• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Someone advertising hutch as "hamster hutch!!"

Delphinum said:
I've seen some american breeders who keep their rabbits in cages not unlike that lab cage... I was shocked when I saw some of them... :( These are animals, not inanimate objects to be put in a cabinet and kept until ready to use.

I know, there are some very cruel people in this world, some are deliberately cruel and some are just thick & dont realise how much room a bunny or guinea actually needs. :cry:

Pet shops are the worst offenders.

I've worked in a few while gaining my small animal husbandry courses and was shocked at what they just pass through their check outs.
Cages built to be cheap and small with no legs being sold alongside (I’m talking not big enough for one piggy) a Dutch to go outdoors. Not one of the members of staff selling that rabbit mentioned that the cage will be far to small for a happy rabbit and that it doesn't even have legs to keep it away from the cold wet ground. I tried to help but the staff being older then me just shoved me in a different direction

Staff are selling lives they should be trained to sell the best with all their pets and to offer the right information.
Jo public assume you know about animals when you work in a pet shop.

I have only ever worked in two (well 1 and a half the last shop was a pit but there were a few members who really knew their stuff) where a complete sale offering the best advice and helping them see the suitable and unsuitable accommodations for their pet.

I miss working with animals and knowing I have changed peoples view for the better

:shock: some people should be shot :x I cant believen anyone could contemplate keeping their 'beloved' pets in these type of prisons. BRING BACK CORPORAL PUNISHMENT :wink:

I am a bit late on this but here it goes. The US is very different when it comes to rabbits, pets in general. About half of the people here do the research, make the comitment, and take proper care of their pets. The other half have no idea what they are doing. The walk into a petshop and say "Oh, what a cute bunny, I am going to buy it." These people then buy the piece of junk "set-up" that the pet store has put together, leaving out important things (hay, hay rack, chew toy, food) and sell a cage that is to small. The original rabbit cage I have I only use if it is an emergency. I used it when two little boys in my litter got into a fight and bloodied eachother up, and that was only because it was that or let them kill eachother! I wish there was an orginization in the US that educated people about rabbits and/or was a reliable rabbit rescue center.

All in all it is a sad story, but it is what it is.

The best thing about American rabbit care in my view is the House rabbit society: http://www.rabbit.org/

I think they were the ones who really got house rabbits accepted and they have loads of good info on their site - they also run chapters across the US that are involved in rescue!

If it wasn't for them my hubby wouldn't have thought about buying me a rabbit for indoors (I had never heard of it and thought all rabbits lived in hutches outside ;) )!

Caz

Buns can't live outside year round in most parts of the US. Most people get them trained and put them on harnesses and go for walks, and we build out door runs for their outside time. All three of my buns have never even seen outside. In fact 2 of them (Willie and Ashlee) have never left my room since the day they were born! When I get some cash I am building them a run outside and they will spend lots of time out there. Indoor buns are very common in the US. But most people hear still think of them as some big smelly rodent that eats their flowers and has litter like crazy in their back yards. It is really sad when they do that because lots of people here have fenced in yards with indoor dogs. When they get let out for their bathroom break they wreak havic on the bunny nests :cry:.

Got to go!

Back