• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something is going wrong

I think that perhaps "being cruel to be kind" to promote hay eating needs to be the mantra. Problem is we all want to spoil our pets but sometimes we really aren't doing them any favours. I know Bella cat would love a piece of cheese when she smells it and I find it very difficult not to give in so sometimes I let her have an itsy bitsy shaving. What has happened, though, is that I hardly eat cheese at all now! :love:

Awww, he does sound a bit like a spoiled child. :ROFLMAO: I'm glad he's eating his hay, though. πŸ₯° I hope that's all it was, that he was getting too many other things instead of hay and it upset his tummy. It's so easy to spoil them, I know. 😁

Reactions: KCG
I think that perhaps "being cruel to be kind" to promote hay eating needs to be the mantra. Problem is we all want to spoil our pets but sometimes we really aren't doing them any favours. I know Bella cat would love a piece of cheese when she smells it and I find it very difficult not to give in so sometimes I let her have an itsy bitsy shaving. What has happened, though, is that I hardly eat cheese at all now! :love:
Yes really hard. I also forgot to eat fruit at home, I don't even remember the last time I ate fruit. β˜ΉοΈπŸ˜‚ Not eating cheese is also a huge problem omg, it's a staple food for me good luck β˜ΉοΈβ˜ΉοΈπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

its nice to hear Cookie is eating his hay like a good boy 😍
Thank you 🩷🩷
Awww, he does sound a bit like a spoiled child. :ROFLMAO: I'm glad he's eating his hay, though. πŸ₯° I hope that's all it was, that he was getting too many other things instead of hay and it upset his tummy. It's so easy to spoil them, I know. 😁
I hope it continues like this tonight and other days and that's the only reason. And of course, unfortunately, we spoil them, but they are so cute that it's hard to resist even when they're begging β˜ΉοΈβ˜ΉοΈπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I want to ask something, I have been giving Cookie emeprid and fibreplex for 4 days. How long does it take for the medication to take full effect and for cookie to return to normal?

I want to ask something, I have been giving Cookie emeprid and fibreplex for 4 days. How long does it take for the medication to take full effect and for cookie to return to normal?
It really depends what was causing his stasis episode & even with the same condition, all rabbits are different in how they respond to health conditions & treatment. However if his poops were small because he'd been having too many treats & so not eating enough hay, I would expect things to have resolved after 4 days of treatment & decent hay eating? Like Reader of Books' bunnies Boo won't drink if she is poorly either. I'm wondering if maybe he has some dental spurs that weren't visible at check up.
I think it'd be worth finding out who is the most experienced rabbit vet at the practice & ask them for another consult

I also want to ask you something
It really depends what was causing his stasis episode & even with the same condition, all rabbits are different in how they respond to health conditions & treatment. However if his poops were small because he'd been having too many treats & so not eating enough hay, I would expect things to have resolved after 4 days of treatment & decent hay eating? Like Reader of Books' bunnies Boo won't drink if she is poorly either. I'm wondering if maybe he has some dental spurs that weren't visible at check up.
I think it'd be worth finding out who is the most experienced rabbit vet at the practice & ask them for another consult
So I'm confused too. Cookie is extremely eager to eat, never reluctant, he eats whatever I give him. But I think there's too much variety in his diet and that's why he's less inclined to eat hay. If this happened because of the treat, I think the situation is like this "'cookie got gassy because of the banana, and then because he was in pain, he got mega picky and wanted to eat things he liked, which made it worse, it entered a vicious circle". There is still a lot of poop output, he still poops the same number as before, but the poops are small and hard.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge about water. If I don't see any positive progress this week, I'm considering visiting the vet again and would like a more thorough investigation.

A new update. Because of Cookie's stringy poop, I think we found the reason for Cookie's stasis(fur problem), together with @Graciee . I also take painkillers(novacam) for Cookie from the vet today, if he doesn't get better we will go to the vet again on saturday. I hope he recovers quickly. Thanks for your support 🩷🩷

A new update Cookie isn't getting any better, there is no improvement in poops. The poop output is still high, but it was the same before emeprid. I noticed that Cookie's pain was increasing for 2 days and yesterday morning I asked for painkillers from the vet, they gave me Novacam once a day. But even so, Cookie isn't well, he did a lot of teeth grinding last night, he was like that for hours, he continues this morning☹️. So today I made an appointment with Cookie's own vet (the previous vet was an emergency appointment, Cookie's own vet did not see him). The problem and the reason are now clear; GI stasis caused by fur ingestion. Because I realized the reason late, Cookie did not get early treatment, then the vet did not give adequate treatment, everything continued with ridicilous. That's why Cookie has been sick for 10 days. At least now the diagnosis and treatment options are clear, I want Cookie to see his own vet, because maybe this way better meds or better meds doses can be updated. Thank you for your vibrations and prayers.🩷🩷

Ah. Well at least a reason has been found at last. Hoping a visit with your regular vet will help too. More vibes that Cookie will improve soon. xxxx

Did they give you medication for fur ingestation? I don't know much about his at all to be honest. And we are finding poo strands all the time at the moment. We think they are from Mischief's four, either by Chief cleaning himself and/or Lilabelle cleaning Mischief. I was going to ask the vet about this.

He has really long fur and although it may not show in photos he has a lot of thick fur underneath. We are constantly brushing him but he hates it when you clean underneath or near his tail. Do you have the same problem with Cookie?

I am so glad you know what is wrong. When I read that Cookie has not been well for 10 days I was worried for you and Cookie. I hope the vets could give you some medication or somethng to ease his suffering. Poor little Cookie. Sending you lots and lots of vibes that Cookie will get better quickly πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™

Last edited:
I'm pleased that you now know the cause for Cookie being unwell. Fur ingestion is very common at this time of the year because it's the time of moulting. Make sure you brush Cookie regularly and also that he eats lots of hay to help the fur pass through him. Lots of vibes that he is fully back to normal soon.

Sending more vibes for you and Cookie. I hope he has the right meds now and that he will soon make a full recovery.

Did they give you medication for fur ingestation? I don't know much about his at all to be honest. And we are finding poo strands all the time at the moment. We think they are from Mischief's four, either by Chief cleaning himself and/or Lilabelle cleaning Mischief. I was going to ask the vet about this.

He has really long fur and although it may not show in photos he has a lot of thick fur underneath. We are constantly brushing him but he hates it when you clean underneath or near his tail. Do you have the same problem with Cookie?

I am so glad you know what is wrong. When I read that Cookie has not been well for 10 days I was worried for you and Cookie. I hope the vets could give you some medication or somethng to ease his suffering. Poor little Cookie. Sending you lots and lots of vibes that Cookie will get better quickly πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™
Frankly, always pay attention to this. You know, the vet has always been full of rabbits, because it's molting season, stasis is very common in rabbits right now. I think you should watch and think carefully about everything, I hope little Mischichef went to the vet today and started treatment. 🩷🩷

Back