• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sofa weeing problem

Hello - We have a very, very well behaved 3month old french lop - well that is until he gets onto the leather sofa!!! As soon as he does he has to wee - its not everytime but recently its become abit of a pattern. Its impossible to keep him off the settees so im trying to look for a solution and was hoping someone else may have shared and concurred this issue. We have laid towels on them in the hope to stop it sinking straight thorough as we have porous sofas that just suck up the wee leaving a stain (not a good look @ all). At the end of my teather with it - PLEASE HELP!!! :(

Hi there :wave:

Not sure that I have a solution to this one, but we definitely have the same problem. We like to bring our bun on to the sofa for cuddle time, and like your rabbit, she inevitably needs to wee at some point, and ends up using a corner of the sofa.

Since we want to continue to let her on to the sofa, we have learnt to live with it as best we can... We lay a picnic blanket down on the sofa before she is allowed on to it. This has the benefit of being nice and soft on top, but waterproof underneath, so that nothing can soak on to the sofa. We then have a supply of super-absorbent kitchen roll to hand. She tends to always use the same corner of the sofa to wee, so we put down a couple of sheets of paper in the corner. As soon as she has weed we get rid of this and replace it with new sheets. This means that often the wee doesn't even soak through on to the blanket.

Admittedly this isn't a particularly attractive option (especially if we have company :oops:), but at least it stops the sofa from getting wet and smelly.

Ok, i have some tips, but they may not work for you. Firstly it could be a territoral thing, shes saying 'this is mine', so id get her booked in for a spay when shes old enough (usually 5-6 months), as its usually due to hormones. My female had a nipping issue that kicked in at about 3 months, she'd come up to anyone and nip them, for no real reason, but that all stopped about a month after being spayed.

Now for other advise in the meantime- the oly thing i can think of is putting a litter tray where she wees, if its always the same area it should work, that way she can use the sofa but theres no way itll go through.

Other than that the picnic blanket idea sounds good- just make sure its one of those waterproof ones, otherwise some plastic from a diy shop wth a towel/blanket on top would work the same, and probably easier to wash if she weed on it.

Phew least their are more people out there with the same issue - we actually started using the picnic blanket last night as my mum suggested we give it a go - so far though he hates it (scratches and bites it no end) but no wee's!!! Its really annoying as he has done it three times now and has never urinated anywhere else outside of his litter tray - i think sometimes he does it out of protest to having guests over or something - or maybe he gets a little too excited as he will do it anywhere on the settee not in the corners or anything. Im hoping if no one has a solution or any other ideas we can try that maybe once hes been neutred it might stop - we have to be hopeful huh lol

Mine used to do this all the time, especially on the top of the settee which then progressed to my shoulders and then me and then basically anywhere higher up than me, be it whether i was standing or sitting.
once neutered it stopped completly, now he won't go anywhere but a litter tray

Our bun was spayed 3 weeks ago... still having the same problem with weeing on the sofa at the moment (and she's still digging like crazy). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these things are going to calm down soon though! :roll::lol:

Ok,I hate to tell you this but there is no solution!!:lol:B was 3 months old when we got her[also a french lop].Sofa was brand new as last bun never jumped on sofa so didn't think about it when bought it.B weed on it from the word go.We put litter trays up there which she threw on floor,put rugs over it,cleaned it in god knows what.Nothing,not even neuturing,worked as the sofa was too well scented.As sofa was new we just cleaned it as best we could-thank goodness it was leather!The final straw was when we got dill this year & he copyed B & started weeing up there too.We then threw away our less than 3 year old sofa!I hope your story ends better!!:D

My bun used to wee on my bed (I think it was an attraction to soft things). As soon as I provided her with more litter trays with hay, she got the idea.

Now if she's in the living room and needs a wee, she'll run back to her cage in my room and do her business :D When this isn't possible, I just place a litter tray in the living room and she uses that.

Back