gave him kiss training :D I kiss cookie 24/7 :lol:
Not really! I would definitely not let a bunny kiss me on the lips; I know where that bunny mouth has been and what it has been eating! :lol:

Back